Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Posts: 313
Chassis Differences

I was at the dealership today and went out in the lot to look at some roofs, I'm still working on getting Jayco to step up on my roof problem. Any way, I wanted to find a trailer with the slide out tray on it and did not see one. What surprise me however, the chassis on the Pinnacle appeared to be the same exact I-Beams that are on our super-lite. Is this so? I thought the top-of -the-line units would surely have a more stout chassis. Had the same mor-ryde suspension same wheels and tires as well.

Steve
__________________

Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: AZ, USA, Earth
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
I was at the dealership today and went out in the lot to look at some roofs, I'm still working on getting Jayco to step up on my roof problem. Any way, I wanted to find a trailer with the slide out tray on it and did not see one. What surprise me however, the chassis on the Pinnacle appeared to be the same exact I-Beams that are on our super-lite. Is this so? I thought the top-of -the-line units would surely have a more stout chassis. Had the same mor-ryde suspension same wheels and tires as well.

Steve
Did you measure the thickness of the metal in the I-beams?
__________________

__________________
Jeannie
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Adding to the comment on the I-beam thickness, there may also be some differences with the chassis cross members to account for the heavier weight of the Pinnacle.

Who knows, maybe Jayco is using the stout Pinnacle chassis on the Eagle Super-Lite FW as well

Bob

ps: Hope something works to your favor on your roof issue.
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Adding to the comment on the I-beam thickness, there may also be some differences with the chassis cross members to account for the heavier weight of the Pinnacle.

Who knows, maybe Jayco is using the stout Pinnacle chassis on the Eagle Super-Lite FW as well

Bob

ps: Hope something works to your favor on your roof issue.
I don't know how tall the I beam was but the thickness of the steel and width of the channel on the bottom of the frame appeared to be identical. I spent several hours under my trailer when I was installing the Steadyfast Stablizers.

I would guess that there must be more gusseting and cross members due to the additional weight that must be supported on the Pinnacle. Nice to know that my trailer shares some of the features of the top of the line Pinnacle.

Thanks Bob, for the supportive comments regarding my roof situation.

Steve
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
snip.....Thanks Bob, for the supportive comments regarding my roof situation. Steve
Your welcome....
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rolla Mo.
Posts: 4
I asked the same question to Jayco,They use the same Pinnacle Frame and Flooring Quality on the Eagle And the super-lite,The only differance is in the insalation and underbelly covering.
Amy's Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy's Husband View Post
I asked the same question to Jayco,They use the same Pinnacle Frame and Flooring Quality on the Eagle And the super-lite,The only differance is in the insalation and underbelly covering.
This is not entirely correct, according to Jayco's web site, the Eagle and Pinnacle have 5/8" tongue and groove flooring with R22 in the Pinnacle and R24 in the Eagle (this makes no sense to me) and the Superlite has a laminated sandwich of 3/8" plywood with a couple inches (possibly 3") of styrofoam and luan on the bottom giving an R9 insulation value. If you get the Glacier package on the Superlite you get an extra layer of R15 "reflective foil" in the floor giving the Superlite an R24 value. There is a huge difference in the construction of the Superlite underpinnings.

(Personally I think the "Glacier Package means it gets cold as a glacier inside in cold weather. This I know from experience).
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 588
I'll let you know about the Glacier package here one of these days. Our new SuperLite HT has that package and, hopefully, we will be using it after April 15. I'll let you know how it works, if I survive the cold weather. Two days ago when I got up it was 2 below and this morning it was 45 above. What a wonderful thing it is to be living in Wyoming.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
nylyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southeast, NY
Posts: 960
Wasn't the Glacier package for the Super-Lite the "standard" package in 2011? I could be wrong, but I thought that my 2011 has R24?
__________________
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 588
I have no idea whether it was standard in a 2011. Ours is a 2012 and the Glacier package is listed as a $137 option, I think. Maybe they just moved things around on the pricing.
__________________

jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.