Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #1

Question Cleaning outside of 5er

since I just bought the used 2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS there are some tan dripping stains I would like to remove. What is the best cleaner to get rid of these stains and what would be the best way to clean and wax the outside my used RV?
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

Welcome. I use regular car soap and a soft brush on the smooth sides. Simple green works for the though stains like black streaks or even a spot treatment of bug and tar remover for the real hard ones.

As far as wax there are many out there but a few seem to keep coming to the top of the list as favs. I use the Nu Finish paste and have been very happy with the results. It holds up well and makes it an easy clean through the season with a regular washing. There are numerous threads on this forum about favorite brands and products so maybe a little search will find you one you like.

Do start with the roof though and use Spic and Span granular to get the black off it. This will keep the black streaking down to a bear minimum for a few months. Also while up there check all the seals for any issues or water intrusion.

Enjoy the new to you unit.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Welcome. I use regular car soap and a soft brush on the smooth sides. Simple green works for the though stains like black streaks or even a spot treatment of bug and tar remover for the real hard ones.

As far as wax there are many out there but a few seem to keep coming to the top of the list as favs. I use the Nu Finish paste and have been very happy with the results. It holds up well and makes it an easy clean through the season with a regular washing. There are numerous threads on this forum about favorite brands and products so maybe a little search will find you one you like.

Do start with the roof though and use Spic and Span granular to get the black off it. This will keep the black streaking down to a bear minimum for a few months. Also while up there check all the seals for any issues or water intrusion.

Enjoy the new to you unit.
Thanks for the advicen bud!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Another good stain and black streak remover is LA awesome cleaner. You can find it at the dollar stores. If you find after waxing that it is still not shining enough, check out my thread on restoring with the Zep treatment. Its in the mods section. Good luck
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #5

For the roof I use plan old Dawn dishwashing soap. I have been told it will remove the wax, but I have never checked. For the walls, I use a product called Spray Power, I buy it at Menards for $6.50/gallon. I find it works best full strength. It removes the streaks before I can grab the carwash brush. The bugs on the front cap are also just sliding on down.

As for waxing, well, I hate to admit to it, but I hate to wax. So I am lazy and use one of the Meguiar’s carwash soaps that have a wax integrated into the formula. It works fine, I do tend to wash the HTT about once a month. I found an extendable handle carwash brush that works really nicely on the HTT, so I do not need any ladders, and the job is done quickly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

WD-40 works well for removing stubborn stains also, spray and a little scrubbing with a soft cloth. I'm always careful to wash and rinse the area well after I've used it tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
Another good stain and black streak remover is LA awesome cleaner. You can find it at the dollar stores. If you find after waxing that it is still not shining enough, check out my thread on restoring with the Zep treatment. Its in the mods section. Good luck
Robert
Thanks bud I'll try it. Just saw a video on on youtube looks like it will do the job for only a Dollar!! Can't Beat The Price!!!

Linky:

Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #8

I use wd 40 for stains and the slide seals. And I use Nu Finish wax on the camper and all other vehicles works good for me.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzinfools View Post
I use wd 40 for stains and the slide seals.
Just my 2 cents, but I would caution on the use of WD-40 on the rubber seals. I use pure silicone on them or the seal specific treatment. WD-40 could affect the seals over time due to it's makeup, which no one knows for sure.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #10

Nice video, but after watching the video it is too much work, compared to using Spray Power.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

I'll just mention this because it hasn't been mentioned yet. Greased Lightening is what I use for stubborn spots and black streaks. It's on the shelf at WalMart, inexpensive and beats Simple Green many times over, IMO.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote