Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #1

Carefree Awning Tensioner

Has anyone tried using a center rafter like below on an electric awning? I was hoping this along with adding tilt to the awning would allow me to keep out in the rain etc..

Thoughts?

CAREFREE AWNING TENSION RAFTER VI - PPL Motor Homes
Attached Images

UpstateNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

How steep is your pitch when extended? Mine is about 45 degrees and I use ties downs and lock the star lock arms. Great in the wind and keeps the rain off due to angle and tension.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
How steep is your pitch when extended? Mine is about 45 degrees and I use ties downs and lock the star lock arms. Great in the wind and keeps the rain off due to angle and tension.
If I am able to get 45 degrees out of it I may be ok. Just been reading about some horror stories here. Our camper getting delivered tomorrow and will check it out. thank you!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Have you got a pic of how you use the tie downs? My arms keep retracting if I put any tension on them with a tie down. I have tightened the wheel nuts tight as I can with my hands but they still slip..
Gobbledot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbledot View Post
Have you got a pic of how you use the tie downs? My arms keep retracting if I put any tension on them with a tie down. I have tightened the wheel nuts tight as I can with my hands but they still slip..
I don't have any pics currently sorry. I have a Dometic awning so maybe I can get it tighter. They will move a little bit. The tie downs I have are U clamp tie downs. Not made any longer from what I can see. Velcro release and they go in the tube slot for holding. I have had mine out in 25 MPH side winds and always in the rain due to the pitch being favorable and no puddling at all.

If you do not have a good pitch regardless of what you do there will be pooling.

I do pull in my awning at night and when away regardless of tie downs.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

New camper delivered this weekend. What a test the weather was on the awning. Saturday afternoon we had heavy rain. Adjusted back side down 1 notch and front side 4 notches creating a decent pitch.. Rain ran off like a champ. Today we had high winds, again left awning out and it was very sturdy. Very happy so far, but time will tell. Even if I did want to get the tensioner, the middle point of awning is all window..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9569.JPG  

Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 AM   #7

I was wondering the same. I had one on an old TT I had, but it was a manual awning. On my 29.5 BHDS, the awning is 21' long. If you look down the length of the awning on the roll, you can actually see how it curves, so the tension bar would tighten the awning as it has alot of sag as well as putting some tension on the roll.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote