Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #21

What I used to do when servicing the bearings on our old hybrid was I lowered the tongue as low as it could go. This would lift the back do the trailer up. I would then put an axle stand under the frame as close to the wheels as I could, then raise the tongue up. As it was rising, the trailer would rest on the stand and that side of the trailer would end up rising off the ground. Another axle stand in front of the wheels makes it a bit safer. I only did one side at a time, but it was

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
What I used to do when servicing the bearings on our old hybrid was I lowered the tongue as low as it could go. This would lift the back do the trailer up. I would then put an axle stand under the frame as close to the wheels as I could, then raise the tongue up. As it was rising, the trailer would rest on the stand and that side of the trailer would end up rising off the ground. Another axle stand in front of the wheels makes it a bit safer. I only did one side at a time, but it was
I bet something like that could work for me. Thanks!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #23

Never thought of lowering the tongue jack and putting stands in the back first. I need to do all 4 next year to get new tires... I would think the tongue jack would lift and hold the weight just fine. I would put two more stands under the front of the frame at the spring perches as well. Maybe I'll make a day of it and check brakes, pack bearings, replace bushings, and replace tires... actually, that sounds more like a weekend!

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #24

After reading some of the replies here, this is my crazy thinking concerning changing flat on a tandem axle! Lol

Have a shorter 2x8 (10 or 12) that you drive the good tire up on, then place a bottle jack under the spring mount. Not near as much stress as the "trailer aid", but the 2x gives you a little more height to raise the jack without stressing the "flat axle" to change the tire.

As for jacking all 4 tires off the ground, I have seen Discount Tire place a jack under the center equalizer (doesn't mean it's the right way!!!). I have also seen them use 2 floor jacks on the same side, just in front and just behind the tires. I know not many have 2 floor jacks which makes it tough. Maybe borrow one from a neighbor?

As for lowering the tongue, then placing the jack stands behind the rear tires, my only concern would be the concentrated stress on the frame at that point, not spread out like the spring mounts are. Paranoid??? Definitely better than someone lowering the tongue, then lowering the rear scissor jacks down, then raising the tongue back up. That would be all kinds of bad!!!!

Keep posting the methods and ideas you have!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #25

Yeah, that's what I thought too, when I first started doing it. But I figured if I put the axle stand as close to the spring mount behind the wheels as possible, and then another one in the front, then the weight is spread out in two different places, more-or-less the way it was designed. And the tongue jack can handle the weight as well. Our old hybrid weighed somewhere around 4,400 lbs and came with a 2,000 lb manual jack. And it still did the job easily.

(P.S. I apologize for the my first post that was cut off. I was using my phone and my typing is a bit sloppy on the tiny keyboard.)
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #26

I have the trailer aid. recommended by a friend who owns a RV repair shop
Old 10-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #27

North,

It s just the process of getting the trailer "up" than concerns me. Once it is up with the tongue jack and a second set of jack stands are under the frame, it should be good. As I said, maybe I am just a little paranoid, or over thinking it.

Now with that said, a lighter trailer may very well be fine doing it that way. Maybe there is a "cut off point" for a heavier trailer like we have???

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
North,

It s just the process of getting the trailer "up" than concerns me. Once it is up with the tongue jack and a second set of jack stands are under the frame, it should be good. As I said, maybe I am just a little paranoid, or over thinking it.

Now with that said, a lighter trailer may very well be fine doing it that way. Maybe there is a "cut off point" for a heavier trailer like we have???
I just don't think it can be reasonably avoided. It would be virtually impossible (for this shade tree mechanic anyway) to jack the trailer at 4 points evenly all at once. I'm thinking if you place the second set of stands in front of the front axle and let the tongue down (like was mentioned before, this is basically how the frame is suspended on the springs anyway) and keep some weight on the tongue jack, that's about as good as I can get. I'll probably drop the stab jacks too once the frame is on 4 stands just for that "belt & suspenders" effect. Try to get all the weight spread throughout the entire frame... My trailer is 33' and about 7400 lbs "empty" (not loaded for a trip and no water), so frame flex becomes a real issue for me I think.

In my case, the rig could be sitting like this for a few hours. I'll have to take all 4 wheels with old tires mounted, and 4 new tires to the tire shop to have the new ones mounted and balanced and then reinstall everything and let it all back down nice and easy.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #29

I'll be swapping tires this week to S637's. My plan is to jack under the spring pads with my two floor jacks high enough to get the wheels off. I'll take the front two up to get changed and then after they're on I'll do the rear two. I also considered using the spare tire so that I can still do two tires at a time but only have one axle end on the jack during the tire mounting time.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I'll be swapping tires this week to S637's. My plan is to jack under the spring pads with my two floor jacks high enough to get the wheels off. I'll take the front two up to get changed and then after they're on I'll do the rear two. I also considered using the spare tire so that I can still do two tires at a time but only have one axle end on the jack during the tire mounting time.
Not a half bad idea IMO. I do have 2 jacks I could use. And albeit this would create two trips to the tire shop, it might just be enough easier to justify it... Decisions...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE