Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #21

Just remember, it's only flat on the bottom.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #22

I carry a Trailer aid ramp, a Ridgid 1/2” 18 volt battery impact gun and impact socket. Just put the good tire up on the ramp and it will lift the flat tire. The impact gun gets the lugnuts off quick.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by esacnj View Post
i know some people who say the trailer aid does not raise high enough to get the flat tire high enough to change
Yup, I’m one. I’ve found that a layer of 2x4’s will give my Anderson enough lift to get the adjacent tire off the ground. If it’s wide spaced axles I’d think the Anderson wouldn’t work.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #24

The trailer Aid is rated to 17,000 pounds or so and lets say it does lift the flat tire off the ground. Now your 3500 pound axle is supporting the weight of both axles on that side of the rig. So you are now supporting 7,000 pounds on your 3,500 pound axle. I guess it is ok temporarily but does not sound like a good idea to put all that stress on one wheel to me.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #25

Everyone might be shocked by this but try calling your local Sheriff's Office....no kidding!
Sixteen years of
To "Serve and Protect" and change tires
It was Departmental policy to assist all motorist (except Semi's) with tire changes. I carried a heavy floor jack, breaker bars, 4 way to get the job done. I would have put Indy pit crews to shame. People were shocked and pleasantly surprised.
If I couldn't get the job done then I stayed roadside with the disabled vehicle until a tire service came.
All part of the job Boy, I miss it!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Everyone might be shocked by this but try calling your local Sheriff's Office....no kidding!
Sixteen years of
It was Departmental policy to assist all motorist (except Semi's) with tire changes. I carried a heavy floor jack, breaker bars, 4 way to get the job done. I would have put Indy pit crews to shame. People were shocked and pleasantly surprised.
If I couldn't get the job done then I stayed roadside with the disabled vehicle until a tire service came.
You just brought a memory from years ago when I was driving trucks.
I saw this PA State Police car behind this huge yellow cadallic. As I got closer, I saw this rather robust looking fellow standing there smoking a cigar (think boss hogg) and all of a sudden I saw this petite female state trooper, rolling his flat tire out to replace it with the spare. It was talked about on the CB for while. Funny to see that.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #27

Unfortunately we’ve been faced with a flat on a fifth wheel. We used Camping World’s ’ Trailer-Aid® PLUS, Black, Catalog Item # 10867. Worked like a dream!!!
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Sixteen years of
You are correct and something we keep forgetting. We had a flat tire on the 5vr & Ohio State Trooper pulled up behind us & helped with the tire & told us we should have called for assistance. And when the truck broke down, a Kentucky State Trooper pulled up behind us & said the same thing.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #29

Trailer flats

Last year were traveling back from Indiana. In New Mexico we had a flat. Using the trailer aid didn't quite lift high enough to place the spare on but we had bottle jacks and wood blocks so we were able to get going again.
17 miles south of Flagstaff we had another flat (thank goodness for TPMS). Now we had no spare so we called our GS Roadside assist. They transferred us to a local tire service. Now the flat tires were fine as the valves had failed but this "service" wanted to charge over $600.00 to bring out two new tires and mount them (also a charge.)
We said "thanks but no thanks" used the trailer aid, unhooked the TV and drove the 17 miles to Flagstaff where the good people at Discount tire replaced the vales and we were out of there in 20 minutes no charge.
Our feeling was the Roadside Assistance was less than stellar.
So, the use of the trailer aid and having the bottle jacks made a difference.
snerdwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerdwack View Post
(thank goodness for TPMS). Now the flat tires were fine as the valves had failed
Interesting, did the tire "valve stem" fail, or did the TPMS sensor on the valve stem fail and let the air out?? I put metal valve stems in my rims when I added my TPMS sensors, not thinking the sensor could leak.......
Old 02-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #31

It was the valve stems. My wife has exceptional hearing and could hear the tire leak from the far side from the tire with the issue.
Discount tire replaced the stems and the tires have been fine since.
snerdwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #32

Quote:
It was the valve stems. My wife has exceptional hearing and could hear the tire leak from the far side from the tire with the issue.
Discount tire replaced the stems and the tires have been fine since.
Thanks so much!! Sorry to hear about her exceptional hearing....I've had to work for years on perfecting my "selective" hearing.....LOL
Old 02-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Check to make sure that particular one will lift your wheel and tire off of the ground. I have one and had to cut a 2x8 to put under it to get the other tire off the ground it just wasn't quite high enough.
rhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Now we had no spare so we called our GS Roadside assist. They transferred us to a local tire service. Now the flat tires were fine as the valves had failed but this "service" wanted to charge over $600.00 to bring out two new tires and mount them (also a charge.)
From my experience and hearing from others, the base charge for GS Road Service seems to be $600 per occurrence. All they seem to be is a call center, no price agreements on what service can or would run.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:05 AM   #35

I use two hydraulic bottle jacks under the axle or a scissor jack. I modified the top of the bottle jack with welded on flat bar bent on both ends. They work great for repacking your bearings. The manuals mention it is not a good idea to use your jacks to lift the axle. I also recommend if you have a spare tire that has a rim made from mild steel, to torque the bolts often. I sheared off all 8 lug studs and lost my wheel because the soft metal rim just loosens as you drive. I purchased two spare tires that have aluminum alloy rims.

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #36

I have a 2019 Octane toy hauler and the first thing I did was go to
Discount Tire and have the wheels balanced and metal valve stems
for my TST tire sensors.
I have factory Goodyear tires and the sales person asked me if I wanted
to buy the Discount tire warranty as the tires only had on a few thousand
miles. I said ok, $35 per tire plus spare. The warranty includes lifetime
rotation and balance and they did not charge me for the first balance
and metal valve stems.
4 days later after returning from the scales, my tires sensors were going off. Screw on outside edge of tire.
Back to Discount Tire, no questions, they put on a brand new tire.
Only thing you have to buy the warranty for the new tire.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #37

I have a 2017 Pinnacle and have had a lot of experience with changing flat tires and brakes. I probably have over 20,000 miles on the Pinnacle with a couple of trips out West and local trips of 700 to 800 mile trips. That said the Pinnacle came equipped with China made Load range E tires (China tires are a joke! And dangerous!). They started disintegrating around 4000 miles. Then I put 4 brand new G rated China tires (Sampson) at 5000 miles. The only thing that those tires had on strength was the name. After replacing 3 of those tires on the road and in parking lots, I called an on-line tire dealer in Northwest Ohio and bought European 17.5 inch tires that are load rated J and rims, (So far so good). These were not put on to increase the load rating on the 5th wheel because I am below the gross weight of 14313 lbs. They were bought because they are truly a commercial tire and I am sick of China made tires.
Now on to the real subject at hand, I have become very efficient at changing tires on the 2017 Pinnacle on the road, parking lots and at home. I carry a multitude of equipment to change tires on the road:
1. Three jacks that are rated at: 20 tons, 12 tons and 10 tons bottle jacks. Over kill for sure but when you are in the middle of nowhere and it takes 2 hours to 2 days for your Big Name tire changing service to get where you are, you should be ready for anything. When jacking up both tires the extra jacks come in handy with a jack on each side of the tires on the frame when changing brakes. I make sure the jacks are in the exact middle of the frame.
2. Four 6x6x18 treated wood blocks with handles attached. I have not found a bottle jack yet that will go from the ground to the frame of the Pinnacle (approximately 24”), even the 20 ton jack is not long enough.
3. Torque wrench set at 100 lbs with a 6” extension and socket.
4. Battery driven impact wrench that is capable of 400 ft lbs of torque. NOT TO BE USED TO TIGHTEN THE LUG NUTS, but to break the lug nuts loose. I have Ridgid ½ inch drive impact driver, works great.
5. Strong arm with a pipe extension, in case #4 doesn’t work or battery goes dead.
6. Air compressor (Slime compressor, Amazon) that will pump over 100 psi and that connects directly to the batteries on the truck or 5th wheel. If the truck is connected to the 5th wheel, which is a good thing, keeps the 5th wheel from moving while jacking. I would be connecting the compressor leads to the Pinnacle’s batteries. I also put the front jacks down.
7. I also carry a battery operated grinder with a steel cutting disc on it. I had a tire wrapped around the axle and the only way to get it off was to cut it off with the grinder. This is another Ridgid tool.
8. A good tire gauge or two or three. Never can have too many.
9. 5 red reflective triangles with a yellow reflective vest. Cars and Semis seem to want to see how close they can come, since the tire that has a problem is always on the street side.
I never let anyone else jack up my Pinnacle especially a tire store. They do not usually have the equipment to jack up a 5th wheel the size of the Pinnacle. The first thing they roll out is a long handle roll jack that works well on a car but not on the axles of the trailer. I am paranoid about a bent axle. Hopefully all this is over kill for me since putting on the commercial tires.
JPKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I carry a bottle jack, breaker bar with socket attachment and a torque wrench rated to apply sufficient torque to tighten the lug nuts to spec. I use the breaker bar rather than the torque wrench to remove the lug nuts to avoid damaging the torque wrench if the nuts become frozen or were over tightened. If you overstress the torque wrench loosing a nut you may throw off the calibration.
My time in the Army as a helicopter mechanic taught me not to use a torque wrench as a breaker bar.
Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #39

Hey Gang
I'm digging up this thread again because I need clarification on whether or not the ramp style system (like Trailer Aid) will work at all on the tandem leaf spring suspensions that many of us have on our rigs.

Many Amazon reviewers state repeatedly that the ramps used to elevate the flat tire using the adjacent good wheel on a ramp will only work on torsion-rod suspension and not on the tandem leaf-springs because the center hanging shackles between the leaf sets will see-saw and leave the bad wheel on the ground.

Others claim that adding a 2-by plank under the ramp will give it the lift needed to get the job done, but again, it is not often clear what suspension they have when they say so.

I have a bunch of pressure treated 2x10 stock lying around and can make my own ramps but would like to know if I am wasting my time and just need to spring for robust bottle jacks and Jack stands. I am also thinking of total weight in the basement.

TIA as always for any help
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Hey Gang
I'm digging up this thread again because I need clarification on whether or not the ramp style system (like Trailer Aid) will work at all on the tandem leaf spring suspensions that many of us have on our rigs.

Many Amazon reviewers state repeatedly that the ramps used to elevate the flat tire using the adjacent good wheel on a ramp will only work on torsion-rod suspension and not on the tandem leaf-springs because the center hanging shackles between the leaf sets will see-saw and leave the bad wheel on the ground.

Others claim that adding a 2-by plank under the ramp will give it the lift needed to get the job done, but again, it is not often clear what suspension they have when they say so.

I have a bunch of pressure treated 2x10 stock lying around and can make my own ramps but would like to know if I am wasting my time and just need to spring for robust bottle jacks and Jack stands. I am also thinking of total weight in the basement.

TIA as always for any help
Angus
I have used the trailer aide on my north point. It'll get the wheel off, but if it's leaning in the direction of the flat you'll need a little extra, like the 2x10 your referencing. The tire place used mine to install all 4 of my tires.