Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #1

Careful with that remote!

I'm sharing my bonehead move yesterday to hopefully save anyone from making the same mistake while operating the slide outs with the remote control. I totally crunched the interior door between the bunkhouse and living room of our new Eagle Premier 375BHFS while retracting the big slide. After closing all the other slides and carefully checking to make sure all cabinets and doors were closed, I was in the process of closing the large dinette/couch slide when I noticed through the window water pouring off the slide topper from the rain the previous day. At that point I grabbed the remote control and went outside to close it so I wouldn't damage the topper as I had done on a previous camper by retracting the slide with a bunch of water pooled up on it. When the slide was almost in I heard a loud pop and noticed a jolt in the slide. I immediately knew what had happened. I remembered my son had gone back into the bunkhouse to retrieve something after I had closed it up and he didn't close the door back.

You can't be too careful! Double check everything and then check it again if you want to avoid the sickening feeling I still have. I just hope and pray I can get a replacement door. Waiting for word from the dealer.

If anyone has had a similar experience I would like to hear if you were successful getting replacement parts.
charlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #2

I did the same thing yesterday. Didn't have one of the recliners quite back far enough, and the slide caught it and pushed it into the small table between the recliners. I stopped it when I heard the slide motor start to grunt, so no damage for me, just one more of those things in the learning curve.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

We ordered a 2015 27DSRL last September and picked it up just after new years. Everything looked good during the walk thru so we towed it home. A few weeks later I noticed that the way the bathroom door was hung it could a) swing open and hit the refer door with the knob, potentially denting the refer and b) if the door happened to be left open a foot or so when the slide out was retracted the door could be crushed. I checked the online floor plan and sure enough the door was hung backward! It is hinged on the right and opens into the living area. It should be hinged on the left and open into the living area. Hung correctly both the problems I mentioned above can not happen. I contacted Jayco CS, sent pictures for them to verify my claim and they are going to take care of it under warranty. Moral of my tale is check the online floor plan. You may find out your unit is not built to print.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #4

Our rear slide when in is real close to a closet door, and two lower drawers. We were setting up this spring and the wife was running the slide out when we hears a crunching sound. When you let off the switch it still runs in or out for a second. Well one of the drawers somehow worked it's way out enough to catch the trim running down the side of the slide. Tore some staples out. Used a small screw to tighten it back up. You can't see the drawers unless you climb onto the bed a bit. We always check it now, until we forget.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

What Russ611 said, the bunk house door on mine swings into the bunk house and can't get in the slide.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

Bathroom door swung open when closing slide and yes bent it inwards damaging the bottom of the door jam. It was fixable, but a lesson learned to make sure everything latched and closed. Luckily with my new TT there is only one slide to have to worry about.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

When we first got our trailer, we used to keep a water jug in a milk crate back in the corner by the bunk ladder. With the slide IN, you can't see back there unless you walk all the way to the back of the trailer and look. It's a nice place to store that particular item, but it can and does move during transit. DW was opening the slide and and DW forgot to go look, and that milk crate had slid in the way of the slide. Luckily she let off the switch immediately when she heard something not right. Ended up just popping a piece of trim off; easily reattached, but scary on our brand new trailer.

Now we check and double check the area around the slide before opening OR closing the slide. There are come cabinets on the entertainment center that would get torn to shreds if they were left open.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #8

Good points by all. I saw a new unit at a dealer once with the bunkhouse cabinets damaged by the slides because the cabinets opened up while the slides were in. That stuck with me and is why I'm normally so thorough to make sure all cabinets, doors, recliners, rugs, etc. are clear before moving the slides. I just got distracted by the water pouring off the topper and got too focused on that.

As far as the door mounting, it would be worse opening into the bunkhouse because of the 2 slides in there and the door would be in the way while open. The good news is that my dealer came through and I ordered a new door today. The bad news is that the nauseous feeling didn't go away since it is lightening my wallet by $550. I'm just glad the slide out mechanism or door frame didn't get damaged.
charlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

charlank,

I almost did the same thing on our 2014 375 shortly after we got it. Fortunately, I caught it just as the slide hit the door and stopped without any damage. Hate that it's $550 to replace, but glad Jayco is able to replace it for you.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #10

So the 27 DSRL is supposed to have the a door hinged on the left and not the right? I'm always careful to close the slide because In noticed it could pinch the door.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote