Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #21

I assumed that this was an etiquette question rather than a technical one. If staying hooked up is because you are in a parking lot for the night then common sense and manners would be your answer. If having the slideout deployed does not interfere with someone parked next to you or someone walking by, then go for it.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
I do, I have, and will continue....

X2
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #23

I live in a campground full time and I see people doing this very often. Usually they are only there for a quick night stopover and are leaving early in the morning. It only takes a couple minutes to pull in the slides and raise the jacks then they are on their way.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
But after it's all said and done, in a 5er and auto-leveling, you're really not saving much time and energy. I realized I should've just unhitched and auto-leveled. So much easier.
I would agree that it would be quicker to unhook, auto-level, auto-hitch height and reconnect, then to try to do it by manually lowering jacks and trying to get a resemblance of being close to level while still hooked.
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #25

We have used auto-level while hooked to our truck before. Extended all 6 jacks. Granted, it was a very level sight. So if that's the case, and you're towing level, or close to level, it should not be a problem.

Dave
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
We have used auto-level while hooked to our truck before. Extended all 6 jacks. Granted, it was a very level sight. So if that's the case, and you're towing level, or close to level, it should not be a problem.

Dave
I would be sceptical of doing that while hooked, as the first thing my unit does after unhooking and pressing the auto-level is to take a nose dive. After I brought the 5th home the first time and unhooked, I didn't clear the back of the truck. Boy, was that a scramble when we saw the front of the 5th coming down aiming for the tailgate. Now we make sure the truck is clear.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I would be sceptical of doing that while hooked, as the first thing my unit does after unhooking and pressing the auto-level is to take a nose dive. After I brought the 5th home the first time and unhooked, I didn't clear the back of the truck. Boy, was that a scramble when we saw the front of the 5th coming down aiming for the tailgate. Now we make sure the truck is clear.
Same here. Ours did the same thing, takes a nose dive when I hit auto-level. I would never try while it's hitched up.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #28

Not sure I'm following. How can it "nose dive" when hooked up? All the weight is already on the hitch. The camper isn't going any lower.

Dave
Old 07-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Not sure I'm following. How can it "nose dive" when hooked up? All the weight is already on the hitch. The camper isn't going any lower.

Dave
It can't nosedive and therein lies the problem. Auto-level was not meant to be used while still hitched.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #30

I disagree. As I mentioned, if you tow fairly level, the camper will end up in relatively the same position hitched or unhitched. Lower the front legs like normal and hit the button. It works fine.

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
Old 07-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #31

Quote:
I disagree. As I mentioned, if you tow fairly level, the camper will end up in relatively the same position hitched or unhitched. Lower the front legs like normal and hit the button. It works fine.

Dave
Ok. Well I tow level and probably have to raise mine higher than most as I have a Pullrite 2600 and it has to clear the hitch for the truck to pull out. So I see it go down quite a bit to auto-level. Still, don't plan on hitting auto-level while hitched up.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #32

Yes, when you unhook you have to raise the front quite a bit in order to unload the truck suspension and also clear the hitch. It will then need to drop back down to get back to level. When it's hitched, it's already down where it needs to be.

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
Old 07-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Yes, when you unhook you have to raise the front quite a bit in order to unload the truck suspension and also clear the hitch. It will then need to drop back down to get back to level. When it's hitched, it's already down where it needs to be.

Dave
We're going around in circles here dude. I'll get off here. Not a fan of auto-level when hitched.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #34

Agree with you NOT to hit auto leveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
We're going around in circles here dude. I'll get off here. Not a fan of auto-level when hitched.
Iím with you on this. We can sleep in our bed without putting out slide and use our restroom and get to frig (not freezer) on our residential frig so if we ever stay just over nite Iím not unhooking and only putting front jacks down to give truck suspension a break. Less is best 😀
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #35

This is what I do: Remain hitched, drop the front legs, unload the truck suspension, extend the bedroom slide, sleep. Reverse procedure in A.M.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #36

We traveled from Seattle to Tampa, stopping for mostly one night, but a few times 2-3 nights. On the one-nighters we positioned the trailer as level as could be and only ran the front jacks down, raising the truck bed up a few inches. Doing this stabilized the trailer while walking around inside. Then we ran the 6 slides out.
While staying more than one night we dropped the trailer, using the automatic
leveling system.
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have now seen 2 large MH's with a slide out, and traveling 60+ mph.
Yeah, what could go wrong.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #38

We own a 2020 Pinnacle SSWS, and we leave it hooked to the truck as well, and drop the front legs. We just make sure the drivers side of the camper is not infringing on someones space. Its the only down fall of this model, you have to put the slide out to get to the bathroom or bedroom. We love it though.
topline89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #39

When we travel and have to stay just one night I normally put the front jack and the rear manually, I also disconnect my power to my truck and use the pedestal and let all the slide out.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote