Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Campgrounds in or around Yellowstone National Park

OK folks, if wife and I decide to plan a trip to YNP this summer,where would you recommend we park the Pinnacle for a week? This is one of my buckling trips.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #2

We stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone a couple years ago. It was very nice and only a couple blocks from the park's west entrance. Only a couple downsides...we were there in late June and there were lots of mosquitos in the RV park, not in the national park, tho. Also, it's a bit of a drive inside the park to get to some of the attractions but then again, Yellowstone is a huge park and that will be true no matter where you stay. There are often big traffic backups when people stop to oogle the bison or elk or whatever, which can be very irritating. The Fishing Bridge RV park inside the park is well located but we've never stayed there. I believe it's the only place inside the park with hook-ups. Yellowstone is an interesting place...well worth a visit.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #3

We stayed at the Rustic Wagon in West Yellowstone. It's considerably smaller than the Grizzly, but IMO, has considerably more character and you could eat off the floor in the bath and shower house. It's on the west side of town which means it's five minutes from the West Entrance vs. two minutes at Grizzly.
Bigfoot is right. No matter where you stay, you're going to log some miles if you want to see Yellowstone. We probably put 600 miles on our truck in four days driving around Yellowstone.
I'd wanted to go to Yellowstone for probably 40 years. It was well worth the wait.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Thanks for your input, bigfoot. I have heard of Grizzly RV Park. My have to look further into that one. However, unless I misunderstood, Fishing Bridge sites are too small for most all of our Pinnacles. I'll have to revisit that, again.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

We really enjoyed our stay at Grizzly.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

X 3 for GRIZZLY and also highly recommend taking one of the tours. Buffalo Bus Tours they pick you up at Grizzly. Tour was timed so we could see Old Faithful as soon as we finished lunch at the Lodge. Makes for a nice day and you aren't looking for a parking space at the stops.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #7

If you can, avoid the dead of summer. It's high tourist season and the park becomes busier than a big city. We've been there in early Sept. and early June. Few families, the most popular things are easy to see, and the back country trails are practically vacant.

Speaking of back country trails, the best stuff in Yellowstone has to be hiked to, but the good news is that much of it is day hikes. I highly recommend decent hiking shoes, sneakers will kill your feet. We learned the hard way.

Another vote for Grizzly RV. We stayed there twice. Squeaky clean bathrooms and buildings, immaculate sites, great staff. It doesn't matter where you stay there is a lot of driving. The main loop through the park is about 100 miles long. One of the things that's nice about staying in West Yellowstone is that you can walk to all the restaurants and shops. The town was 100% built around the tourism in the park. If you stay in West Yellowstone make sure to see the museum which is in the old railroad station.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Well, I guess Grizzly may be the spot! I do want to do the Lamar Valley tour. Love seeing and watching the wild life, whatever it might be.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

We loved Grizzzly park too. Once, we left trailer at the park overnight without us, and drove through Lamar Valley and then drove through he Beartooth Parkway. What a spectacular drive! Then stopped in Red Lodge. Really a cute town. Drove to Cody Wyoming, stayed at hotel 1 night. Went to Buffalo Bill Museum which was fabulous. Drove back through Yellowstone to Grizzly RV park. Highly recommiend this if you have time.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #10

There are lots of options. But you do need reservations early. We stayed at the KOA in Cody, WY just after the 4th of July. We wanted to extend our stay but they were full. Have fun.
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #11

To me, it would have to be inside the park- I wouldn't want to miss the up close meetings with the wildlife- We have parked in Cody, Wy. and in the park at Fishing Bridge and some other campground on the side of a mountain- This was at least 30 years ago, but I remember that spot very vividly- JMHO- DD