Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Bumper pull to 5er, what should I know?

We are upgrading from the travel trailer to a fifth wheel after many years of camping. What should I know about the differences? Upside, downside makes no difference to me; all insight is welcome.

All in a effort to NOT do this later:

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

You will need to take corners a little wider in a 5th wheel, besides that you will like how it it tows and will be quicker to hook and unhook.

GHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

What GHen said, but I'd say 'take corners W-I-D-E-R!'

And I'd add, practice backing before you go camping. I towed several and never did master backing them. IMO, they are totally different than backing 'bumper pull' trailers!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

We just made the same transition in August. Our FW is longer and heavier than our TT was and the FW rides much better. Easier getting into sites but you do have to take the corners a little wider. The FW cuts the corners instead of following you through them. My only dislike about towing the FW is the height. The FW came with a full height A/C unit in the front. Ours sits at 13'10" hooked to our truck and 13'7" on level ground. We have had to switch camp sites due to low trees. Dont need a hole in the roof membrane. I have heard Jayco has authorized a low profile unit replacement but haven't tried calling them yet.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

What GHen and oldman said.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #6

Research hitches. B&W or Andersen would be my choice. I've had mine for a year and half. Backing was totally different for sure. I can't think of anything I miss about having a TT that's unique to TT's. Scratch that... I do miss the bed space traveling.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Research hitches. B&W or Andersen would be my choice. I've had mine for a year and half. Backing was totally different for sure. I can't think of anything I miss about having a TT that's unique to TT's. Scratch that... I do miss the bed space traveling.
The Andersen is it for me. Being able to easily remove the hitch to get the truck bed back is pretty important to me.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
You will need to take corners a little wider in a 5th wheel, besides that you will like how it it tows and will be quicker to hook and unhook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
What GHen said, but I'd say 'take corners W-I-D-E-R!'

And I'd add, practice backing before you go camping. I towed several and never did master backing them. IMO, they are totally different than backing 'bumper pull' trailers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Phyllis View Post
We just made the same transition in August. Our FW is longer and heavier than our TT was and the FW rides much better. Easier getting into sites but you do have to take the corners a little wider. The FW cuts the corners instead of following you through them. My only dislike about towing the FW is the height. The FW came with a full height A/C unit in the front. Ours sits at 13'10" hooked to our truck and 13'7" on level ground. We have had to switch camp sites due to low trees. Dont need a hole in the roof membrane. I have heard Jayco has authorized a low profile unit replacement but haven't tried calling them yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
What GHen and oldman said.
I know towing will be a little different. I have towed a lot of different types of trailers, but never a 5th wheel. I will definitely do some practice before we try to squeeze into a state park spot
Old 10-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #9

I thought there would be differences in parking the truck in sites and differences in leveling ? We have always had some form of stab jacks, now I will have the landing gear that appear to operate as one. The rear is also electric. I guess I won't need the impact driver any more
Old 10-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Let me emphasis a little on needing wider turns, depending on overall length, the 5r could cut the corner 3-4 feet to the inside of the corner compared to the trailer. On numerous occasions I have come way to close to getting up on a sidewalk, taking out a corner fence post, tree or dropping into a ditch. Make sure you can see your passengers side wheels.
A trailer actually gets pushed to the outside of the corner by the distance between the rear axel and ball on the hitch.
I have found backing to be pretty easy as long as the first half is good, if I start getting out of wack, I pull forward about 4 feet to straighten the rig and then it finishes fine.

GHen is online now   Reply With Quote