Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #1

Can you open slides to sleep while hooked up to truck.

We are going to sleep over night at a camp ground in NC while traveling. But this is just a stop over to avoid VA traffic. We will be getting up at 3.00am to continue our trip home. My question is can we leave the 5th wheel hooked up to the Truck and open the slides to sleep or do we have to unhook ? I realy don't want to wake up the people on each side of us during quite hrs. And should we drop all the jacks or just the front 2 ?

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #2

I can get mine pretty close to level while still hooked up and think it would be fine. See how she sits with your truck. Slap a carpenter's level on the kitchen island, and sure, I think the front 2 jacks will be enough for a short night. Depends on the site, too if you can get it laterally level so a slide isn't "pushing up hill"

-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

Yep, I'd be more concerned that the fridge is level enough.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the Feed back. Angus its a Thousand Trails site so I am hoping to get a level site, a lot depends on what time we get there. Mopar as for the Fridge its a residential Fridge not propane so that will not be a problem.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #5

Hi pawags,

We have a 2017 MBQS with the Schwintek slide for the bedroom. I verified with Jayco last year that slide does not need to be out to be used. When we stopped over last year like you are, we didn't even put slides out. Put the front jacks down and that was it. Might want to do something to remind you of jacks, I did because I was worried about forgetting them at 3 am.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #6

oh355mbqs In our pinnicle you can't get to the bedroom or bathroom with the slides in. Good advice that I will listen to on the reminder for the slides. Maybe a posted note on steering wheel or front seat.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
oh355mbqs Good advice that I will listen to on the reminder for the slides. Maybe a posted note on steering wheel or front seat.
X2 on that one!!!

I was at Ocean Shores one year and someone with a 5th wheel tried to pull out early and forgot the 2 front jacks and he spent a week there waiting for repairs.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

I do, I have, and will continue....

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
oh355mbqs In our pinnicle you can't get to the bedroom or bathroom with the slides in. Good advice that I will listen to on the reminder for the slides. Maybe a posted note on steering wheel or front seat.

Yeah and Larry watch out for that interconnect/ safety switch behind the bedroom door- the one that keeps the slide from retracting if the door is not fully open. Despite Jayco's insistence that the switch would not prevent the slide from extending, ours did that when the door was loose, keeping us out of the bedroom and bathroom for 3 days waiting for repair. Their insistence in this is what stopped me from troubleshooting that cause. Someone said that there was a service bulletin on this matter but Jayco insists that there is not. We keep a pillow between the cabinet face and bedroom door when retraced to keep the door in place on the switch.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Yeah and Larry watch out for that interconnect/ safety switch behind the bedroom door- the one that keeps the slide from retracting if the door is not fully open. Despite Jayco's insistence that the switch would not prevent the slide from extending, ours did that when the door was loose, keeping us out of the bedroom and bathroom for 3 days waiting for repair. Their insistence in this is what stopped me from troubleshooting that cause. Someone said that there was a service bulletin on this matter but Jayco insists that there is not. We keep a pillow between the cabinet face and bedroom door when retraced to keep the door in place on the switch.

Angus
I followed that post you had when this was going on and ever since then I make sure that door is back against the wall whenever that slide is about to be retracted and extented but as you know there is not much roon to see before you put it out. Another problem we had was on our first trip the slide would not open all the way, only opened 3/4 of the way out. Come to find out my wife had put a carry bag on the sofa and it fell on the floor and the slide was grabing it or a sensor new it was there. we sqeezed by and removed the bag and the slide worked perfect, we no longer store anything in the bedroom that is not in a closet ot draw.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #11

Yes you can

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
We are going to sleep over night at a camp ground in NC while traveling. But this is just a stop over to avoid VA traffic. We will be getting up at 3.00am to continue our trip home. My question is can we leave the 5th wheel hooked up to the Truck and open the slides to sleep or do we have to unhook ? I realy don't want to wake up the people on each side of us during quite hrs. And should we drop all the jacks or just the front 2 ?
pawags45, we do this quite often. In this case, although my FW is equipped with auto levelers, I will just use lego blocks to get the FW close to level. After that, I will run my rear jacks down manually to give the FW some stability.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #13

I had to read this post due to the heading that asked "Can you open the slides to sleep while...". I wondered if you wanted to have the slides open while driving.

Whew.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #14

Residential fridge won't matter if you're not level. We did this on the way back from Pigeon Forge. Just stayed hooked up. Lowered front landing gear. If we do it again, will also just manually lower the back two legs also but since we got there late and wasn't up long and was leaving early a.m., figured as long as the bedroom was stable, the rest would be fine and it was. But after it's all said and done, in a 5er and auto-leveling, you're really not saving much time and energy. I realized I should've just unhitched and auto-leveled. So much easier.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #15

Yes you can and we do it all the time when on a short overnight. Never a problem.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I had to read this post due to the heading that asked "Can you open the slides to sleep while...". I wondered if you wanted to have the slides open while driving.

Whew.
I have now seen 2 large MH's with a slide out, and traveling 60+ mph.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #17

I just traveled from S Central Wisconsin to West Yellowstone Montana and never unhooked once. I do put all 4 feet out to stabilize it while parked but it isnt a issue at all.

Something else to consider if your not plugged in to a campground pedestal. I would unplug my Tow Vehicle so there is no way your camper can deplete your TV and your dead in the water when you want to leave the next morning.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #18

I've done it several times. Didn't even lower any jacks. That works unless someone is sensitive to rocking then the jacks need to come down.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #19

When stopped for a one night stay I always put front jack down to relieve the load on the truck suspension. Yes, I do put out the slides----but I also check for level, and have found in almost every instance we were (almost) level. Have not encountered a problems in two years with doing this.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #20

Confused. We have 2020 pinnacle 36ssws and cannot get to the bedroom/bathroom with slides in. We stopped at Walmart and stayed hooked up and it seemed level so we extended bedroom slide, lowered front legs for some stability and had no issues.

Are you saying you need a reminder to extract the front? If so, I understand now. Or, am I missing something I need to know? Thanks.
Joetker is offline   Reply With Quote