Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #101

Yes. I went to dealerships in December (I think...maybe January) for my free oil change and no parts were available. I’ll go again in late June for my next free oil change, so hopefully they’ll have them then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #102

Well my lucky streak continues! I scheduled my driving test for next week in Paris, TX and I found out today that it conflicts with something going on next week at work. So I called to cancel next week and I figured I'd try to get my appt back tomorrow in Carrolton. Yea...that's not available any longer! We leave for Disney next Friday for 9 days and I'm in training the month of April in VA. So my new driving test appt is now scheduled for May 7th in Paris, TX. At least I have my learners permit...I swear, I can't make this crap up! At least I've got the written test done and behind me.

Edit: I almost forgot to tell everyone that I found out you have to take you driving test within 3 months of passing the written exam.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #103

When DPS stopped doing the test at all locations it really messed up. CHarlie Foxtrot with a double shot of FUBAR rolled into one.
I took mine in 2012 right here at my small local office
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Well my lucky streak continues! I scheduled my driving test for next week in Paris, TX and I found out today that it conflicts with something going on next week at work. So I called to cancel next week and I figured I'd try to get my appt back tomorrow in Carrolton. Yea...that's not available any longer! We leave for Disney next Friday for 9 days and I'm in training the month of April in VA. So my new driving test appt is now scheduled for May 7th in Paris, TX. At least I have my learners permit...I swear, I can't make this crap up! At least I've got the written test done and behind me.

Edit: I almost forgot to tell everyone that I found out you have to take you driving test within 3 months of passing the written exam.

I have to get this done. Could be a good project while waiting to get my rig back from service. Sorry if this has been answered before but do you need someone with the proper licensing to get it to the dmv for the test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
I have to get this done. Could be a good project while waiting to get my rig back from service. Sorry if this has been answered before but do you need someone with the proper licensing to get it to the dmv for the test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is the question of the day!!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #106

Quote:
That is the question of the day!!
Nobody at the DL office asked me how my truck & rv arrived at the test. This was back in sept of 2012 & any office would do test. I took mine here in my hometown of Gilmer. I didnt do the learner s permit either.
Since the examiners are not LEO most don't care how you got there, IMHO. I live north of Longview & would go with anyone to the test near me if they felt uncomfortable not having the correct DL when arriving for test.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Nobody at the DL office asked me how my truck & rv arrived at the test. This was back in sept of 2012 & any office would do test. I took mine here in my hometown of Gilmer. I didnt do the learner s permit either.
Since the examiners are not LEO most don't care how you got there, IMHO. I live north of Longview & would go with anyone to the test near me if they felt uncomfortable not having the correct DL when arriving for test.
You may have some folks take you up on that, including me, IF we get turned away from taking the test! Thanks for the offer.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #108

When my sons got their CDL’s in Houston they drove themselves down without another driver, no one said anything about it. One of them had gone down several times to practice parallel parking and the tester said that she had seen him practicing and said he didn’t have to parallel park during the test. All CDL test for Houston are apparently given at the DPS office at the beltway and 59 on the southwest side of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #109

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Well yesterday, both the DW and I took the written test in Alpine TX for the class A exempt. I passed, she failed...as she wasn't prepared well. I'll take the blame for that. I'll be helping her study to take it again next week, and we both will take the driving skills test there with our big North Point 377 RLBH on May 15 or 17, on our way to Big Bend NP from volunteering at Ft Davis Mtns state park. Can't be anymore convenient than that! However, the Alpine office is now only open on Tues and Thur, due to budget cuts probably. Our clerk travelled from El Paso and he said so will the examiner who conducts the test.

There are 20 questions on a touch screen and you must get 14 right to pass. Upon the 7th incorrect answer, the test is over and you fail. We maybe had 2 or 3 of the same questions. The computer test I'm told by the clerk has about 50 questions from chapter 14 (see below) and can display each question in a different order so as to not be easily memorized keeping the chance for telling others the answer to a minimum. For example, neither of us had what is the legal intoxication for a CDL driver (.04) as stated earlier by Bookemdanno on this thread. So everyone here, all the questions come from ch 14, so you must study this chapter carefully in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook thoroughly before taking the test.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

Check out this wonderful informative site from Escapees RV Club network that answers pretty much all the questions asked in this thread plus...info pertaining to the driving test and just about any question one may have about what to expect at the DPS office on this subject:
Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs - RV Action Items - Escapees Discussion Forum

I'll try to post my experience next month. Bookemdanno- have you taken your test yet?
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Well yesterday, both the DW and I took the written test in Alpine TX for the class A exempt. I passed, she failed...as she wasn't prepared well. I'll take the blame for that. I'll be helping her study to take it again next week, and we both will take the driving skills test there with our big North Point 377 RLBH on May 15 or 17, on our way to Big Bend NP from volunteering at Ft Davis Mtns state park. Can't be anymore convenient than that! However, the Alpine office is now only open on Tues and Thur, due to budget cuts probably. Our clerk travelled from El Paso and he said so will the examiner who conducts the test.

There are 20 questions on a touch screen and you must get 14 right to pass. Upon the 7th incorrect answer, the test is over and you fail. We maybe had 2 or 3 of the same questions. The computer test I'm told by the clerk has about 50 questions from chapter 14 (see below) and can display each question in a different order so as to not be easily memorized keeping the chance for telling others the answer to a minimum. For example, neither of us had what is the legal intoxication for a CDL driver (.04) as stated earlier by Bookemdanno on this thread. So everyone here, all the questions come from ch 14, so you must study this chapter carefully in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook thoroughly before taking the test.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

Check out this wonderful informative site from Escapees RV Club network that answers pretty much all the questions asked in this thread plus...info pertaining to the driving test and just about any question one may have about what to expect at the DPS office on this subject:

Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs - RV Action Items - Escapees Discussion Forum

I'll try to post my experience next month. Bookemdanno- have you taken your test yet?

Great update! No I haven’t taken mine yet. I’m still in DC for a school. I’m scheduled to take driving test on May 7th out in Paris, TX.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #111

I think everyone should have to study the CDL material. I also think everyone should experience driving a big truck when they learn to drive. At least a box truck. As you all know, with trailers and/or bigger trucks things are different and this is vastly unappreciated by the everyday driver.

With everyday pickup trucks pushing the 1k ft/lbs and 40k lbs GCVW, it's scary to think that anyone can go buy one of these and a giant trailer and jump on the road with no practice. Sounds like Texas has gotten that somewhat under control.

OK, off my soapbox.
Dave.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #112

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Good luck on the test Dan, let us know how you did! I'm sure you'll do well.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:04 AM   #113

When I purchased my Jayco fifth wheel from RV Station in College Station last December, I had to sign a form saying I needed a non commercial Class A license because the towed vehicle (fiver) was over 10K lbs?! Since then, I've read the requirements in the Texas Commercial license handbook which indicates the 10K requirement is conditional if the total GVWR of both vehicles exceed 26K pounds. My Silverado 2500 GVWR is 10K pounds and the fiver is 12K pounds. Hence, I've concluded like those earlier comments on this post that I don't require a Class A TDL. I sure wish the dealer would get on board and cause less confusion. Has anyone had similar experience with dealer purchase?
berkashire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkashire View Post
When I purchased my Jayco fifth wheel from RV Station in College Station last December, I had to sign a form saying I needed a non commercial Class A license because the towed vehicle (fiver) was over 10K lbs?! Since then, I've read the requirements in the Texas Commercial license handbook which indicates the 10K requirement is conditional if the total GVWR of both vehicles exceed 26K pounds. My Silverado 2500 GVWR is 10K pounds and the fiver is 12K pounds. Hence, I've concluded like those earlier comments on this post that I don't require a Class A TDL. I sure wish the dealer would get on board and cause less confusion. Has anyone had similar experience with dealer purchase?
You are correct that with a 2500 A not needed. I went from a 03 2500 to the 3500 dually so had to take the test in 2012.not near the hassle then as all the DL offices gave the test.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #115

Quote:
Great update! No I haven’t taken mine yet. I’m still in DC for a school. I’m scheduled to take driving test on May 7th out in Paris, TX.

Bookemdanno,
You better study harder!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #116

I passed that’s all that matters! [emoji23]

I’m off to high voltage school next week...it never ends!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #117

Lucky Here I guess

Thank you for the post on Texas requirements. It made me look at the GCWR on my 2016 Chevy 2500HD. It is listed as "25,300 lbs", so I just fall under the requirements.
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #118

Quote:
I passed that’s all that matters! [emoji23]

I’m off to high voltage school next week...it never ends!

Dan you better hook up this weekend and practice DRIVING!!
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #119

I’ll try. My plan is to fix the leak this weekend to fill my freshwater tank & take a look at the electrical components on the furnace.
Just waiting on my plane up here in RI to get back home!
Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSD View Post
Thank you for the post on Texas requirements. It made me look at the GCWR on my 2016 Chevy 2500HD. It is listed as "25,300 lbs", so I just fall under the requirements.
By the way .... GCWR means nothing.

GVW + GVW of trailer is what matters.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote