Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
:scratched: Iv'e been driving Dually's as daily drivers since 2005 and never had anything happen to "wheel well cover"(?), fenders, or anything else for that matter. I own a dually because I tow heavy...Guess it's what you get use to.

To the OP, I'd go with a 3500SRW if that'll work for you because you get more payload, GVWR and GCWR, for not much more money, so if you decide one day to tow heavier, you may already have the truck for it.
No ? you can "do it" in a 3500 dually but for people who don't need it, the dually adds an extra dimension to think about. My personal experience [with eyes not ownership] is there are a lot of dually owners who didn't master the wider stance of their 3500. Scratched: if you will but there are a lot more ripped or shattered dually wheel wells out there than there are on single RW vehicles.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
No ? you can "do it" in a 3500 dually but for people who don't need it, the dually adds an extra dimension to think about. My personal experience [with eyes not ownership] is there are a lot of dually owners who didn't master the wider stance of their 3500. Scratched: if you will but there are a lot more ripped or shattered dually wheel wells out there than there are on single RW vehicles.

Didn't say OP needed a dually.. I did recommend maybe a 3500 SRW over 2500 should he decide to go heavier one day. Nothing wrong with that..I disputed your claim of busted fender wells

From personal ownership and also "looking"...I've seen some with messed up FENDERS, but not that many. One shouldn't purchase something they may not be able to drive. Didn't under stand, "is there are a lot ...."
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for all the good posts. Very welcome.

I think that there is a lot to master here, not just potentially dually wheel and wheel wells, but also backing a 5th into a space. Lots of ways to dent or bash things up, including the roof and undercarriage.

Recently did a warranty inspection of a Class A. The owner made a bad left turn at a military base and damaged about 12 feet of the lower driver side, starting about middle and ending back of the rear wheel, by scrapping a cement divider. The cement divider was relatively undamaged but had a bit of new coloring.

Once I have driven a few of these trucks, I plan to be focused on having my wife help me find a 5th, then looking for a truck to pull it. The 5th will basically drive my decision making truck requirements if we go that route. As I may have mentioned Edd505 got me rethinking using a daily driver oriented truck.

We will also rent a Class A for a week or, and maybe a Class C. Maybe try to rent a truck and 5th combo as well.

Alternatively, I will also be looking at used shorter premium DPs and something like a Tiffin Breeze. Will also look at the Pleasure Way Murphy Bed Class B van and the Seneca.

After looking at some Class B's she did say quite clearly that she was willing to accept a wet bathroom. So, that is the kind of critical comments I need from her. Interestingly, she was open to a Volvo semi-hauler, which surprised me.

Can't really say where we will end up as 1) I need my wife's input and she needs some experience and 2) I don't find it very simple or easy to decide as I have a variety of travel options, including overseas.

I'm looking at all of these and the reality is my reaction to all these experiments, including some traveling overseas, will have to sort it out for me. No amount of thinking or emotional thoughts really works.

I really would like to take my Boxer along and the crew cab truck, with the back seat for the dog, seems to have a lot of merit. Will not look forward to boarding the dog if I go overseas some as the dog and I have developed a tight bond in the 2.5 months I have had him - got him as a 2 month pup. Even my wife, who is dog shy, is breaking through her mental dog phobia as Mace has learned not to jump up on her and sits quietly waiting for her to pet him. Quite a challenge for a Boxer to sit quietly, especially at so young an age. Have spent quite a bit of time most days training him.

He is a naturally dominant dog, but not aggressive as to territory, other dogs, etc. They were originally bred in Germany as big game hunting dogs. So not only obedience training, but also an understanding of pack theory and dealing with dominant dogs has been necessary to train him properly.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
So let me ask a couple of questions please.

What's the year range? What are you towing!
I purchased a 2015.5 LTZ Z71 CCSB 2500 duramax
It's my daily driver and the truck is a work horse.
It's max tow (5th wheel is 17500) where as the 3500 SRW was maybe 1000 more than that.
The ride is great and the truck is manageable in every day situations. I can park it darn near anywhere.

Choosing between 2500 vs 3500 srw has nothing to do with what they are rated to tow, it is what they are rated for payload. What does your door sticker say on the 2500? Mine is 4074 payload and my truck is maxed out on accessories and options (it's about as heavy as it could be rolling off the factory line). I would guess your payload is 1000-1300lbs less? That makes a huge difference in deciding what one can "tow"...even though the tow ratings are very close..my pin weight is 3300lbs and rig weighs 16500 loaded...it's the pin weight that gives issues at times
Old 01-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Choosing between 2500 vs 3500 srw has nothing to do with what they are rated to tow, it is what they are rated for payload. What does your door sticker say on the 2500? Mine is 4074 payload and my truck is maxed out on accessories and options (it's about as heavy as it could be rolling off the factory line). I would guess your payload is 1000-1300lbs less? That makes a huge difference in deciding what one can "tow"...even though the tow ratings are very close..my pin weight is 3300lbs and rig weighs 16500 loaded...it's the pin weight that gives issues at times

How much are you guys wanting to tow seriously.
My sticker CCSB SRW 2500 is a about 2600# payload. How much trailer do you all want to lug around. I see a lot of people on this forum using a DRW to tow a pop up.
Sure the SRW 3500 has a higher payload but then again lies the question what are you pulling?

I posted a number of trailers that I have hauled on here that I bet would come in at a great weight than most TT etc that some of you pull? The 2500 did just fine.

Another thing, if you're getting this like most would to be a daily drive because lord knows having a designated tow vehicle only for that purpose is becoming less and less affordable, you don't need a kidney belt (speaking facetiously). The 2500 will do what 90% of what most on here need. If you're looking at a 5er with a rated pin weight of over 2600# then go for the darn 3500 but again I ask the OP what are your plans for towing.

My 5th is an eagle HT 9950 GVW and 1XXX pin weight and people on this forum are saying (I would get a bigger truck) cookoo to say the least.

Hey I suggest everyone go get a class A and buy a semi Hahahahahaha

All joking aside I hope you make a decision that fits what your wanting and needing. Either way your $$$ your decision and I support any direction you go...seriously
Old 01-09-2016, 12:29 AM   #26

Quote:
My sticker CCSB SRW 2500 is a about 2600# payload. How much trailer do you all want to lug around. I see a lot of people on this forum using a DRW to tow a pop up.
Sure the SRW 3500 has a higher payload but then again lies the question what are you pulling?

I posted a number of trailers that I have hauled on here that I bet would come in at a great weight than most TT etc that some of you pull? The 2500 did just fine.

Another thing, if you're getting this like most would to be a daily drive because lord knows having a designated tow vehicle only for that purpose is becoming less and less affordable, you don't need a kidney belt (speaking facetiously). The 2500 will do what 90% of what most on here need. If you're looking at a 5er with a rated pin weight of over 2600# then go for the darn 3500 but again I ask the OP what are your plans for towing.

My 5th is an eagle HT 9950 GVW and 1XXX pin weight and people on this forum are saying (I would get a bigger truck) cookoo to say the least.

All joking aside I hope you make a decision that fits what your wanting and needing. Either way your $$$ your decision and I support any direction you go...seriously

So lets look at your 2600 payload. Your pin weight is probably around 1500-1600 lbs if it's like my Eagle HT that is the same GVW (that's with no water on board). So that leaves 1100. Now what hitch do you have? Slider? If so you're looking at 2-300lbs... so lets take 250. Your down to 850. Carry passengers? I have 3.... there goes 400 more pounds... down to 450 left...
Anything else in the bed? (ie wood...genny etc) take that off....as you can see payload runs out very quickly and your (and mine) 5er is an HT which is lighter than most at that length.

My 2010 Ram 2500 CTD is 2300 lbs payload and fully loaded I'm a bit over that but under the axle rating. That Cummins is heavy. It has about a 1000 penalty on the payload compared to a gasser.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have a 3500 even for my relatively light 5er.
jackofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:15 AM   #27

My Fuzion weighs 16500 when loaded with the rzr in the garage. With rzr pin weight is about 3000, without rzr in garage pin weight is 3300. With family of four, hitch and maybe a little firewood in the bed, that 3300 pin plus the family etc gets to 4K on the truck pretty easily. It adds up quickly. These numbers are with a 2014 ram 3500 srw and 2015 Fuzion 345 chrome.

All that being said, I almost bought a ht fiver...until hooked up to it at dealer. There wasn't enough pin weight to settle my truck much at all. That, combined with the 15 tires and I wouldn't have been able to get enough bed rail clearance and be somewhat level....for my truck, I actually needed a bigger trailer (I didn't want to put a subframe on the trailer). So it just depends on what you have I guess. If I were to do it again, I would get a dually
Old 01-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #28

Quote:

Try to stay calm and not use some of the language you used, it is a bit offensive,

Buying a Class A and a semi doesn't make a lot of sense..

I have truck in my sig to tow the Jayco in my sig which has a 20,000# GVW...Guess you could drop that pin weight in the bed of your truck....but you nor your truck would be happy...I purchased a truck for what I was going to tow with it.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #29

I'm fine really I am.
I asked simply what the OP wants to pull. It's hard to convey what I'm actually meaning through text form.
If your looking at a heavy 5th wheel then yes defiantly go with a 3500. For me and my needs it worked great. I am fully aware of how little things up.
That's all I'm really trying to say. Start a conversation for the OP to look at what the wants and needs are in a trailer is all.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
Lost in the Woods

I agree it is all about what I want to pull.

That will be determined by my wife and our travel/rental experiences leading up to it this year. In fact, yesterday, I decided to throw a few Princess cruises into the mix and plan to spend some time in an ultralite tri plane to see how that fits.

At 65 going on 66, I am preferencing experiences and variety over ownership.

I started this thread because Edd505 suggested I rethink trucks as a daily driver. I have read that at the upper end, say 3500 and dually, that many owners prefer a car as a daily driver to reduce costs. Driving the dually to the store for groceries is seemingly not heavily favored.

So, if I can get by with a 5th towed by a 3500 non-dually that may be a sweet spot for me on the daily driver concept. Otherwise, I would just as soon end up with a mid length dp, towing a jeep/suv that the wife kind of wants as a dual purpose wife vehicle and towable.

What kind of beats it up is the reports of the value of a dually under various circumstances when towing. Never a completely perfect choice.

I will update this thread as I sort through this with the wife. Personally, I really like some of the 5ths out there for livability.

I don't know what we will prefer at the end of this experimentation period. I do know I don't intend to hurry the process as I enjoy a wide variety of things and don't know how it will balance out yet.

I do know the answers to this thread have been helpful and rarely is anything definitive without actual experience.

Actually, it could be fun towing a semi hauler behind a Class A as my daily driver. Probably be an excellent ice breaker and I'm a bit of a crazy guy anyway.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #31
Site Team

Thinking it thru and being sure can certainly save some bucks long term and a load of angst.
Having a big diesel IS an expensive venture if it is only sitting most of the time. My F350 has been a perfect match for my last 2 rigs and hopefully will outlast my needs.
I drive it daily and have avg's 10-11K a year, about half of it towing.

Good luck with the decision process.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #32
Lost in the Woods

By the way, with me, you can use any language you want to. Talking to me is like talking to a brick. Takes a stick or stone to get through to me.

One of my previous posts may have not been written that clearly. I was originally thinking of getting a semi to pull a 5th, or a Class A to pull a jeep/suv.

But, I can see the fun I could have and entertainment I would provide pulling into a private park with a semi pulled by a class A.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #33
Lost in the Woods

I was thrown off a forum, but would have made the same post, if I was offered a do over. I have never been offended by anyone's language, so you could say I'm too much of a brick. (Or you could say some like to put me at the naughty table.)

My background was as a business valuation expert. I survived in court because the opposing attorney could not get my goat, I out researched my opposing experts, and nothing ever said bothered me, I just focused on the issue, and was a straight shooter.

Anyway, this thread has been of great value to me and I appreciate every one of the answers.

As I mentioned, I will provide updates shortly, to keep the thread on subject.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
I was thrown off a forum, but would have made the same post, if I was offered a do over. I have never been offended by anyone's language, so you could say I'm too much of a brick. (Or you could say some like to put me at the naughty table.)

My background was as a business valuation expert. I survived in court because the opposing attorney could not get my goat, I out researched my opposing experts, and nothing ever said bothered me, I just focused on the issue, and was a straight shooter.

Anyway, this thread has been of great value to me and I appreciate every one of the answers.

As I mentioned, I will provide updates shortly, to keep the thread on subject.

Guess it depends on how one was brought up or, like me, am a practicing Christian, and also an Engineer, now Supervisor in a major manufacturing plant....at 65, guess I'm "easily offended" with some of that..I'll get over it....nothing but a thing..I too am very much a straight shooter.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
Old 01-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #35

After reviewing the rules and posting regulations I can see where I may have crossed the line. I will give you all this that I will be respectful and thorough on my posts from here on out. Though I am not one to feel I have offended but if others have felt that way then I will tone it down.

You all still will get the honest opinion from me but I'll word it better.

I too am a Christian, just the man up stairs and I have an understanding lol
Old 01-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #36
Site Team

Ok, now we get back to trucks!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #37

I drive a 3500 hd. It rides decent for the size truck it is. Of course it doesn't ride as good as a regular truck but I like it. It pulls very good! I get about 15 mpg back and forth to work.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #38

Ok so here is another note. Whether 2500-3500 the IFS of the GM trucks ride better IMHO than the competition and for towing all over the place it's a great thing to have.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #39

RodgerS someone does read the posts
Good to do the research before committing. He's my suggestion, look at 5er's find one you like. Get the weight specs and size the truck to the unit. I prefer SRW for two reasons; narrower, two less tires. The dully trucks don't always fit on the lifts for oil changes, I'm sure you can find one, but not all can take the width. I also prefer long bed over short, no sliding hitches which weigh more, no turning issues, long beds have higher weight specs than short and more room. I can and do carry an in bed tool box with the hitch in, a full sheet of plywood with the hitch removed. I drive an extended cab but you can get crew cabs if you plan on carrying many passengers. Two adults fit in the extended cab but there is limited leg room. I think you'll find the diesel pulls better than gas but fuel costs more.
Down side
of these long trucks is they take room to park plan on two end to end spaces or leave the back sticking into drive lanes. Large towns make parking spaces for small vehicles rural towns have large truck populations and plan for the "work" rigs. I live rural and I love my trucks one GM1500 one F250 Super duty haven't owned a car since the mid 80's.
Wore that one out good luck with your endeavors.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
RodgerS someone does read the posts
Good to do the research before committing. He's my suggestion, look at 5er's find one you like. Get the weight specs and size the truck to the unit. I prefer SRW for two reasons; narrower, two less tires. The dully trucks don't always fit on the lifts for oil changes, I'm sure you can find one, but not all can take the width. I also prefer long bed over short, no sliding hitches which weigh more, no turning issues, long beds have higher weight specs than short and more room. I can and do carry an in bed tool box with the hitch in, a full sheet of plywood with the hitch removed. I drive an extended cab but you can get crew cabs if you plan on carrying many passengers. Two adults fit in the extended cab but there is limited leg room. I think you'll find the diesel pulls better than gas but fuel costs more.
Down side
of these long trucks is they take room to park plan on two end to end spaces or leave the back sticking into drive lanes. Large towns make parking spaces for small vehicles rural towns have large truck populations and plan for the "work" rigs. I live rural and I love my trucks one GM1500 one F250 Super duty haven't owned a car since the mid 80's.
Wore that one out good luck with your endeavors.

Agree that to buy the 5er you want, then match the TV to it, would be the way to go...OP needs to remember if he plans on going with a 2500, he'll have to limit weight of 5er he can purchase. If he goes with the 3500SRW, he will be able to go heavier.

Crew cabs do offer more passenger room than extended cabs. As far as your assessment of all the negatives of the rest of it...Diesel may cost a little more, but mpg towing with diesel will be better than the gasser, and more grunt towing in the mountains. At 385HP and 850TQ, I have no issues towing in the mountains,

Oil changes were always done at my dealership on lifts that handle dually's because they sell/sod Dually's..never an issue.

As far as getting around in rural areas in a long bed crew cab dually, I spend almost all my camping in those type areas in the mountains of SC, NC, TN, VA and WV, so your analysis isn't completely correct or accurate. I've been using a long bed, crew cab dually as my daily driver and TV for almost 11 years now and spent some time in very rural areas in states I mentioned. No accidents, no problem parking...and walking doesn't bother me at all..We go everywhere we want to go, even most drive thrus..so I guess it's what you get use to. In fact my 5' 2" wife, (early 60's), also drives the dually and never a problem..This includes driving in towns like Knoxville, Charlotte, Greenville/Spartinsburg, Beckley, and on..

So maybe it's a regional thing?? I see an awfully lot of dually's towing TT's and 5er's, as well as truck campers here on the right coast and no torn up trucks, or bedlam in trying to figure out how to get around....or park their truck

There are positives and negatives with all TV's. As heavy as some of the larger 5er's are, one needs a 1 ton dually to tow safely with...This is a good thing now,,,,just since 2013 have the Big Threes dually's been able to handle much heavier towing...One needed a MDT to tow 5er in my sig....safely, and some even use HDH's for 18K-24K. ( try maneuvering those TV's around your local Wally World or Mickey-D's drive thru. (I can do this easily in my truck)

Not saying OP needs a dually, or a 3500 SRW truck, BUT if he is getting around 16k GVWR, I'd be looking at a 3500 SRW...If he starts getting above 17K and upward, we're talking dually for safety sake...Safety for my family is first and foremost, and a relaxing towing experience is really nice also.. I don't wonder if I "have enough truck to do the job"
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet