Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

I am planning a trip to and from the northeast come summer. On my way back, I plan on coming from Jackson, NJ to visit the Vietnam Memorial wall in DC. I'd like to take The Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Any restrictions I should know of? Suggestions on campground in DC? I will be coming from Jackson, NJ.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Propane restrictions:

CBBT Compressed Gas Regulations

Note that if you head further north, there is a restriction of no propane tanks for the I95 and I895 tunnels under the Patapsco River, you'll need to take the Key Bridge instead, I695.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

Bay Bridge is kinda out of the way, beautiful way to go though. Wind warnings are the biggest thing for the Bay Bridge. Lane restrictions sometimes make the bridge 2 way but that s no big deal. There are no propane restrictions that i know of, and you should be good on height.
Cflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

Most LP restrictions aren't for RVs. They are for larger amounts. RV LP tanks are also DOT rated while large vessels are not. I know I never worry about my LP tanks or them being on.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Propane restrictions:

CBBT Compressed Gas Regulations

Note that if you head further north, there is a restriction of no propane tanks for the I95 and I895 tunnels under the Patapsco River, you'll need to take the Key Bridge instead, I695.
According to that you can have up to two 45 lb tanks or one 60 lb tank across the bay bridge. That allows just about most RV's to cross the bridge "legally".

Earl
Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Most LP restrictions aren't for RVs. They are for larger amounts. RV LP tanks are also DOT rated while large vessels are not. I know I never worry about my LP tanks or them being on.

Earl
I suggest checking out the link I posted. It is for non-commercial vehicles, and the way I read it, no matter the size of the tanks, only two max are permitted, and they would be limited to 45lbs each. That size of tank is bigger than most RVs, but a lot of RVs now have the design to carry three tanks, which would not be permitted:

compressed-gas(For Non-Commercial Vehicles)

Maximum capacity: (a) Not more than two non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual capacity of 105 pounds water capacity or 45 pounds LP-Gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 pounds LP-Gas, or (b) not more than two permanently mounted containers having maximum total capacity of 200 gallons water capacity LP-Gas when used as a motor fuel. Tanks must meet the approved standards of the Department of Transportation and are subject to inspection at toll plaza. They must be properly secured and valves closed while crossing the facility.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
I am planning a trip to and from the northeast come summer. On my way back, I plan on coming from Jackson, NJ to visit the Vietnam Memorial wall in DC. I'd like to take The Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Any restrictions I should know of? Suggestions on campground in DC? I will be coming from Jackson, NJ.
Are you asking about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel or the Bay Bridge near Annapolis?
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
I suggest checking out the link I posted. It is for non-commercial vehicles, and the way I read it, no matter the size of the tanks, only two max are permitted, and they would be limited to 45lbs each. That size of tank is bigger than most RVs, but a lot of RVs now have the design to carry three tanks, which would not be permitted:

compressed-gas(For Non-Commercial Vehicles)

Maximum capacity: (a) Not more than two non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual capacity of 105 pounds water capacity or 45 pounds LP-Gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 pounds LP-Gas, or (b) not more than two permanently mounted containers having maximum total capacity of 200 gallons water capacity LP-Gas when used as a motor fuel. Tanks must meet the approved standards of the Department of Transportation and are subject to inspection at toll plaza. They must be properly secured and valves closed while crossing the facility.
True to a point. Is there a lot of 3 tank RVs? No there isn't. Are most 2 and single tank yes. That's why I didn't say all RV's. Sure some have 3 tanks, but most have two. So I still stand by my original statement. Again, they will be on the lookout for commercial stuff. They also said you could have a single tank up to 60 lbs. So if you want to be "legal" and have a 3 tank system, simply leave the 3rd tank home.

Earl
Old 12-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #9

Highway 301 to highway 50 coming into Annapolis

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Site Team

I think they mean the Bay Bridge near Annapolis via rte 50. On the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel they just ask if your tank valves are off.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Site Team

The believe the OP is asking about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US-50 & US-301) NOT the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13). Here is the link to the website for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge which should answer all your concerns.

Bay Bridge - Maryland Transportation Authority

Tolls for the bridge are only collected when traveling east bound (from Annapolis). West Bound, it's free, so coming from New Jersey splurge a little on your next meal out with the savings. The view of the bay is beautiful on a clear day. I've pulled the TT lots of times over the bridge; as recently as September.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I think they mean the Bay Bridge near Annapolis via rte 50. On the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel they just ask if your tank valves are off.
I've never been asked anything, all the years I've pulled an RV over it, about having my tanks turned off, and with E-ZPass, you don't even stop at a toll booth any more.

My last east bound trip over the bridge was 09/07/2017. I was billed as a class 4 and the charge was $12.00.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I've never been asked anything, all the years I've pulled an RV over it, about having my tanks turned off, and with E-ZPass, you don't even stop at a toll booth any more.

My last east bound trip over the bridge was 09/07/2017. I was billed as a class 4 and the charge was $12.00.
I think you are confusing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge(MD) with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel(VA). Bay Bridge (MD) would not ask about your tanks. The tunnel (VA) charges $26/$28 for a class 4 vehicle and will ask about your tanks.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #14

Bay Bridge is fine, we tow across it at least 2 trips a year, never had a problem about propane or anything else.

Easiest access RV park for DC is Cherry Hill RV park. Its nice, clean and convenient to DC. It is tight and a little pricier, but it has the easiest access to DC.

If you aren't afraid of a little drive I would suggest Patapsco Valley State Park, just south of Baltimore. Beautiful wooded state park off Rt 40. Easy access to Rt 29 or the BW Parkway, approximately 45 minute drive to the Wall from there.

Enjoy the trip, the Wall is amazing and humbling to see. If you have the time, go across the river to Arlington and walk through Arlington National Cemetery. That really puts perspective on the price paid for our freedom.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
I think you are confusing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge(MD) with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel(VA). Bay Bridge (MD) would not ask about your tanks. The tunnel (VA) charges $26/$28 for a class 4 vehicle and will ask about your tanks.
True and I believe you have to stop at a booth when towing on the CBBT, which is when they ask about the tanks. They have always asked me if they are off. Cars can use the EZ pass lane and not stop
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
Nah. I was responding to the post in the quote below, whose quote was included in my post. You must have missed reading it. I know my bridges and have always been asked if my tanks were off when using the CBBT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post

Old 12-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #17

I live in Maryland and travel through the tunnels and across the bridges all the time with my trailer. It's fine.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote