Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #1

Can't get to warm weather...yet

We are about finished with the sell of our house and are headed to warm weather, but first we must endure some rather cold weather.
My question is- can the unit handle it. I got the "Arctic"package upgrade but don't know if that means the tanks and lines won't freeze.
And if it warms the tanks, how do I "engage" the Arctic package? Isn't there a blanket on the tanks of some kind that needs to be turned on
I asked at my pdi but the guy didn't know. Thanks for any info.
Deanwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

The unit can handle It after all, they sit on dealers lots through the winter. Question is how do you want to use it and, how cold is cold? What's your rig? Generally, If you'll be living in it then be prepared to use a lot of propane to keep it comfy inside and above freezing in the basement. What fridge? If it a traditional RV absorption fridge, the don't work well when temps get close to freezing. Some put a lightbulb in the cavity behind the fridge to keep the temp up.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

I have lived in my 5th wheel through very cold winter weather. What we do is, fill our fresh water tank, unhook the city water hose (so they don't freeze and also so the water faucet, etc. doesn't freeze) If hooked up to sewer, we unhook the sewer, so, other than electricity, we boondock our unit. Keeping the inside warm, warms the basement and also our tanks. We have never had problems doing this. Prior to this, years ago, we ended up with frozen tanks, water hoses and water faucets. Also, we have never had a problem with our fridge, which is a two way rv fridge.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
The unit can handle It after all, they sit on dealers lots through the winter. Question is how do you want to use it and, how cold is cold? What's your rig? Generally, If you'll be living in it then be prepared to use a lot of propane to keep it comfy inside and above freezing in the basement. What fridge? If it a traditional RV absorption fridge, the don't work well when temps get close to freezing. Some put a lightbulb in the cavity behind the fridge to keep the temp up.
Stingray, thanks for the info. To answer your questions: We plan to FT in it. As for how cold? Im not sure but I have to go to Colorado Springs so it could get real cold.
My question about using a lot of propane, what is a lot? I have two 10 gallon tanks- about how long does that last in your experience? Are you saying that heating the living quarters will take care of the tanks, pipes, etc.?
Thanks
Deanwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Based on what's been written here and other forums, a tank a day may not be unusual. The Arctic Package is really no more than added insulation and strategically placed reflective foil - I don't think there's anything to engage. There's a lot more to consider when staying in a place that's as cold as Colorado Springs. Depending on the amount of time you need to be there and the trailer you have, you may be happier with a short term apartment rental.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote