Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

CheapHeat?

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

Anyone have any experience with this type of heat?

Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

I installed an electrical "heat strip" as an add on to a roof AC some years ago and was disappointed with it (took it back for refund). I don't think it's fair to compare the two because I don't have experience with CheapHeat, but if I ever buy another add-on electric heater I would find out what its output is and how that would affect my TT first.

We're satisfied with a couple of small plug-in heaters. But it's usually a matter of how they're aimed as compared to even heat for the total space.

Edit: And tonight if we were camped in SW Florida, we would be using them.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I installed an electrical "heat strip" as an add on to a roof AC some years ago and was disappointed with it (took it back for refund).
I've been using heat strips for years and always had great luck. Our son has one in his 17-ZX Hybrid and it keeps them very toasty on chilly nights. What problems did you have?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

Mine was also in a 17Z. It just never made enough heat to make it worth turning it on.
BTW, I got it at Holman's; I'll bet you know where they're at. The sales rep said more than a few customers were dissatisfied with them, but it was a stock item so I could return it.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Mine was also in a 17Z. It just never made enough heat to make it worth turning it on.
BTW, I got it at Holman's; I'll bet you know where they're at. The sales rep said more than a few customers were dissatisfied with them, but it was a stock item so I could return it.
Holman's are right in my backyard. That is where the two that I had in our SENECA and the one in our son's hybrid came from.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:

We're satisfied with a couple of small plug-in heaters. But it's usually a matter of how they're aimed as compared to even heat for the total space.

Edit: And tonight if we were camped in SW Florida, we would be using them.
I have small plug- in heater and it cost maybe $40.00 and I've used it approx. 100+ nights.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #7

I know on our atwood furnace, it gives you a forewarning to NOT install the cheap heat system. We've had heat strips in several, heat pumps etc. In the end, the small plug in heaters front and rear, and roof blower on and we're good to go. The heat strips we had did work to a point, but this unit didn't come with them. Heat pumps, those that have them know that once you get down in the 40-50 degree range, they're worthless.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I know on our atwood furnace, it gives you a forewarning to NOT install the cheap heat system...
Cheap Heat guarantees to replace your furnace if the add on damages the furnace it's added to so that negates Atwood's paranoia.

To those comparing Cheap Heat to the low power heat strips added to A/Cs, you are comparing apples and kumquats. Cheap Heat puts out far more heat and, since it's piggybacked to the furnace, it uses the furnace ductwork which will also direct heat to the underbelly and storage bays if the ductwork already runs there. Every post I've read on other forums made by people who have installed Cheap Heat (or have had it installed) have given been very happy with it. The only detractors I've seen are those who have not used it.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Wow. There are salespeople lurking just about everywhere. Cheap Heat doesn't look so "cheap" to me cost wise. I think I'll stick with my two $30 space heaters.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #10

1. No reference to cost (purchase or installation). Payback is probably beyond the life of the RV.

2. Carbon footprint eliminated??...BS...The power company is now doing that instead of you but the carbon emission still exists and is not eliminated.

3. Might be practical for a 50 amp RV where you can use 5000 watts. But on a 30 amp RV you are limited to 1800 watts. No better than the $40.00 space heater you are probably already using.

4. My impression of his presentation was he was 100% salesman scripted without any actual technical knowledge on what he was talking about. He was overselling the virtues of a couple of relays that operate the system.

UPDATE: I did a little further checking.
$1500 installed price. PLUS TAX!
I see no economic benefit with those numbers. $1500.00 will buy a hell of a lot of propane!

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote