Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Doubleheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Warren
Posts: 244
Cleaning the awning

Just wondering what is the recommend cleaning agent for the underside of the awning? Is there a mildew inhibitor thatís material friendly?
__________________
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2018 Eagle 293RKDS
Doubleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,430
The single best cleaner I've used on the awning is a product made for RVs called Voom.

I made these awning protectors a couple of years ago for winter storage. They work great. They are not fool proof, but the awning does not get nearly as dirty when parked for long periods.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E (sold)
2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2 Z71 Crew Cab (sold, and dearly missed)
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Woodworker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The single best cleaner I've used on the awning is a product made for RVs called Voom.

I made these awning protectors a couple of years ago for winter storage. They work great. They are not fool proof, but the awning does not get nearly as dirty when parked for long periods.
I like that, thank you for sharing!!
__________________
Tight Lines and accurate shots
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Doubleheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Warren
Posts: 244
Great idea and thanks for the input
__________________
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2018 Eagle 293RKDS
Doubleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,733
I've used this before.
https://www.menards.com/main/housewares/cleaning-supplies/project-specific-cleaners/home-armor-reg-instant-mold-and-mildew-stain-remover-32-oz/fg502/p-1444424269621-c-7106.htm?tid=6386141863262635807&ipos=3
It got 95% of all the stains removed. The ones that remain are very faint.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
kirkelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: ridgecrest
Posts: 1,196
one thing to avoid mildew - never, never roll up your Awning while wet. Do it even once and welcome to the mildew world. Also, after a rain storm,, roll it out and let it dry (bone dry) as soon as you can. It doesn't take too much water for mildew to set in..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Woodworker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
one thing to avoid mildew - never, never roll up your Awning while wet. Do it even once and welcome to the mildew world. Also, after a rain storm,, roll it out and let it dry (bone dry) as soon as you can. It doesn't take too much water for mildew to set in..
Mine gets damp while rolled up in my driveway. Unless it's been 90+ degrees for days an zero rain or even morning dew everytime I unroll it is damp.
__________________
Tight Lines and accurate shots
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jim Smyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Somerset
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Mine gets damp while rolled up in my driveway. Unless it's been 90+ degrees for days an zero rain or even morning dew everytime I unroll it is damp.



Yep mine too. We had it spotless and dry before rolling it up. After some time parked and we unrolled it there was more mildew and growth. Just the nature of the beast. When I go to clean it I spray a cleaner on, get it soaked. Then roll it up wet and leave for 10-15 min. Then unroll it, agitate and rinse, Works well for 98% of what was on there and is good enough for me.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
spoon059's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Mine gets damp while rolled up in my driveway. Unless it's been 90+ degrees for days an zero rain or even morning dew everytime I unroll it is damp.
My trailer is parked under a steel carport. The awning will still get damp, rolled up, under the awning.


I don't think there is any way to avoid the mildew, you just have to clean it if it bothers you. I've heard LA's Totally Awesome cleaner (Dollar Store) will clean it, though I haven't cared enough to try it on mine.


My RV was bought to provide vacations and relaxation. I don't stress and worry over cleaning every square inch of it every trip... that takes away the relaxation.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Woodworker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Yep mine too. We had it spotless and dry before rolling it up. After some time parked and we unrolled it there was more mildew and growth. Just the nature of the beast. When I go to clean it I spray a cleaner on, get it soaked. Then roll it up wet and leave for 10-15 min. Then unroll it, agitate and rinse, Works well for 98% of what was on there and is good enough for me.
I tried the roll up method and I still had to take a brush to it. Maybe I was being anal trying to get every little bit who knows. Maybe it was the Thetford stuff I bought made to clean awnings that didn't work as well without brushing I don't know
__________________
Tight Lines and accurate shots
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wheatfield, New York
Posts: 1,069
I mix bleach with Simple Green. I know people say to never use bleach but I've found it's the only thing that will remove mildew and leaf stains--never had a problem. I spray it on, top and bottom and wash with a long handled car washing brush then spray it off with a hose. Don't wear good clothes!
__________________
2009 Jayco Jay Feather 17C 130W Solar, 2021 F150 2.7L Eco Boost, 2021 Toyota Highlander
Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.