Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #31
Site Team

Thinking it thru and being sure can certainly save some bucks long term and a load of angst.
Having a big diesel IS an expensive venture if it is only sitting most of the time. My F350 has been a perfect match for my last 2 rigs and hopefully will outlast my needs.
I drive it daily and have avg's 10-11K a year, about half of it towing.

Good luck with the decision process.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #32
Lost in the Woods

By the way, with me, you can use any language you want to. Talking to me is like talking to a brick. Takes a stick or stone to get through to me.

One of my previous posts may have not been written that clearly. I was originally thinking of getting a semi to pull a 5th, or a Class A to pull a jeep/suv.

But, I can see the fun I could have and entertainment I would provide pulling into a private park with a semi pulled by a class A.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #33
Lost in the Woods

I was thrown off a forum, but would have made the same post, if I was offered a do over. I have never been offended by anyone's language, so you could say I'm too much of a brick. (Or you could say some like to put me at the naughty table.)

My background was as a business valuation expert. I survived in court because the opposing attorney could not get my goat, I out researched my opposing experts, and nothing ever said bothered me, I just focused on the issue, and was a straight shooter.

Anyway, this thread has been of great value to me and I appreciate every one of the answers.

As I mentioned, I will provide updates shortly, to keep the thread on subject.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
I was thrown off a forum, but would have made the same post, if I was offered a do over. I have never been offended by anyone's language, so you could say I'm too much of a brick. (Or you could say some like to put me at the naughty table.)

My background was as a business valuation expert. I survived in court because the opposing attorney could not get my goat, I out researched my opposing experts, and nothing ever said bothered me, I just focused on the issue, and was a straight shooter.

Anyway, this thread has been of great value to me and I appreciate every one of the answers.

As I mentioned, I will provide updates shortly, to keep the thread on subject.

Guess it depends on how one was brought up or, like me, am a practicing Christian, and also an Engineer, now Supervisor in a major manufacturing plant....at 65, guess I'm "easily offended" with some of that..I'll get over it....nothing but a thing..I too am very much a straight shooter.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #35

After reviewing the rules and posting regulations I can see where I may have crossed the line. I will give you all this that I will be respectful and thorough on my posts from here on out. Though I am not one to feel I have offended but if others have felt that way then I will tone it down.

You all still will get the honest opinion from me but I'll word it better.

I too am a Christian, just the man up stairs and I have an understanding lol
Old 01-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #36
Site Team

Ok, now we get back to trucks!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #37

I drive a 3500 hd. It rides decent for the size truck it is. Of course it doesn't ride as good as a regular truck but I like it. It pulls very good! I get about 15 mpg back and forth to work.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #38

Ok so here is another note. Whether 2500-3500 the IFS of the GM trucks ride better IMHO than the competition and for towing all over the place it's a great thing to have.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #39

RodgerS someone does read the posts
Good to do the research before committing. He's my suggestion, look at 5er's find one you like. Get the weight specs and size the truck to the unit. I prefer SRW for two reasons; narrower, two less tires. The dully trucks don't always fit on the lifts for oil changes, I'm sure you can find one, but not all can take the width. I also prefer long bed over short, no sliding hitches which weigh more, no turning issues, long beds have higher weight specs than short and more room. I can and do carry an in bed tool box with the hitch in, a full sheet of plywood with the hitch removed. I drive an extended cab but you can get crew cabs if you plan on carrying many passengers. Two adults fit in the extended cab but there is limited leg room. I think you'll find the diesel pulls better than gas but fuel costs more.
Down side
of these long trucks is they take room to park plan on two end to end spaces or leave the back sticking into drive lanes. Large towns make parking spaces for small vehicles rural towns have large truck populations and plan for the "work" rigs. I live rural and I love my trucks one GM1500 one F250 Super duty haven't owned a car since the mid 80's.
Wore that one out good luck with your endeavors.
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
RodgerS someone does read the posts
Good to do the research before committing. He's my suggestion, look at 5er's find one you like. Get the weight specs and size the truck to the unit. I prefer SRW for two reasons; narrower, two less tires. The dully trucks don't always fit on the lifts for oil changes, I'm sure you can find one, but not all can take the width. I also prefer long bed over short, no sliding hitches which weigh more, no turning issues, long beds have higher weight specs than short and more room. I can and do carry an in bed tool box with the hitch in, a full sheet of plywood with the hitch removed. I drive an extended cab but you can get crew cabs if you plan on carrying many passengers. Two adults fit in the extended cab but there is limited leg room. I think you'll find the diesel pulls better than gas but fuel costs more.
Down side
of these long trucks is they take room to park plan on two end to end spaces or leave the back sticking into drive lanes. Large towns make parking spaces for small vehicles rural towns have large truck populations and plan for the "work" rigs. I live rural and I love my trucks one GM1500 one F250 Super duty haven't owned a car since the mid 80's.
Wore that one out good luck with your endeavors.

Agree that to buy the 5er you want, then match the TV to it, would be the way to go...OP needs to remember if he plans on going with a 2500, he'll have to limit weight of 5er he can purchase. If he goes with the 3500SRW, he will be able to go heavier.

Crew cabs do offer more passenger room than extended cabs. As far as your assessment of all the negatives of the rest of it...Diesel may cost a little more, but mpg towing with diesel will be better than the gasser, and more grunt towing in the mountains. At 385HP and 850TQ, I have no issues towing in the mountains,

Oil changes were always done at my dealership on lifts that handle dually's because they sell/sod Dually's..never an issue.

As far as getting around in rural areas in a long bed crew cab dually, I spend almost all my camping in those type areas in the mountains of SC, NC, TN, VA and WV, so your analysis isn't completely correct or accurate. I've been using a long bed, crew cab dually as my daily driver and TV for almost 11 years now and spent some time in very rural areas in states I mentioned. No accidents, no problem parking...and walking doesn't bother me at all..We go everywhere we want to go, even most drive thrus..so I guess it's what you get use to. In fact my 5' 2" wife, (early 60's), also drives the dually and never a problem..This includes driving in towns like Knoxville, Charlotte, Greenville/Spartinsburg, Beckley, and on..

So maybe it's a regional thing?? I see an awfully lot of dually's towing TT's and 5er's, as well as truck campers here on the right coast and no torn up trucks, or bedlam in trying to figure out how to get around....or park their truck

There are positives and negatives with all TV's. As heavy as some of the larger 5er's are, one needs a 1 ton dually to tow safely with...This is a good thing now,,,,just since 2013 have the Big Threes dually's been able to handle much heavier towing...One needed a MDT to tow 5er in my sig....safely, and some even use HDH's for 18K-24K. ( try maneuvering those TV's around your local Wally World or Mickey-D's drive thru. (I can do this easily in my truck)

Not saying OP needs a dually, or a 3500 SRW truck, BUT if he is getting around 16k GVWR, I'd be looking at a 3500 SRW...If he starts getting above 17K and upward, we're talking dually for safety sake...Safety for my family is first and foremost, and a relaxing towing experience is really nice also.. I don't wonder if I "have enough truck to do the job"

B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote