Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Carpeted step cover issues

I ordered a set of Camco carpeted step covers like we had on your previous Wildcat FW. Got them today and put them on then went to fold them up, but the would not fold up all the way. They were too thick and prevented the middle step from folding under the top step. After I pulled them off, I noticed there was maybe 1/8" clearance between the two. So am sending them back to Amazon.

We had Camco turf type step covers on our Wildcat and they folded up as they should even with four steps instead of three. Anyone have this problem? Did you come up with something on the steps to clean your feet as you enter the rig?

Here is a pic of the steps with the carpet on them and how far they would only fold up. You can see how much the brackets are sticking out past the frame...

Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:31 PM   #2

I made the set for mine. Bought the outdoor carpet at Lowes and the grommet kit and springs at Harbor Freight. If I remember right made them for less than $4 per step. Mine does rub a little but do fold up fine.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #3

Have the same covers on my 24.5CKTS. All I do is give the steps a little extra shove with my foot when folding up and of course you need a tad more elbow grease to extend the steps. I figure that after using them for a while, the cover material on the contact edge will compress and the resistance will be less.
OTTERCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTERCOMET View Post
Have the same covers on my 24.5CKTS. All I do is give the steps a little extra shove with my foot when folding up and of course you need a tad more elbow grease to extend the steps. I figure that after using them for a while, the cover material on the contact edge will compress and the resistance will be less.
I tried pushing them in by hand as hard as I could and there was no way they were going in. I even pulled one off to give it more room and they still wouldn't fold in. The gap is just too tight.

Besides I keep it under a tight 3 sided cover where the pic was taken. There isn't enough room to really give them a kick or shove with my foot, which I wouldn't have done anyway. Especially since we occasionally get in and out of it while it's under there. Without the carpet, they are super easy to pull out and fold in.

Maybe the turf type instead of carpet will work better since it has give to it wheres the carpet does not.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #5

Here's the pics of the one's I made - the grommet and spring kit.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #6

Nice job MLOK! if I made something like that, it would have to be super thin carpet.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #7

Mine bind some also, I just have to give it a little extra "elbow grease" … both closing and opening.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote