Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
X2 FOR SURE!!!
I learned left is right and right is left at eighteen...
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #22

How do you level a fifth wheel trailer side to side, if it doesn't have auto leveling?

The front gear are now two where I used to only have one Jack.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #23

First you have to try to level by putting boards, ligos, or whatever makes the trailer level side to side. We carry 4' 2x10's for that. Once you are within a half bubble side to side then you can disconnect the truck. Then level front to back for level that way. Don't need to get it any better than that.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
How do you level a fifth wheel trailer side to side, if it doesn't have auto leveling?

I use Anderson levelers for the low side tires, a big upgrade from the previous 2x8s, view here: https://www.amazon.com/Leveler-Ander...dp/B01LYQ1Z8S/

Each landing gear foot has a row of lock holes so the feet can be set to different lengths.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
I use Anderson levelers for the low side tires, a big upgrade from the previous 2x8s, view here: https://www.amazon.com/Leveler-Ander...dp/B01LYQ1Z8S/

Each landing gear foot has a row of lock holes so the feet can be set to different lengths.
Thanks, the holes in the legs are what I was wondering about. I have the Camco copies of the Andersen levelers.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #26

Quote:

I bought one of these all in one bottle jack stands to use if I had a flat. Then I bought a second one to use to level the RV side to side. I do that after I level front to rear. I can set the level of the roof to drain the two ACs toward the left rear of the RV and the drain in the shower will still drain properly. I set them under the front spring hanger brackets on each side. It took the bounce out of the floor after leveling with the front landing gear and rear stabilizer. No need for blocks under tires.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ll-in-one-jack

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #27

Yes 5ers are easier to hook up but they also can be more of a problem, easy hit tail gate if up. Also, short box hitches usually slide to the back to avoid hitting trailer overhang on the truck cab. I put out a rear window on our RAM 1500 due to bumpy ground and not using the slider. Also, tuneau cover tracks can get in the way of the trailer or hitch.

Backing up is not that different. The Bloody trailer goes where ever it wants, not where your wife is pointing, yelling, hoping...
MikeandGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #28

Pass on the Jayco’s.

We upgraded from a travel trailer 2 years ago to a Jayco fifth wheel. First, just let me say - “they don’t make them like they used too.” This is our 4th RV and we’re very disappointed with with it. Jayco really cheaped out on a lot of things. We had to replace 2 of the faucets do to poor design, our Norcold Refrigerator does not work properly and the answer we where given by both Norcold and Jayco is “if you’re in an environment that’s over 85 degrees for more than 6 days, you have to expect some failure.” Well, just where can you go in the summer that will stay under 85 degrees? Poor response...

I can list multiple other issues, but I’d stay away from the fifth wheel by Jayco. Also, ours hasn’t bounced across the country either - it went from the dealer to our seasonal site. I can’t imagine how this would hold up being used as an actual trailer, traveling cross country.
Tony from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #29

Quote:
The Andersen is it for me. Being able to easily remove the hitch to get the truck bed back is pretty important to me.
I agree 100% with the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. It tows great and I love being able to remove it so easily and get my truck's bed back for other things!! Love our new FW versus 3 TT's we've had over the years.
FlaFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #30

Also, this seems simple, but make sure the 5th wheel is locked into the hitch. On my first trip I tore up a good truck bed, by being careless
beachcommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #31

Speaking from experience, remove the tail gate for awhile until you get used to hooking and unhooking. I doubt there are many fifth wheelers out there that haven’t experienced the oh crap bent tailgate moment.
camper Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #32

I made the switch from TT to 5er in August. My challenge has been learning how to back it up. We moved from a 17 TT to a 36.5 5er I love the easy of towing and setting up. I have the Auto level. Wider turns and backing have taken practice and looking.
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #33

Quote:
We are upgrading from the travel trailer to a fifth wheel after many years of camping. What should I know about the differences? Upside, downside makes no difference to me; all insight is welcome.

All in a effort to NOT do this later:
Ditto to the wider turns. Dealing with about 3 tons more weight so typically you need a 350 or 3500 size diesel truck. At 50 amps, more is required of your electrical connections, so consider an electrical management system that will protect your appliances, etc. Tire monitoring is more important as tires are handling more weight and can wear out faster, more damagingly, etc. If you are a state or national park user, they many times they have length limitations to consider. We prefer not to use outdoor storage.
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #34

Thumbs up Love It

First off, you're going to love it. A 5th wheel is so much easier to drive, they follow your truck with no swaying, no creaking of the load leveling hitch. Your turns will be a little wider and backing up will take a little practice, but you're going to love the ease of towing.

Be sure and watch for clearances as 5th wheels are a little taller and enjoy!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #35

On the drive home, the trailer did follow well. It was a bit Gusty, but the little truck just kept tracking straight. Frankly that part wasn't much different than my experience with the Andersen No Sway hitch.

I did have some bouncing and a bit of a harsh ride at times. I never had that with any pull behind. I don't know if the empty trailer might be hitch light or if it was just touching the overload springs. But harsh bouncing was not enjoyable. There were some road sections that would have made me sick if they continued. Again, my old Andersen might have spoiled me for its lack of bounce.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #36

Quote:
On the drive home, the trailer did follow well. It was a bit Gusty, but the little truck just kept tracking straight. Frankly that part wasn't much different than my experience with the Andersen No Sway hitch.

I did have some bouncing and a bit of a harsh ride at times. I never had that with any pull behind. I don't know if the empty trailer might be hitch light or if it was just touching the overload springs. But harsh bouncing was not enjoyable. There were some road sections that would have made me sick if they continued. Again, my old Andersen might have spoiled me for its lack of bounce.
I know folks seem to believe that you MUST have a 5th wheel to stop sway, but my experience with the Equal-i-zer brand hitch is like your experience with the Andersen: No sway.

IMO, harsh bouncing sounds like it may be a 'harmonic' issue where the TV, TT, and road are all 'in sync'. I'd start with TV and TT tire pressures and then new shock absorbers to change the harmonic characteristics. Good TV shock absorbers are always a good idea. A few folks here have added them to their 5th wheel trailers.

The positioning of the hitch in the truck bed could shift the TT weight distribution on the TV axles, too.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #37

I carry big rubber chocks for Front & Rear. When you pull off/on the hitch you do not want to have the trailer move and bend the front jacks or roll down the hill. When hooked up I leave the chocks in place, raise the jacks a few inches and give a pull on the trailer to be sure the hitch is secure.

Do Not grease the top of the hitch, the way to go is a round plastic disk that stays on the trailer.

Rear camera and tire air pressure sensors.

Do Not extend or retract the slide outs until you are level.

If you go 50 amp the cable is very heavy and stiff when cold, I also carry a much lighter 30 amp which is good for one AC. If going a short distance just take the cable and put it around the hitch in the truck bed.

The Anderson hitch seems the way to go but I heard if you have a very long or heavy rig it could be a problem.

Carry bandages for when you hit your head on the slide outs.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #38

I have never owned a travel trailer , but i do own a fifth wheel and i use to drive 18 wheeler i can only tell you that pulling the fifth wheel is so much easy you should notice that the truck get less bounce going over bumps and it will be easier then you can imagine. You do lose some truck bed space but one can always take the hitch out , its heavy but remove but mine is as easy as 4 pins .Good luck hope this helps i would recommend a fifth wheel for my liking we have a kayak rack on the back of ours that goes into the hitch 2 kayaks come with us our bikes go inside the camper.
coralqcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #39
BGB

We also just made the transition. Pros we’ve found are Handling on road, comfort, dry cargo compartments, easy connect/disconnect. Cons size 40’ limited some of our favorite locations and our height of 13’4” has created some white knuckle experiences on the east coast with living oaks creating tunnels that are trimmed only by passing semi trucks. Neither Pro or Con but something to keep in mind carrying of bikes kayaks and gear previously stored in bed of truck will have to be dealt with as will the new challenges of refueling operations. We have dealt with all the above and will never go back PS don’t skimp on the truck.
BGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I know folks seem to believe that you MUST have a 5th wheel to stop sway, but my experience with the Equal-i-zer brand hitch is like your experience with the Andersen: No sway.

IMO, harsh bouncing sounds like it may be a 'harmonic' issue where the TV, TT, and road are all 'in sync'. I'd start with TV and TT tire pressures and then new shock absorbers to change the harmonic characteristics. Good TV shock absorbers are always a good idea. A few folks here have added them to their 5th wheel trailers.

The positioning of the hitch in the truck bed could shift the TT weight distribution on the TV axles, too.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks. It was not a typical harmonic bounce most of the times it happened, at least not the concrete expansion joint kind.

It could be tire pressure related or shocks. I probably could have better described it as jolts on bumps and some road cracks. I realize the trailer is heavier than the pull behinds I have towed with this truck. Looking at the leafs when stopped, the are just above the overloads.