Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2022, 08:49 AM   #1

Canada Border Question

Canada question-
We are going across the border to Calgary in July. What are the food restrictions going in? Just need some pointers as we have heard all kind of things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Pinnacle Convoy 2022a.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	81779
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #2
CAG

The Internet and Google are very helpful when researching. Here you go and there are lots more.

Crossing the Canadian Border in an RV (What You Need to Know)

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #3

The Canadian government has a website detailing what and how much you can bring in.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:00 PM   #4

Here is the definitive root of anything else written on the topic in any forum . It is updated regularly.

You can leave eggs and chicken at home. Avian flu

Bringing food into Canada for personal use

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:12 PM   #5

No GUNS !!!

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
No GUNS !!!
The question was about food. Besides your statement is not entirely true.

Import and export a firearm or weapon into Canada
Old 06-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #7
CAG

Oh no not the Canada and guns topic again!

Old 06-04-2022, 05:46 PM   #8

When we went through a really small border crossing north of Maine we chatted, we laughed, we regretted sending many bottles of wine south with my brother in law the day before, we left. No questions, no inspections but YMMV.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
When we went through a really small border crossing north of Maine we chatted, we laughed, we regretted sending many bottles of wine south with my brother in law the day before, we left. No questions, no inspections but YMMV.
I bookmarked the link I posted as it changes often. As we are going to Newfoundland at the end of August it may come in handy. It used to be avocados and tropical fruit were a no no as well as tatoes.

now it is extensive. My dog will miss his reqular raw food and I eggs and meat and milk..
I am not about to become vegan so I suggest scoping out a grocery store right over the border. In Alberta Sobeys is better than most US markets. That is my usual go to for groceries in Canada if I have a choice.

You have to watch out for those really small border crossings. They are sometimes in need of conversation and will gab for 45 minutes. I had that happen and was saved by the wife of the inspector. "Fred...Suppa's on!"

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-05-2022, 08:36 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post

You have to watch out for those really small border crossings. They are sometimes in need of conversation and will gab for 45 minutes. I had that happen and was saved by the wife of the inspector. "Fred...Suppa's on!"
I have a close friend that works occasionally in Fort Kent close to the boarder crossing. He describes the scene there the same way.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:51 AM   #11

While I appreciate the guidance to the Government information sites, which I have already been to, I really wanted to hear comments from people that had actually crossed the border.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #12

This is great information - I expect our crossing to be a small one going from Glacier to Calgary. I assume just being friendly (we are Southerners) and respectful will go a long way. We are not carrying guns but, I am concerned about food products. Do they actually search your camper, do you have to let the slides out, etc. Those are the things I want to know. We also have 2 small mini schnauzers but, have all their records
Old 06-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
While I appreciate the guidance to the Government information sites, which I have already been to, I really wanted to hear comments from people that had actually crossed the border.
You were looking for a different answer than what the rules say?

I have used that crossing in the past and other than kindly stamping our passports which generally is not done there was nothing out of the ordinary. If you do something to draw attention then yes a further “ look” may be in order but otherwise they are not digging.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
This is great information - I expect our crossing to be a small one going from Glacier to Calgary. I assume just being friendly (we are Southerners) and respectful will go a long way. We are not carrying guns but, I am concerned about food products. Do they actually search your camper, do you have to let the slides out, etc. Those are the things I want to know. We also have 2 small mini schnauzers but, have all their records
They may search your camper. Its all randomized
Just play by the rules as best you can
Yes I have been searched a couple of times.
But over 50 years we've crossed several
hundred times.
My anecdote is irrelevant to your experience and the last time we crossed was in 2019 when nothing was examined
In 2018 or whenever mad cow was a problem we had opened dog food and a mango confiscated
Things change day by day which makes the govt site more valuable than hearing of Cousin Vinnys experience in 20 whatever
Old 06-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Depending on a number of factors, including the answers to certain questions that may be asked, you may or may not get searched. It also depends on the customs officer who is doing the work, their experience and what they may be specifically looking for. And a simple look through may develop into a much more detailed search depending on what is found. Here is a real life situation:

Motorhome pulls up to the border crossing, typical questions are asked about alcohol, tobacco and firearms, explaining the limits on alcohol and tobacco (no more than 1.1 liters of wine or hard alcohol OR 24x12oz cans of beer per person, etc.). Specific questions are asked about prohibited fruits and vegetables (apples, corn, potatoes, etc.) For reasons only known to the customs officer, the vehicle is sent in for a cursory search in secondary. During the cursory search, a box of shells are found in one of the drawers. Now, additional questions are asked, delving deeper based on the found shells, again asking if any weapons are on board. Then a deeper search began. No firearms were found; however, additional alcohol was discovered and confiscated.

The moral of this is to know what you are officially allowed and what you are not based on the CBSA official website. If in doubt, you can email or call them for additional information. If you were to be searched, and there is always a chance of this, make sure that there are no breadcrumbs that may lead to either a false trail or insinuate that some restricted item may be on board. In most cases, restricted fruit, vegetables, meat or alcohol and tobacco over the limit will be confiscated and destroyed. If you get asked about some item that you didn't know was restricted, and you tell them you have it, they will just take it away with no other consequences. If they find extra alcohol during a search, they can seize the vehicle (as a conveyance).

In terms of firearms, if you declare it (and this is based on my experience several years ago), you will have options depending on the type of firearm that it is. Some can't come in at all, and you have the choice to relinquish it, or take it back into the US and have it either shipped or held until you come back.

Again, if you are uncertain about anything, don't hesitate to reach out to CBSA and get your questions answered at the source.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:23 PM   #16

I think you will be pleased in supermarkets in Canada.
Just remember prices are per kilo
Don't panic do practice dividing by 2.2
We are going soon and wont bring anything save dry goods
There is a Sobeys near our campground
If you can visit the one in Canmore AB its the best grocery i have ever seen
Old 06-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Again, if you are uncertain about anything, don't hesitate to reach out to CBSA and get your questions answered at the source.
My wife and I have been to quite a few countries. Probably the most important thing to remember is that you are a guest. Never had problems, just do your research before traveling. Canada is one of the easier ones. Even Quebec is pretty much friendly, but there is still an attitude. But nothing unsafe or to worry about.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
My wife and I have been to quite a few countries. Probably the most important thing to remember is that you are a guest. Never had problems, just do your research before traveling. Canada is one of the easier ones. Even Quebec is pretty much friendly, but there is still an attitude. But nothing unsafe or to worry about.
They appreciate attempts at conversing in French and don't laugh at my pronunciation. Expect good and you get good.. They have always helped me even in vehicle emergencies and I learned some new French words. Merci and Bon Jour gets you far.
Yes an ego American attitude won't serve you well.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #19

Arrivecan App

You must complete the Arrivecan app and NO GUNS we don’t like them. Food I have never been asked coming home but going to the USA they must want us to shop there because the list is long. Welcome have fun
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:03 PM   #20

Don’t forget, we do have grocery stores up here in the great white North also. You can stop and buy your food once you enter Canada🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote