Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #1

Central AC not blowing hard.

2017 Eagle 26.5bhs, the AC unit does not protrude down into the cabin of the coach, it has 4 vents in the main area, 2 in bedroom, 1 in upper bunk bed, and 1 in bathroom. only 2 vents in the living area blow hard and the bedroom vents blow hard. the rest don't seem have much volume coming out. it definitely blows cold but am wondering if there is something I can fix or modify to get more volume and to cool the trailer better?
DCtruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

Central AC not blowing hard.

My Eagle HT 26.5BHS was the same. Most of the air go’s to the outside of the racetrack loop. Worked well, but the middle vents were slower flowing. My current Eagle is similar. Some modify the vents by taking out the black plastic duct insert that’s connected to the vent and then tape the space between the ceiling and the duct with HVAC tape. I did this on my HT and it helped. My Eagle came his way from the factory and I just removed the black duct inserts. Do a search and you’ll probably find some pics of what I’m describing.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #3

I watched a video the other day where they took and put stick on door handle wall protectors up in the duct where the vents are to disrupt the airflow just enough to push more air out the vent area…. Guess what showed up in my mailbox today…. Stick on door handle wall protectors…. For $8 is was worth trying… lol. I’ll try to remember to update this thread with my non expert findings.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

have you ever noticed those two large vents built into your upper deck steps? Those two large steps are vented directly into the uninsulated basement storage of your 5th wheel that actually spreads heat or cool throughout below the floor of your coach and eventually escapes into the outside climate. This is Jayco's way of calling your coach 4 season protected. First thing i did was block those vents by accessing the basement side panel and also added insulation tubing to all the water lines within the basement and side panels. I also added styrofoam insulation to the basement ceiling & areas i could reach within the side panels. This made a huge difference in my coach maintaining desired temps and put's less strain on the heater or AC. I guarantee, you spend a day doing this and you will notice a huge difference in your coach keeping more comfortable temps.. Overall, it cost me about $30 in material to do all this and the hardest part is removing the basement side panel screws for access.. I wouldn't recommend this quick hack if it didn't make a worthy difference. You need to do it.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #5

Aren't those vents on the steps the furnace return air ? If so , you will need to open up before heating season.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #6

Here are the 2 larger vents that air comes out of. Not sure the exact function but there isn’t much above them when removed. I also do not have any vents in my steps that you guys are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
C3214A9B-3151-43BD-A17E-8940491BE7A0.jpg  
Old 07-26-2021, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtruckin View Post
Here are the 2 larger vents that air comes out of. Not sure the exact function but there isn’t much above them when removed. I also do not have any vents in my steps that you guys are talking about.

The one on the left should be your return filter. You should clean or replace twice a year. The vents on steps are actually part of the step. Check the face side of your steps, should be two vents, one on each step level that is actually made of wood and part of the step. The only way you can block these are on the back side by accessing through your attic side panels.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #8

No, The vents in steps do nothing but vent into the basement. Those are the so called heating vents to warm the underside plumbing. Unfortunately, they also allow the AC cool air to escape and be wasted. I insulated all the water lines and covered the vents with 2 inch foam. Makes a world of difference.,,
Old 07-27-2021, 05:04 AM   #9

The HT 26.5BHS doesn’t have the vents cut into the steps like the some other models. As stated, clean those returns you circled every now and then.

I’d just pull those duct inserts out and tape up that in between space. That’ll grant you a little more flow. Also, if everyone is in the center of the trailer, close the bunk vent and the bedroom vents to force more air to the center.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
The HT 26.5BHS doesn’t have the vents cut into the steps like the some other models. As stated, clean those returns you circled every now and then.

I’d just pull those duct inserts out and tape up that in between space. That’ll grant you a little more flow. Also, if everyone is in the center of the trailer, close the bunk vent and the bedroom vents to force more air to the center.
Those returns are pretty clean looking when I pulled them out the other day.

Which duct inserts are you talking about? Are those actually in each vent?
Old 07-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #11

So I pulled the larger vents out. Driver side inlet has some kind of foam divider in the middle, passenger side looks like it DID have one but gone now.

I closed every vent in the trailer besides the 4 in the living area. The front 2 vents blow weak, the rear 2 blow strong. Also the 2 in the master bedroom are closed but blow so hard that decent air flow is coming out of the closed vents. The bathroom and upper bunk bed vents blow weak as well.

Trying to understand why only 50% blow hard and the other half dont?
Attached Thumbnails
D8102C0E-1646-4034-89E8-184450AC0276.jpg   12878056-DC6B-417A-A93E-AD7F7D98A2A8.jpg   68DCE3A8-7E86-4881-9EBD-492154B20B82.jpg  
Old 07-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #12

Sorry about the sideways photos, those are on the ceiling. Also took pic of the filter doesn’t look bad or doesn’t look like it would filter much either.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
No, The vents in steps do nothing but vent into the basement. Those are the so called heating vents to warm the underside plumbing. Unfortunately, they also allow the AC cool air to escape and be wasted. I insulated all the water lines and covered the vents with 2 inch foam. Makes a world of difference.,,
The vents in the step are the cold air return for the furnace and acts just like the cold air return in your house. The downside is as you indicated it is a source of cold air loss in the summer when the A/C is running. I'd cover them in the summer but leave if open in the winter.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
The vents in the step are the cold air return for the furnace and acts just like the cold air return in your house. The downside is as you indicated it is a source of cold air loss in the summer when the A/C is running. I'd cover them in the summer but leave if open in the winter.
I don’t have any vents in the steps on mine.