Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Check Battery Water Often With Solar Panels

My previous trailer w/out solar never seemed to need water in batteries. My current trailer with 160 watt roof mounted solar needed water in battery after just a few months. A lot of water. I assume its bec. batteries are constantly working even though trailer has been in storage most of time and not in use. So just a heads up to check batteries often if you have solar even if in storage. It may be time for us to just disconnect batteries while in storage.
ddiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Team

I check the battery water level on the first day of each month. As my batteries aged (now 5+ years old, and still going strong), I noticed that they require more water than when new or they were younger.... wait so do I. When I equalize them they always need a little refreshing drink.

I have an alert in my smart phone calendar on the 1st of each month....

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #3

Solar Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiego View Post
My previous trailer w/out solar never seemed to need water in batteries. My current trailer with 160 watt roof mounted solar needed water in battery after just a few months. A lot of water. I assume its bec. batteries are constantly working even though trailer has been in storage most of time and not in use. So just a heads up to check batteries often if you have solar even if in storage. It may be time for us to just disconnect batteries while in storage.
Interesting we have a 275 watt 60 cell panel and a 30 amp MPPT controller.In Phoenix check water once a year. Wonder if your controller is not working properly?Maybe over charging,batteries shot?Lots of good Solar info on this forum. Let us know what you find out! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Good Eagle Solar.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote