Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 68
Bumper pull to 5er, what should I know?

We are upgrading from the travel trailer to a fifth wheel after many years of camping. What should I know about the differences? Upside, downside makes no difference to me; all insight is welcome.

All in a effort to NOT do this later:
__________________

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Black Diamond
Posts: 178
You will need to take corners a little wider in a 5th wheel, besides that you will like how it it tows and will be quicker to hook and unhook.
__________________

GHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,873
What GHen said, but I'd say 'take corners W-I-D-E-R!'

And I'd add, practice backing before you go camping. I towed several and never did master backing them. IMO, they are totally different than backing 'bumper pull' trailers!
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescue Eydie (min Schnauzer) & Charley (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Nights Camped: 102 '15, 90 '16, 80 '17, 161 '18)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, Camper pkg, Equal-i-zer, GY Endurance (E)
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: south jersey
Posts: 64
We just made the same transition in August. Our FW is longer and heavier than our TT was and the FW rides much better. Easier getting into sites but you do have to take the corners a little wider. The FW cuts the corners instead of following you through them. My only dislike about towing the FW is the height. The FW came with a full height A/C unit in the front. Ours sits at 13'10" hooked to our truck and 13'7" on level ground. We have had to switch camp sites due to low trees. Dont need a hole in the roof membrane. I have heard Jayco has authorized a low profile unit replacement but haven't tried calling them yet.
__________________
2019 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.6L
Dan-Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,510
What GHen and oldman said.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 408
Research hitches. B&W or Andersen would be my choice. I've had mine for a year and half. Backing was totally different for sure. I can't think of anything I miss about having a TT that's unique to TT's. Scratch that... I do miss the bed space traveling.
__________________
Eagle HT26.5 BHS
Chevy 2500HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Research hitches. B&W or Andersen would be my choice. I've had mine for a year and half. Backing was totally different for sure. I can't think of anything I miss about having a TT that's unique to TT's. Scratch that... I do miss the bed space traveling.
The Andersen is it for me. Being able to easily remove the hitch to get the truck bed back is pretty important to me.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
You will need to take corners a little wider in a 5th wheel, besides that you will like how it it tows and will be quicker to hook and unhook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
What GHen said, but I'd say 'take corners W-I-D-E-R!'

And I'd add, practice backing before you go camping. I towed several and never did master backing them. IMO, they are totally different than backing 'bumper pull' trailers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Phyllis View Post
We just made the same transition in August. Our FW is longer and heavier than our TT was and the FW rides much better. Easier getting into sites but you do have to take the corners a little wider. The FW cuts the corners instead of following you through them. My only dislike about towing the FW is the height. The FW came with a full height A/C unit in the front. Ours sits at 13'10" hooked to our truck and 13'7" on level ground. We have had to switch camp sites due to low trees. Dont need a hole in the roof membrane. I have heard Jayco has authorized a low profile unit replacement but haven't tried calling them yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
What GHen and oldman said.
I know towing will be a little different. I have towed a lot of different types of trailers, but never a 5th wheel. I will definitely do some practice before we try to squeeze into a state park spot
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 68
I thought there would be differences in parking the truck in sites and differences in leveling ? We have always had some form of stab jacks, now I will have the landing gear that appear to operate as one. The rear is also electric. I guess I won't need the impact driver any more
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Black Diamond
Posts: 178
Let me emphasis a little on needing wider turns, depending on overall length, the 5r could cut the corner 3-4 feet to the inside of the corner compared to the trailer. On numerous occasions I have come way to close to getting up on a sidewalk, taking out a corner fence post, tree or dropping into a ditch. Make sure you can see your passengers side wheels.
A trailer actually gets pushed to the outside of the corner by the distance between the rear axel and ball on the hitch.
I have found backing to be pretty easy as long as the first half is good, if I start getting out of wack, I pull forward about 4 feet to straighten the rig and then it finishes fine.
__________________

GHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.