Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

Chucking / Galloping - what is my first step?

We are experiencing some fore-and-aft movement over the expansion joints of my home state (Michigan).

Pulling under 10K with a cheapie Curt 16K “bar” style hitch in a long bed.

I am considering one of these 3 actions (all nominally $500-$600):
1. B&W 16K Patriot hitch
2. MorRyde rubber pin box
3. Anderson 3200

I know there are a lot of preferences and opinions, but please focus on ride quality, especially over expansion joints. My wife is sensitive to motion and I want to reduce the surging action that I believe the industry calls “chucking”.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

MorRyde would be your best investment.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Ditto on the morryde
Previous 5rh did not have. Same truck same hitch. Night and day on chuck motion

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

I have the MorRyde and a Reese standard hitch. My wife is also sensitive to motion sickness. Long story short the MorRyde isn't enough alone. I have added the Firestone Air ride system and that has also helped a bit. Now I am looking into a different hitch to help stop more. I have been considering the Anderson.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

I have the AUH and Reese Sidewinder on my 29.5 BHDS. The first time we went over a concrete bridge I thought the truck was going to come apart it bucked so bad. Some of it is just a different feeling than having a TT but it’s still a bit rougher than I wanted. Note that this is not chucking due to a sloppy hitch connection.

I put LCI shocks on the trailer and that’s a big help. Much better. I would have done a Morryde rubber pin box but the HTs with a factory Sidewinder have non-standard mounting wings that aren’t compatible with the Morryde.

Given your setup, I think the Morryde May eliminate most of your issue. Adding shocks to the trailer may cure any issues that remain (except chucking due to the hitch).
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

I think most of the bucking is caused by the highway. Out West I've not experienced it, but in Illinois and Wisconsin and Minnesota it was horrible. Not all roads but concrete where the slabs are not perfectly level...think it has to do with length of truck and trailer and the uneven highway.. crossing from Mn to SD it stopped immediately and didn't return. You get a harmonic bucking, slowing down helped also.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #7

Lots of things can change the way a trailer pulls. The morryde will help and I've heard the B&W helps a lot with the chucking. In 2012 I purchased a 4yr year old Keystone with Michelin truck tires that the guy had put on when he purchased the trailer new. Was using a curt Q20 hitch and F-350 dwr. Worst chucking trailer I had ever pulled. My wife had to take meds every time we left to keep from getting car sick. She had never had this problem before. I put a set of air bags on truck but no help. I then put a Moryde hitch on and It help a little but not much. After 4 yrs I decided it was time for new tires due to them being 8yrs old now. I didn't want to pay $1300.00 for the Michelin so I went with a good set of Bridgestone truck tires for $900.00 I never thought about it being the hard tires but most of the chucking was gone and it pulled like a dream. No more meds for wife . Then I sold it at the end of camping season and purchased the 377. Wasted $900.00
Old 05-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Spent maybe 200 bucks on Firestone air bags bolt right on no drilling.With our Ram 3500 dully never add more than 15lbs of air. Been in use since 2006! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxLP Camping 3-18.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I think most of the bucking is caused by the highway. Out West I've not experienced it, but in Illinois and Wisconsin and Minnesota it was horrible. Not all roads but concrete where the slabs are not perfectly level...think it has to do with length of truck and trailer and the uneven highway.. crossing from Mn to SD it stopped immediately and didn't return. You get a harmonic bucking, slowing down helped also.

Good Luck.
Same experience. On certain concrete highways my rig will oscillate like crazy. I either speed up or slow down to correct it. I think it's caused by the rain grooves cut in parts of the road that make the surface wavy but I may be wrong. I've been on roads with the dually I had that did it with no trailer hooked up, luckily my wife was wearing a bra at the time or she'd have complained about the bouncing.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I think most of the bucking is caused by the highway. Out West I've not experienced it, but in Illinois and Wisconsin and Minnesota it was horrible. Not all roads but concrete where the slabs are not perfectly level...think it has to do with length of truck and trailer and the uneven highway..
Yeah, I have been pleased with the ride on 2-lane asphalt. It seems like concrete is where we have the issue.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #11

If you can spend a little more, looks at the Reese 5th Airborne air ride hitch. We put one on our last trailer and it eliminated 90% of the chucking from the trailer. We felt the truck going over the expansion joint in the bridge abutment but nothing from the trailer. Definitely worth the money. Unfortunately I can only compatriot to the stock hitch as I have not towed with the three mentioned.
Ugeesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #12

I have B&W OEM and Morryde pin box and RAM 2500. My wife sleeps when we travel. My neighbor and brother have also been in the truck when traveling and could not believe how smooth the ride was. Travel on Georgia and Alabama asphalt and concrete roads.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
I have the MorRyde and a Reese standard hitch. My wife is also sensitive to motion sickness. Long story short the MorRyde isn't enough alone. I have added the Firestone Air ride system and that has also helped a bit. Now I am looking into a different hitch to help stop more. I have been considering the Anderson.
X2 MorRyde and Firestone Ride Rites with the on board compressor to run level.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
Yeah, I have been pleased with the ride on 2-lane asphalt. It seems like concrete is where we have the issue.
We have that issue in Pennsylvania also. Only on concrete roads, not asphalt.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
We are experiencing some fore-and-aft movement over the expansion joints of my home state (Michigan).

Pulling under 10K with a cheapie Curt 16K “bar” style hitch in a long bed.

I am considering one of these 3 actions (all nominally $500-$600):
1. B&W 16K Patriot hitch
2. MorRyde rubber pin box
3. Anderson 3200

I know there are a lot of preferences and opinions, but please focus on ride quality, especially over expansion joints. My wife is sensitive to motion and I want to reduce the surging action that I believe the industry calls “chucking”.
Besides upgrades, Get some of the wrist bands for motion sickness for your wife. Most drug stores have them & my wife's came from Walmart but that was years ago. I fly & she has motion sickness & after a few times using didnt need them
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #16

And avoid Alaska and the Yukon.. A roller coaster ride is guaranteed because of the discontinuous permafrost.. Where its frozen all is well, where its melted the road slumps.. They are insulating new roads now with long styrofoam strips to alleviate this but its going to be a long time. Dirt roads are less prone to the heaving but have their own set of challenges..ie washboard.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #17

All things being equal the 5th hitch won't make any difference. I've towed the same 5er thats equipped with a Morryde pin box using both the B&W Patriot 16K and an rail mount Andersen. Same exact towing experience as far as chucking goes. I get some on the rougher roads with each.
One thing that helped was I recently traded in my 12 Ram 2500 CTD for an 18 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi thats got the coil suspension. The ride alone on the new 18 is far superior to the 12.
!st thing I would do is replace the OEM shocks on the truck with some quality KYB or Bilsteins. Thats assuming you're running the OEMs.
Next would be some shocks on the 5er.
Then a Moryde pin box if still needed.
I had some chucking when my 5er was new. I replaced the OEM pin box with a MR and it helped some. I've called MR last year to make sure that the MR is working properly. I told them how much movement I was getting on the bottom plate by looking at the dust marks. They said it was all good. They also said that the MR will not relieve all of the chucking. Only about 70-80% of it. So don't look at it as a cure all.
Also make sure you're heavy enough on the pin.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #18

I had the same thing when I picked up the trailer.
The dealer set up the tension.
I adjusted a little less pressure on the bars.
That seem to fix it.
Haven't changed any thing in last 8 years.
Worked for me.
Good luck!!!
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pat View Post
The dealer set up the tension.
I adjusted a little less pressure on the bars.
This thread is about a 5th wheel issue.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #20

B&W Patriot made the world of difference for us.
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote