Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

Chucking / Galloping - what is my first step?

We are experiencing some fore-and-aft movement over the expansion joints of my home state (Michigan).

Pulling under 10K with a cheapie Curt 16K “bar” style hitch in a long bed.

I am considering one of these 3 actions (all nominally $500-$600):
1. B&W 16K Patriot hitch
2. MorRyde rubber pin box
3. Anderson 3200

I know there are a lot of preferences and opinions, but please focus on ride quality, especially over expansion joints. My wife is sensitive to motion and I want to reduce the surging action that I believe the industry calls “chucking”.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

MorRyde would be your best investment.

Earl

Pacbrake exhaust brake
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Ditto on the morryde
Previous 5rh did not have. Same truck same hitch. Night and day on chuck motion

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
TT 2012 Eagle Superlite 315RLDS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

I have the MorRyde and a Reese standard hitch. My wife is also sensitive to motion sickness. Long story short the MorRyde isn't enough alone. I have added the Firestone Air ride system and that has also helped a bit. Now I am looking into a different hitch to help stop more. I have been considering the Anderson.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

I have the AUH and Reese Sidewinder on my 29.5 BHDS. The first time we went over a concrete bridge I thought the truck was going to come apart it bucked so bad. Some of it is just a different feeling than having a TT but itís still a bit rougher than I wanted. Note that this is not chucking due to a sloppy hitch connection.

I put LCI shocks on the trailer and thatís a big help. Much better. I would have done a Morryde rubber pin box but the HTs with a factory Sidewinder have non-standard mounting wings that arenít compatible with the Morryde.

Given your setup, I think the Morryde May eliminate most of your issue. Adding shocks to the trailer may cure any issues that remain (except chucking due to the hitch).
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

I think most of the bucking is caused by the highway. Out West I've not experienced it, but in Illinois and Wisconsin and Minnesota it was horrible. Not all roads but concrete where the slabs are not perfectly level...think it has to do with length of truck and trailer and the uneven highway.. crossing from Mn to SD it stopped immediately and didn't return. You get a harmonic bucking, slowing down helped also.

Good Luck.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #7

Lots of things can change the way a trailer pulls. The morryde will help and I've heard the B&W helps a lot with the chucking. In 2012 I purchased a 4yr year old Keystone with Michelin truck tires that the guy had put on when he purchased the trailer new. Was using a curt Q20 hitch and F-350 dwr. Worst chucking trailer I had ever pulled. My wife had to take meds every time we left to keep from getting car sick. She had never had this problem before. I put a set of air bags on truck but no help. I then put a Moryde hitch on and It help a little but not much. After 4 yrs I decided it was time for new tires due to them being 8yrs old now. I didn't want to pay $1300.00 for the Michelin so I went with a good set of Bridgestone truck tires for $900.00 I never thought about it being the hard tires but most of the chucking was gone and it pulled like a dream. No more meds for wife . Then I sold it at the end of camping season and purchased the 377. Wasted $900.00
Old 05-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Spent maybe 200 bucks on Firestone air bags bolt right on no drilling.With our Ram 3500 dully never add more than 15lbs of air. Been in use since 2006! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxLP Camping 3-18.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I think most of the bucking is caused by the highway. Out West I've not experienced it, but in Illinois and Wisconsin and Minnesota it was horrible. Not all roads but concrete where the slabs are not perfectly level...think it has to do with length of truck and trailer and the uneven highway.. crossing from Mn to SD it stopped immediately and didn't return. You get a harmonic bucking, slowing down helped also.

Good Luck.
Same experience. On certain concrete highways my rig will oscillate like crazy. I either speed up or slow down to correct it. I think it's caused by the rain grooves cut in parts of the road that make the surface wavy but I may be wrong. I've been on roads with the dually I had that did it with no trailer hooked up, luckily my wife was wearing a bra at the time or she'd have complained about the bouncing.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I think most of the bucking is caused by the highway. Out West I've not experienced it, but in Illinois and Wisconsin and Minnesota it was horrible. Not all roads but concrete where the slabs are not perfectly level...think it has to do with length of truck and trailer and the uneven highway..
Yeah, I have been pleased with the ride on 2-lane asphalt. It seems like concrete is where we have the issue.