Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #1

Cleaning the awning

Just wondering what is the recommend cleaning agent for the underside of the awning? Is there a mildew inhibitor that’s material friendly?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #2

The single best cleaner I've used on the awning is a product made for RVs called Voom.

I made these awning protectors a couple of years ago for winter storage. They work great. They are not fool proof, but the awning does not get nearly as dirty when parked for long periods.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The single best cleaner I've used on the awning is a product made for RVs called Voom.

I made these awning protectors a couple of years ago for winter storage. They work great. They are not fool proof, but the awning does not get nearly as dirty when parked for long periods.
I like that, thank you for sharing!!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

Great idea and thanks for the input
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #5

I've used this before.
https://www.menards.com/main/housewares/cleaning-supplies/project-specific-cleaners/home-armor-reg-instant-mold-and-mildew-stain-remover-32-oz/fg502/p-1444424269621-c-7106.htm?tid=6386141863262635807&ipos=3
It got 95% of all the stains removed. The ones that remain are very faint.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #6

one thing to avoid mildew - never, never roll up your Awning while wet. Do it even once and welcome to the mildew world. Also, after a rain storm,, roll it out and let it dry (bone dry) as soon as you can. It doesn't take too much water for mildew to set in..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
one thing to avoid mildew - never, never roll up your Awning while wet. Do it even once and welcome to the mildew world. Also, after a rain storm,, roll it out and let it dry (bone dry) as soon as you can. It doesn't take too much water for mildew to set in..
Mine gets damp while rolled up in my driveway. Unless it's been 90+ degrees for days an zero rain or even morning dew everytime I unroll it is damp.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Mine gets damp while rolled up in my driveway. Unless it's been 90+ degrees for days an zero rain or even morning dew everytime I unroll it is damp.

Yep mine too. We had it spotless and dry before rolling it up. After some time parked and we unrolled it there was more mildew and growth. Just the nature of the beast. When I go to clean it I spray a cleaner on, get it soaked. Then roll it up wet and leave for 10-15 min. Then unroll it, agitate and rinse, Works well for 98% of what was on there and is good enough for me.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
My trailer is parked under a steel carport. The awning will still get damp, rolled up, under the awning.

I don't think there is any way to avoid the mildew, you just have to clean it if it bothers you. I've heard LA's Totally Awesome cleaner (Dollar Store) will clean it, though I haven't cared enough to try it on mine.

My RV was bought to provide vacations and relaxation. I don't stress and worry over cleaning every square inch of it every trip... that takes away the relaxation.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Yep mine too. We had it spotless and dry before rolling it up. After some time parked and we unrolled it there was more mildew and growth. Just the nature of the beast. When I go to clean it I spray a cleaner on, get it soaked. Then roll it up wet and leave for 10-15 min. Then unroll it, agitate and rinse, Works well for 98% of what was on there and is good enough for me.
I tried the roll up method and I still had to take a brush to it. Maybe I was being anal trying to get every little bit who knows. Maybe it was the Thetford stuff I bought made to clean awnings that didn't work as well without brushing I don't know
Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #11

I mix bleach with Simple Green. I know people say to never use bleach but I've found it's the only thing that will remove mildew and leaf stains--never had a problem. I spray it on, top and bottom and wash with a long handled car washing brush then spray it off with a hose. Don't wear good clothes!