Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #1

Cable box hook up

Hi all,

I always thought of myself as a pretty electronic savvy kind of guy but I’m stumped.
We have a 2020 pinnacle and I’m trying to get a cable box supplied with our RV site to work.
There are 3 coax ports in the wet bay and two above the TV on the inside.
Can someone tell me the combination I should be using to get some reception?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Beachbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
CAG

This is a common topic and it probably is different for different rigs but the secret is that you have to come directly to the TV from the outside coax connection. Most of the coax will run through one or more splitters that will not pass a Sat signal.

I got the following from Jayco by calling. They will send you schematics for your particular unit or by using the search feature at the top of the page you may find info on your particular set up. Search and/or Google will bring up just about all info on top of that the Manuals section at the top of the page may have some info also. That is where this info is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tailgater Sat Hook up.1.pdf (275.1 KB, 15 views)

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

if for a Sat connection Use the SAT port on the outside, Use the top port inside and toggle the switch on the inside wall plate until you get signal. The switch is not tabled what it does. It toggles the Wingard top antenna amplifier off/on. If for a TV connection (cable TV) use the cable connection outside the bottom inside and mess with the switch. Good Luck
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #4

I’m just trying to hook of the cable outlet in our RV site where they provide you with a cable box and remote.
There are three tie in ports in the wet box outside the Rv. One is Sat…one is Cable and one is aux.
inside there are two ports. One reads aux/sat and the other is Tv
Old 11-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum2 View Post
I’m just trying to hook of the cable outlet in our RV site where they provide you with a cable box and remote.
There are three tie in ports in the wet box outside the Rv. One is Sat…one is Cable and one is aux.
inside there are two ports. One reads aux/sat and the other is Tv
at the wet box plug into Cable, inside use TV and toggle the switch until you have signal. Also, with a cable box, you need to tune your TV to either CH 3 or Ch 4 depending on Set Top Box type, then use your cable box for channel changing etc.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

Dont know your particular setup, but I would do this:

hook up external camp supplied cable to "cable" in your wetbox.
dont get the 2 ports inside, but would try TV
make sure the signal amp is OFF in your RV, this would be a little button on a coax outlet somewhere inside your rv (green light off)
turn on TV and go into menu and select cable as input, then do channel scan
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Dont know your particular setup, but I would do this:

hook up external camp supplied cable to "cable" in your wetbox.
dont get the 2 ports inside, but would try TV
make sure the signal amp is OFF in your RV, this would be a little button on a coax outlet somewhere inside your rv (green light off)
turn on TV and go into menu and select cable as input, then do channel scan
If you are using a set top converter, you want to bypass setting to cable and the ch scan.. you can do that step without using the converter but you wont get any of the premium and or digital Ch's. Some of the Smart TV's have a built in digital converter but you would have to provide the Q Code to the Cable TV provider to unlock premiums. My 19 RSTS with Furion TV does not have digital tuner option.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #8

Finally got it…thanks guys it was a challenge.
Might have to dump the furrion tv for a smart tv
Old 11-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum2 View Post
Finally got it…thanks guys it was a challenge.
Might have to dump the furrion tv for a smart tv
I'm waiting for the Black Friday Sales and plan to replace the Furrion with a decent Smart TV. Sales Gal at Best Buy said most of their 50" models will be going on sale 30-60% off for Black Friday. I'm using a KODI Box right now for YouTube TV and to stream of my Plex Server. The new Smart TV's has Plex and YouTube TV built with many other service providers. I also hear you can down load different menu skins for YouTube TV like you can on KODI. We actually dumped our Dish accounts and been much happier with YouTube TV, Same exact programing for half the cost.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I'm waiting for the Black Friday Sales and plan to replace the Furrion with a decent Smart TV. Sales Gal at Best Buy said most of their 50" models will be going on sale 30-60% off for Black Friday. I'm using a KODI Box right now for YouTube TV and to stream of my Plex Server. The new Smart TV's has Plex and YouTube TV built with many other service providers. I also hear you can down load different menu skins for YouTube TV like you can on KODI. We actually dumped our Dish accounts and been much happier with YouTube TV, Same exact programing for half the cost.
Bought a 43" smart TV Toshiba at Best buy 2 days ago for $279...they have Black friday prices going on right now...and the store in Ankeny Iowa had plenty in stock..
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote