Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #41

Name:  abuse.GIF
Views: 164
Size:  3.8 KB

Name:  beat_deadhorse.GIF
Views: 168
Size:  4.0 KB

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
What was did the yellow sticker on your door jamb say your cargo capacity was? I don't know of any 5er who's tongue weight is 810 lbs... is that "book weight" or actual weight?
My cargo capacity on the door sticker was 1400lb. Fiver pin was 1000lb. Hitch was 75lb. Only extra weight in the truck was my wife and the dog (and me being over the 150lb 'driver' weight)

The Toyota gas tank was 27gal. Not much when you only get 10mpg on a good day. On really windy days we would see 6mpg.

Keep in mind that the specific model of Tundra I had seemed to be a weird one, cause every other model, even the newer ones, had cargo capacity less than that one.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #43

Fyi almost all RV manufacturers post weights that are based on an average dry (No propane or anything in the unit) my 2018 north point 377rlbh said I believe 2650 pin weight. Um not even close to reality. My 5er with the generator prep (no generator) comes with 3 40lb propane tanks that's really the only extra weight on the pin but my trailer came in at 3200 lbs empty, with a 2/3 tank of freshwater the tank is behind the axles (dealer filled tank before delivery to make trailer look lighter on the pin as I told them this was a concern of mine) I pull it with a 1 ton single rear tire so technically I'm about 400lbs over weight. With passengers. My solution was airbags and tire upgrade on the truck and I have had no problems pulling the trailer.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #44
bap

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Old 06-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #45

I love it when someone posts this question for a fiver obviously well within the specs of the truck and the answer is that I wouldn't pull that light weight fiver with a half ton like modern half tons can't possibly handle more than 1000 lbs no matter what the specs are.
You are good to go with those specs. I have towed a 10K fiver with a 1700 lbs (weighed) pin box and an F150 sticker payload of 1848 for 3 years before upgrading to an F350. Stopping was never an issue. The difference in handling was surprisingly minimal, but now I can get a bigger fiver if we want.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #46

5th wheel

Had a 2008 F 250 5.4 373 gear LB. First year pulling my 28.5 RSTS HT it did the job, would not want a F 150 Frame or suspension, The 5.4 did the job but that's all I can say, you'll be over on cargo and you'll feel it but like everyone its just MPO good luck but you'll be getting a 3/4 ton
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
My cargo capacity on the door sticker was 1400lb. Fiver pin was 1000lb. Hitch was 75lb. Only extra weight in the truck was my wife and the dog (and me being over the 150lb 'driver' weight)

The Toyota gas tank was 27gal. Not much when you only get 10mpg on a good day. On really windy days we would see 6mpg.

Keep in mind that the specific model of Tundra I had seemed to be a weird one, cause every other model, even the newer ones, had cargo capacity less than that one.
Yep pushing the limits of the Truck. Tundra is not designed for a 5er, and I LOVE my Tundra...my cargo capacity is 1528 and I would not want to pull anything heavier than what I am. It pulls great even in the mountains. Too many see the 10,300 towing capacity and that's all they see...two numbers are important towing capacity and cargo capacity. Typically you bump up against the cargo capacity long before the towing capacity. Just because you can drag it down the road, doesn't mean you can do it safely or not be putting undue stress on the vehicle. I don't like pushing anything to the extreme max, guess as I get older I prefer to have some "room" for error. Running any machine on it's max will shorten it's life, and leave no room for safety...JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #48

Yep, I was at the limits of the Tundra. I have been at or near the limit with my Ram2500 and now my F250. I do not have any problems with it.

And the safety thing is just not an issue. They have all been safe and handled well.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Yep pushing the limits of the Truck. Tundra is not designed for a 5er, and I LOVE my Tundra...my cargo capacity is 1528 and I would not want to pull anything heavier than what I am. It pulls great even in the mountains. Too many see the 10,300 towing capacity and that's all they see...two numbers are important towing capacity and cargo capacity. Typically you bump up against the cargo capacity long before the towing capacity. Just because you can drag it down the road, doesn't mean you can do it safely or not be putting undue stress on the vehicle. I don't like pushing anything to the extreme max, guess as I get older I prefer to have some "room" for error. Running any machine on it's max will shorten it's life, and leave no room for safety...JMHO
I love those "Truck" commercials where they'll say something like "Highest payload capacity in it's class", then follow up with "Best towing in it's class". What they DON'T tell you is it's NOT the same truck! IE: Hard to get Highest payload/towing in same vehicle - AKA "The Unicorn". Cracks me up!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
I love those "Truck" commercials where they'll say something like "Highest payload capacity in it's class", then follow up with "Best towing in it's class". What they DON'T tell you is it's NOT the same truck! IE: Hard to get Highest payload/towing in same vehicle - AKA "The Unicorn". Cracks me up!
FYI, Packerbacker, maybe you should revisit my Unicorn post. I have a F150 Unicorn with max tow package and heavy duty package. It has a 2405 lb. payload and a 11,300 lb. tow max. Beefed up suspension and drive train, HD transmission cooling, 7 lug steel wheels, etc., etc., etc.
No problem handling my 9950lb. fifth wheel. CAT scales indicate that I am way under the max weights for this truck and fiver! I've also added Billstein shocks and Timbrens to the rear.
This Unicorn cracks me up to the point that I'm happy with it and it out does some 3/4 tons. Maybe I can't go 75 up some long hills with the 5.4L engine but the truck is more than adequate to handle my fiver.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
FYI, Packerbacker, maybe you should revisit my Unicorn post. I have a F150 Unicorn with max tow package and heavy duty package. It has a 2405 lb. payload and a 11,300 lb. tow max. Beefed up suspension and drive train, HD transmission cooling, 7 lug steel wheels, etc., etc., etc.
No problem handling my 9950lb. fifth wheel. CAT scales indicate that I am way under the max weights for this truck and fiver! I've also added Billstein shocks and Timbrens to the rear.
This Unicorn cracks me up to the point that I'm happy with it and it out does some 3/4 tons. Maybe I can't go 75 up some long hills with the 5.4L engine but the truck is more than adequate to handle my fiver.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
If it's way under max weights and has no problem handling your 5er, why the Bilsteins and Timbrens?

Seems like a lot of added hassle and expense for a rig that was having no problems.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #52

Quote:
FYI, Packerbacker, maybe you should revisit my Unicorn post. I have a F150 Unicorn with max tow package and heavy duty package. It has a 2405 lb. payload and a 11,300 lb. tow max. Beefed up suspension and drive train, HD transmission cooling, 7 lug steel wheels .....
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Not doubting what your saying but, I've never seen 7 lug wheels on a truck or any vehicle for that matter. Mind sharing a pic ?
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Not doubting what your saying but, I've never seen 7 lug wheels on a truck or any vehicle for that matter. Mind sharing a pic ?
Love to share a pic with you but can't right now. We are on the road and glampling in AZ. (plus I don't know how to add a pic to this) .
My truck was special ordered with packages I mentioned, which includes 7 lug wheels. They are certainly unusual as I found out when trying to order chrome wheel covers on the aftermarket.

If you would send me a message, I will send a copy of the build sheet to you when I get home next week.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
If it's way under max weights and has no problem handling your 5er, why the Bilsteins and Timbrens?

Seems like a lot of added hassle and expense for a rig that was having no problems.
EvilDoer-Good point. I added the Bilsteins and Timbrens before I got the fiver so I don't know how it handled without them.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 07-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #55

7 lug wheels started, maybe around 2000, with the light duty F250 ( had a F150 body with heavier specs). When I bought my 99 F250SD in 2002 (lease turn in) it had the 7 lug spare which the dealer replaced with the 8 lug which I spotted after the dealers 500 point inspection lol They are a common topic on the F150 forum.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #56

Quote:
EvilDoer-Good point. I added the Bilsteins and Timbrens before I got the fiver so I don't know how it handled without them.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Hey, how about an update?
We still have not bought a trailer yet, but am looking at a similar combo. Found a line on a 2018 26.5 for maybe a fair price. Have the HDPP (2500 lb payload) f150 with the 3.5 (375hp, 475 torque 10 speed). Would also use the AUH.

How many miles have you towed with the rig?

Ever regret not having a slider?

Thanks!
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #57

HT Heavy- Here's my update:

We have 9381 miles on our set up and have no regrets. Never had any white knuckle driving and handles great in cross winds and panic stops. Using the lightweight Anderson Ultimate is perfect and saves many pounds of load. My F150 is the long wheel base so no need for a slider.

Looks like your specs (payload, HP, and torque) are even better than mine so I wouldn't hesitate to hook up to the 26.5HT. But check out the front cap for fading/oxidation. I just had CW/Jayco sand and repaint ours under warranty cause it was fading down about 18" from the top.

We love ours and Jayco (2nd one).We added the 50 amp, 2nd AC, 16" tires, etc. and continuously do minor mods that I pick up on this forum.

Send me a private message if you want to discuss all this.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 10-29-2019, 10:02 PM   #58

That’s fantastic, thanks. Should be about the same bed at 6.5 ft. Will be a couple weeks before I can go check out the camper, but I will be sure to look for the fading. I am a little leary as it must have been sitting on lot for 2+ years, so things like tires (as far as I am concerned) are 2/5ths or more used up. It stickered msrp for 52k, and I am going to see if I can drag it away for less than 30. Once it is off the lot, it is a 2 or 3 year old rv. New or not, I think some folks forget that. Also, I have read about some manufacturers denying warranty based on age regardless of time in service. So I am approaching it as a used rv in many respects.
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:06 AM   #59

havefun, could you talk about the 16" tire upgrade? I have a F350 and pull a 28.5 RSTS. Been trying for a few years now to raise the 5er due to how high the F350 is and the angle it was towed at. Lowered into lowest shackles on trailer, Added Lippert correct track system, put lowering shackles on my F350. all to get it towing level and have clearance on the tail gate.

I am closer now but the only thing I havent done is go from the 15" tires to 16" tires on the trailer which I would like to do and there getting worn to the point of swapping them out soon. I have called 2 different Jayco dealers and havent gotten anywhere with either of them.

I currently have Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 which has a 28.2 dia. I have read that the 16" tire option is a Goodyear Endurance ST235/85R16 with a 30.5" dia. I know I wont have any clearance issue with height and rubbing since I have the Lippert correct track system on.

So my question is did you just go to a tire shop and get new rims and tires? Did you do this through Jayco? I like my current rims but figure I cant use them with the new taller 16" tires? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Jim
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote