Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Cannot grease the wet bolts

Ok, greased all wet bolts before no problem. Factory service center replaced and upgraded suspension in Oct for a tire rub. Just went to grease and cannot grease any of the four center ones on both sides.
Losened the nuts and cannot rotate any of the bolts. Looking on line it looks like they are serrated and u have have to beat them into the shackel to seat them. The website says to insert bolts so grease holes are on the side. So it looks like the service center screwed that up.
Wondering if anyone who has done an install found an easy way to turn bolts without pulling wheels off and everything apart?

Gonna call Jayco and see if they will authorize a repair shop to fix it since they did this. And ya my warranty expired when it was being fixed in Oct at the service center.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #2

I’m assuming you got the tire off the ground before trying to grease it.
If so, you’re probably right about the grease holes pointing in the wrong way. Hope you get this sorted out!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Hi just completed the wet bolt on mine. The shackle wet bolts where preinstalled by morryde. They where oriented to have the grease holes just off top centre. They are serated bolts for sure. I took a file and cut a small groove across the grease hole on the bolt. Thinking it will take grease easier instead of flat on bolt to bushing. Tried mine with suspension loaded and it will take grease.
Did you jack the frame up to take the pressure off the suspension? In the morryde instructions it advised to do that as well. If you have the self levelling you can auto level it and see if it will take enough pressure off to take grease

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

No I did not get the tire off the ground before trying to grease it. Did not do that before they changed it out and all was fine. So when u say tire off the ground is that by jacking the axle or jacking the frame and letting the suspension hang? I would assume jacking the frame and that would drop the axle enough to maybe let grease in.
That would seem like BS way of having to grease wet bolts that most people would not be jacking a rig to do.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

There is no easy way to rotate the bolts. You have to have a mini sledge hammer and a hardwood block or brass block so you don't mess up the threads and putting it back on use an smaller impact socket and pound them back in.

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

I have had wet bolts in numerous things during my years on this planet and never had to do anything but hook up the grease gun and shoot in grease. That would be like having to jack a car to grease the front end.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

You need to jack from the frame not the axles. If you do chose to do it yourself I would use the file and cut a slight groove like I did. Then you have a way without jacking the frame to add grease

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

This tool from Harbor Freight works very well for pressing in wet bolts, and for pushing them out. When used to push them out, loosen the nut and leave it screwed on several turns to protect the threads.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #9

RVhiker
That is interesting. I was thinking about a C clamp to hold the shackles together and either driving out the bolt enough to turn it or another c clamp and sockets to press it out. It should be greasable sitting on the tires like it was before they changed it. It seems like a design that needs to be improved upon.

I did not know it was a serrated pressed in design. I knew something was not right when I lossened the nut and I could not turn the bolt with a three foot breaker bar. I read on another post where someone said just loosen and turn it until grease goes in.
Rock
Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 AM   #10

Rock i haven't tried to grease my wet bolts recently. The last time it was just a matter of getting under trailer and greasing them. When I installed mine, or should say REINSTALLED with new ones and thicker i installed with all fittings facing in so would not have to remove tires to grease.

Probably if you take some weight off, you should be able to get them to take grease.

Good Luck
Jack
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 AM   #11

The ball joint press works very well for removing and seating the bolts. It is much better than a C-clamp or a hammer and a block of wood. No need to buy it though, almost all auto parts stores will "loan" them out. You pay a fee when you get the tool, they refund the money when you return the tool. I know Advanced, O'Reillys and Napa around here will do that. The ball joint press makes the job of installing the wet bolts go about 10 times faster.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #12

Thanks for the tool rental info. I know they were greased at the service center and I am sure when the frame was jacked. I will probably wait now until after my summer trip and do it all when I pull the wheels to check bearings and brakes.

Jasum
Did u Jack the one side off the ground at the same time or just half and block it and than the rest? Where on frame did u Jack at?
Tks
Rock
Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
No I did not get the tire off the ground before trying to grease it. Did not do that before they changed it out and all was fine. So when u say tire off the ground is that by jacking the axle or jacking the frame and letting the suspension hang? I would assume jacking the frame and that would drop the axle enough to maybe let grease in.
That would seem like BS way of having to grease wet bolts that most people would not be jacking a rig to do.
I think it’s recommended that the tire be turned while the grease is being pumped in to avoid pushing grease past the seal and getting it on the brake shoes.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #14

I think Auto Zone will lone you the ball joint service kit!Worth a shot. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxLP Camping 3-18.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #15

So how often should the wet bolts be greased? I plan on doing them once a year when I do the bearing and brake maintenance.... Should it be more often?

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #16

I've found my wet bolts need grease twice a year. Note that we do use our trailer a lot. If the wet bolts need grease, and don't get greased, rust and junk will accumulate in the small grease hole in the wet bolt and stop it up. Then you have to remove the wet bolt, clean out the hole with a small wire, and re-assemble. Sounds like I've had to do it before.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #17

So how many out there are having this problem? The pdf for install says if u cannot grease remove bolt and reposition. But you have the frame jacked off the ground and you are probable using a floor jack under the axle to install bolts. So now all is good and u install tires lower axles and drop frame.
This is what the factory center did. So now that it is on the ground everything has moved and repositioned and now I cannot grease. There is only two fixes.
1. Jack frame off the ground to see if it will take grease. Not an easy task to do twice yearly.
2. Do like suggested, jack axle remove tire and press out bolt enough to turn it some press back in and see if it will take grease.
This is a poor design that it has to be just right to grease.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #18

If you decide to press them out do take the time with a file on its corner and cut a small groove. It will make them take grease even if the grease drys out some. Dad was a machinist. He taught me this. Also what kind of grease gun makes a difference. I like a trigger style more than the long scissor arm

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #19

That's enough for me we will just install the never fail bronze bushings!Seems like way to much hassle! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #20
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
That's enough for me we will just install the never fail bronze bushings!Seems like way to much hassle! Thanks
Actually, I think that is Always Fail Bronze Bushings.