Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Charging/maintaining battery.

Just wondering about the circuits: If I turn the red main 12v power switch OFF located in the side "basement" of my 28.5 RSTS so that "nothing" is still on and possibly consuming a bit of energy, and I am still plugged in to shore power, is my battery still charging or is the charging circuit also "off"??

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #2

Easy way to tell is with a DVM, with the switches set as you say, check the voltage across the batteries with the DVM. Should be in the 13.x range if charging, 12.7v or less if not charging. 12.7v is 100% charged.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

That’s one of those “it depends” questions. You will only really know with some testing. With my 5’er, the way that it was factory wired, there World still be some parasite loss with the switch off. I rewired it when I added my solar and battery bank so that off is now truly off.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #4

with many battery disconnect switches, the safety-critical circuits such as smoke and CO2 sensors will remain connected. Before we went full-time and I wanted to put the RV in storage, I would physically disconnect the battery ground (black) to remove all doubt. Unless there is something unusual about the Eagle rig, being connected to shore power with everything hooked up at the battery should have your battery-minder on and floating a charge as necessary.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #5

Noting your solar setup, what exactly did you do? I am thinking of adding solar to keep my batteries topped off so I can run the inverter and keep the residential fridge on for a couple weeks at a time between outings.
kcordell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

Gonna need a helluva solar array and a battery-bank to run a residential fridge for a "couple of weeks at a time".... Mine is primarily for light 120v use, some television, charging phones & computers, DW's CPAP, and other light use.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #7

All I want to do is try to keep the batteries (I have 2, 12 volt) charged up which will keep the inverter running for the fridge. Still trying to calculate daily wattage on the fridge.
kcordell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
with a properly installed battery disconnect switch the battery doesn't get charged.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

I have 200 watts of solar on my roof but do not have a residential fridge. In my opinion, there is not enough roof surface area to put the number of panels you would need to run an inverter powering a fridge.

My inverter pulls almost 10 amps just to power a TV and the Direct TV stuff. A fridge, assuming it uses a compressor, will eat up way more than that.

Say you do get enough panels up there for the fridge, what happens on cloudy days or overnight? The battery or batteries would be greatly sucked down. Then when the sun was out again you would not only be powering the fridge but would also have to recharge the battery.

Just my electronic opinion.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #10

Home (shore) Power

Before we purchased our Eagle HT 25..5, I put in 50 amp outlet on the back of our house. I purchased a 25' 6 gauge extension to get power to the 5er while it sits at home. When we are ready to leave I can run both AC's and get it and the fridge cool while we load the groceries.

My questions is this. Its there any harm in keeping it plugged in to the shore power while not in use? Does it keep the batteries charged? Even with the shore power would be be better to disconnect the batteries and put a Battery minder on it?

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mark

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
Site Team

[QUOTE=Madwinger;788985]Before we purchased our Eagle HT 25..5, I put in 50 amp outlet on the back of our house. I purchased a 25' 6 gauge extension to get power to the 5er while it sits at home. When we are ready to leave I can run both AC's and get it and the fridge cool while we load the groceries.

My questions is this. Its there any harm in keeping it plugged in to the shore power while not in use? Does it keep the batteries charged? Even with the shore power would be be better to disconnect the batteries and put a Battery minder on it?

What are your thoughts on this?"

The converter in your unit is a three stage charger/maintainer. It will keep the batteries fully charged . It does the same thing a Battery Tender does, so you are good to leave it plugged in.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwinger View Post
Thanks
Mark
Mark, I am plugged into shore power 24/7. And yes it keeps the batteries topped off. Going down the road, my batteries keep my residential fridge running perfectly............usually do not travel more than six hours a day, but my batteries are still at 12.5 to 13.5 when we stop.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #13

[QUOTE=JFlightRisk;788989]
Quote:
Before we purchased our Eagle HT 25..5, I put in 50 amp outlet on the back of our house. I purchased a 25' 6 gauge extension to get power to the 5er while it sits at home. When we are ready to leave I can run both AC's and get it and the fridge cool while we load the groceries.

What are your thoughts on this?"

The converter in your unit is a three stage charger/maintainer. It will keep the batteries fully charged . It does the same thing a Battery Tender does, so you are good to leave it plugged in.

That is good to know. I appreciate the info. So much to learn. We are old campers but this house on wheels has a learning curve to it. Great to know there is help with questions here. Thank you so so much.

Mark

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 09-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Mark, I am plugged into shore power 24/7. And yes it keeps the batteries topped off. Going down the road, my batteries keep my residential fridge running perfectly............usually do not travel more than six hours a day, but my batteries are still at 12.5 to 13.5 when we stop.

And thank you too for the reply. You all are so nice to take the time to help new 5er owners with the learning curve. BTW my wife till talks about Sequim, WA from our trip to Victoria many years ago. We will be up there at some point in time with the new 5er.

Thanks again.

Mark

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 09-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #15

I would recommend finding out what converter you have in your rig and then downloading the manual for it. That will give you the info you need.

My converter is a 4 stage one which appears to be a good choice for maintaining a battery. It looks like you can keep it plugged in all the time.

Jim

Old 09-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:

Thanks

Mark
Madwinger,

I have a 50amp RV pedestal installed at the house and leave the RV connected to it full time. The converter is and will provide a full charge (14+ volts) to the battery which will end up boiling the battery(ies) in the long term. I fried my marine Interstate battery doing this.

Solution: The RV will run the 12v items with the converter and with no battery connected. Unless you have a “smart” converter that will reduce the voltage to the battery once the battery is fully charged, I suggest you install a master battery disconnect and leave it in the off position. Only occasionally switch to on to make sure the battery is fully charged. I charge my battery one day out of the week and that seems to do the trick. Of coarse once you disconnect from house/shore power then make sure disconnect switch is in on position.

Bottom line is that the only time you use the 12 volt battery is when your not connected to either shore power or a tow vehicle.
Jaimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimster View Post
Madwinger,

I have a 50amp RV pedestal installed at the house and leave the RV connected to it full time. The converter is and will provide a full charge (14+ volts) to the battery which will end up boiling the battery(ies) in the long term. I fried my marine Interstate battery doing this.
You have a defective charger. Most chargers today reduce voltages as the battery gets to full charge, then goes into float mode. If yours stays at 14 volts, it's defective.

Quote:
Solution: The RV will run the 12v items with the converter and with no battery connected.
That's a BAD solution to run the system without a battery installed. The battery acts like a "shock absorber" in the 12 volt system to smooth out any spikes.

Quote:
Unless you have a “smart” converter that will reduce the voltage to the battery once the battery is fully charged,
Yours should be a "smart" charger too, unless you damaged it by NOT leaving a battery installed (like I said above) when it turns on.

Quote:
Bottom line is that the only time you use the 12 volt battery is when your not connected to either shore power or a tow vehicle.
Wrong, any 12 volt systems in the rig always runs off the 12 batteries, the converter is there to keep those batteries charged.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #18

Oh RetiredOne, you hit the nail on the head. The modern converters have a 4 stage system (maybe 3 stage on some). It should be smart enough to chose wisely.

Many many years ago I fried a fridge control board, actually the power supply capacitor on it, by plugging in without a battery connected. Without the load of the battery I think the converter shot up a bit high.

I tip my hat to you.

Jim

Old 09-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcordell57 View Post
All I want to do is try to keep the batteries (I have 2, 12 volt) charged up which will keep the inverter running for the fridge. Still trying to calculate daily wattage on the fridge.
I have 520watts and 470ah of battery power. I think if I had full sun daily I could go a week.
Throw in a cloudy day, then a partial cloudy day...forget it.

You won’t do it with 2-12volts
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #20

I too have kept our 5er plugged into a 50amp plug since new in 2011. I had a battery get weak cell in 2017 so replaced both batteries. Only problem with the 12 volt I've had. We keep AC or heat on, fridge on since we use it for our " farm house " at the farm when not traveling.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote