Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
So maybe it's a regional thing?? I see an awfully lot of dually's towing TT's and 5er's, as well as truck campers here on the right coast and no torn up trucks, or bedlam in trying to figure out how to get around....or park their truck
OK you are a dually guy [your name gives it away] so I get it. You have never seen a torn up dually [which I doubt] and I've seen several [not most, but some]. I think the OP has heard it all and can make their own decision. We need to agree to disagree on what ever we are disagreeing about.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #42
Lost in the Woods

Op or not, there are usually both positives and negatives.

The mistake, as I see it, is when readers and responders try for absolute answers, and sometimes get emotional about being right or wrong, where all choices appear to be compromises either well matched or ill matched to typically conflicting needs...never perfect and always changing along the way.

Yes, we yearn to be well thought of regarding our responses and choices.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #43

Get a Prius. They pull great
Old 01-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
OK you are a dually guy [your name gives it away] so I get it. You have never seen a torn up dually [which I doubt] and I've seen several [not most, but some]. I think the OP has heard it all and can make their own decision. We need to agree to disagree on what ever we are disagreeing about.

Now your just misquoting me per some kind of agenda. I stated in one of my post, if you read it, that YES, I had seen SOME Dually's with rear fender damage.

I've been towing for over 40 years, NEVER owned a Dually until about 11 years...so a "dually guy"??? YES NOW, but ONLY WHEN I started towing heavier than a 2500 or a 3500 SRW could handle weight safely...that word again...SAFELY.

I don't know what you're disagreeing about when, yet again, in another of my post. I suggested OP go with a 3500SRW, IN CASE, he should go heavier later on...I tend to err to the side of safety and am not, in good conscience, telling someone the can use a truck that they "may" be pushing the limits on...but some go by rule that "everyone does it", or."it works for me"... I go by weights, common sense and using simple math to match the TV to what it's going to tow...Have even been called "the weight police" more than once on several forums, so maybe that is why you disagree:scratched: I'm just trying to be safe and enjoy my towing experience, knowing I have the right truck for the job, and will still continue, at 65 years of age, recommending the right TV for the job to others, whether it's accepted advice or not.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post

A 5th. wheel??

Only posted this to thank you for your service...Marines do say it best, Semper Fi!
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
Old 01-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #46

Chevy Silverado 2500HD vs 3500HD

Quote:
A 5th. wheel??

Only posted this to thank you for your service...Marines do say it best, Semper Fi!

Thanks for the kind words, honestly there is no need to thank me. Would go back in a heart beat.
I just posted the Prius to throw a curve ball in the thread.

I personally do not nor will never own a Prius lol.

And Semper Fidelis
Old 01-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #47

Guess I'll jump into the fray...to the OP, get whatever you are comfortable with and stay within the limits of whatever it is. Better safe than sorry.

I've towed 5ers and TT's with 2500's and DRW 3500's. I'll stay with the DRW's. Towed heavy with both but within the limits of the vehicle. There's 2500's/250's and ton trucks pulling monster trailers up and down the hwy daily. Some look safe. Some don't. Pulling is not a problem for most so called "HD" tow vehicles, but stopping the load in an emergency is another thing. Trailers still jack knife and the end result is not always positive. I've seen 3/4 tons laying on their side with the trailer STILL hooked an I've seen ton truck DRW's on their side with the trailer hooked. There's no way I would hook my current 5er to a 250/2500 knowing what can happen and what I've seen. And even with my ton truck I'm careful because although I'm well within it's limits, I know that it would not take much for the tail to wag the dog.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoAl View Post
Guess I'll jump into the fray...to the OP, get whatever you are comfortable with and stay within the limits of whatever it is. Better safe than sorry.

I've towed 5ers and TT's with 2500's and DRW 3500's. I'll stay with the DRW's. Towed heavy with both but within the limits of the vehicle. There's 2500's/250's and ton trucks pulling monster trailers up and down the hwy daily. Some look safe. Some don't. Pulling is not a problem for most so called "HD" tow vehicles, but stopping the load in an emergency is another thing. Trailers still jack knife and the end result is not always positive. I've seen 3/4 tons laying on their side with the trailer STILL hooked an I've seen ton truck DRW's on their side with the trailer hooked. There's no way I would hook my current 5er to a 250/2500 knowing what can happen and what I've seen. And even with my ton truck I'm careful because although I'm well within it's limits, I know that it would not take much for the tail to wag the dog.

I'm in 100% agreement with you on this... I always think, " In case of an emergency stop or maneuver, will I have the truck that will help me do the best I can to help slow me down, stop, or make a sudden maneuver if I have to. I know the trailer brakes brake the trailer, but one's truck is also helping do this in case of one having to come to a quick stop..Easiest way to describe this is get up to 60 mph, not towing and brake to a stop as quickly as you can...check the distance...now hook up your 5er and do the same test, even with trailer using it's own brakes, you're taking a much longer distance to stop...thus the reason I want enough truck to help me be as safe as I can be.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
Old 01-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #49

Hmmm
Tail wagging the dog comes down to improper loads and improper TV to Trailer combinations.
As you said DRWs are not safe from this either.
I see more semis on their sides that I have SRW vehicles pulling trailers not that's much of a comparison but in all actuality if you're smart you shouldn't have much trouble if any with a SRW.
Experience pays as big of a role as vehicle combination used.
I put more miles on in Iraq with a truck and trailer and you can imagine the emergency stops etc etc that needed to be accomplished. My truck was WAY overloaded but mission accomplishment was the priority.
Experience, knowledge and being humble behind the wheel kept us right side up.

I still full stand by the, don't get more that you need. It's like a new husband and wife buying a 4000 sqr ft house because they may or may not have children in the future. I know a lot of these examples are out there and at the extremes but really look at everything as you have already made it clear you would and decide from there.
Just because some guys are comfortable with a DRW as a daily driver doesn't mean you will be or should be.

I'm thinning about Un-subscribing from this thread because the back and forth gives me a darn headache.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #50
Site Team

We all have opinions and we know that we won't all agree about everything.

I just try and find some common ground and accept the fact that we can disagree about stuff without being disagreeable.

I have owned a dually and a SRW so I have formed my opinion based on many miles of towing both.
I had a blowout (road hazard)on my old dually that blew the rear fender extension completely off the truck. It drove like a tank but that was the technology in 1997. I sold it because of the transmission problems.

My current SRW rides like a dream compared to that one and the later models, no matter which brand are even better.
Both were Long bed, crew cabs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post

In the spirit of this thread, the ?? is do you need 4 prius or 6 prius [hooked up in stagecoach fashion] to handle what ever you might want to tow with your next RV. The 4 prius set up will limit you on payload but to do a 5'er you need a Tacoma behind the line up of prius's.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #52
Site Team

What is the plural of Prius?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #53

Quote:
As far as getting around in rural areas in a long bed crew cab dually, I spend almost all my camping in those type areas in the mountains of SC, NC, TN, VA and WV, so your analysis isn't completely correct or accurate. "
I believe you miss read my post, rural is not the issue. Farm/ranch areas are used to the large trucks, a way of life. Visited a sick brother in Milwaukee years ago and finding extended cab parking was harder, the parking "stalls" are too short. Same with airports, the larger vehicles take more room and they don't allow the extra space. City life, cram as much into as little space as possible ...., why two stalls when we can make 3 for smaller rigs. Rodger has no truck experience and was exploring the possibility of going that way.

My original statement find the 5W you like and size the truck to it, bottom line. Good luck with your research RodgeS safe travels what ever you do.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #54
Lost in the Woods

Priusesuses is the modern simplified plural form. Rodger has no truck, boat, bus, train, rocket, submarine, or airplane drivers seat experience. I do have car, track motorcycle, scuba diving, international travel, ungrateful children, and two divorce experiences.

Unknown to the relevant parties, (very substantial) family funds that might otherwise be used by my "existing immediate heirs s/d for their future purposes when I am gone or still alive" are now fortunately earmarked for other more personal and immediate purposes, and charity,...and I'm in pretty darn good health as is my much younger fun to be with wife, and my will has been prepared, soooooooooo, father is now in the process of cutting loose all ties that bind except for wife and dog.

I'm more naughty than nice and Santa said that is just ok at this time in my life.

Note: my wife weighs less than 110 pounds, despite being as tall as me, so dually's won't be needed for her.

As in GK's post it is all about the proper size of the stick to beat the "thought" to death.

If you are thinking about un-subscribing, please take an aspirin and continue on.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #55

I have to admit as a 3500HD Extcab owner who routinely packs around a large camper that when it comes to finding a parking space for the rig, i will go to the back of the parking lot and usually wind up in the middle of 4 of the tiny city parking spaces. My rig takes up the vast majority of all 4 as i am nearly 23 ft long and wider than a single space. Some may consider this rude, but I have also seen a smart car parked across 2 spaces. (thats rude), This is why iIchoose to park at the edge of the parking lot. I have never had a complaint from anyone, nor do i really care if I get a complaint. I park where I can fit and that is all I can do. I also tow a TT, and that changes my parking situation. I usually avoid taking the TT to the store tho.
to the OP's original post tho, get what you need for what you plan to tow as safely as possible.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #56

We had a 2003 2500HD that we pulled our 321rlts with and never had a problem BUT when we had to replace it in 2012 thanks to a careless driver,I went 3500crew dually and don't see much difference in non loaded ride but sure made a difference towing, won't go back.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #57

RodgerS,

As long as you are referring to a 3500HD in SRW.....no! The size and dimensions are nearly the same. The only difference I am aware of is the load carrying capacity. Especually, if you are talking about GM products.

2 years ago, we bought a GMC Sierra in the Denali package, 1 ton SRW with the Duramax and Alison tranny. This thing rides like a Cadillac. The diesel and Alison make it a work horse when I need it to and plays nice as a daily driver. When not towing, she gets near 21 mpg at highway speeds.

For me, it was a great choice.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #58
Lost in the Woods

I have found out that some of my comments have been deleted, so I plan to write much, much less, if at all, in the future. Cheers lads.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
I have found out that some of my comments have been deleted, so I plan to write much, much less, if at all, in the future. Cheers lads.
Which posts are you referring to in which your comments have been deleted?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #60

Sorry, no recent experience with the 2500 versions/

This is the TV (more in our sig) we chose for pulling our rig;

Reasons are pretty obvious.

It is also MY daily driver and no problems doing the normal things when not hooked up. The ride either hooked up or not is as good as most cars I've driven and certainly better than the wife's Grand Cherokee.

Not sure what the OP is wanting/looking for in a 5th wheel but in our case it was the 3500HD Dually Dura-Max Diesel 6.6/Allison 4X4 Crew Cab long box...no brainer.

Good luck and safe travels when you do get going.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote