Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #1

Cold Weather Camping

Thinking of camping into the start of cold weather. If 5th wheel is already winterized can you still use toilet if you put a gallon or two of anti-freeze down the toilet? Also, can you use your furnace on the propane setting? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #2

If you plan on using it in cold weather, why winterized it? The point of winterizing is to get water out of area where if it freezes it won't expand and damage you plumbing. If you use the toilet won't you have to dewinterize or are you using the bucket system? If you use the bucket system then when you're done camping, all you have to do is dump out black tank and pour some antifreeze down the toilet.
Yes you run your furnace on propane.

mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

It depends on your trailer.

If it is certified for winter then use it. We do. One key is to use the furnace. Some like to use space heaters, but, they do not put heat down where the tanks (and water lines) are located. We use space heaters until it gets down into the 20's, then we go to the furnace.

But, if it is like our old fiver, then no, winterize the water lines. Exposed tanks, exposed water lines. When I stayed in it during cold weather I used the CG showers and had bottled water inside, including the toilet. I could use the sinks and toilet if I put some antifreeze in the tanks.

Be prepared to go through a lot of propane
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

If warmer [hi 30's] during the day and only down to 25 or so at night, not too much to worry about. Colder then you have a choice. Make the system "wet" and use the furnace. If temp get below 20 get out the compressor and blow out the lines. Operate in a "dry" condition and use a gallon jug of water to flush the toilet and a jug of bottled water at the sink. Nothing to worry about just dump some pink into the ptraps when you pack up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #5

Not sure about your Eagle but my North Point is tested safe from zero to 100 degrees. However, I do assist (during below freezing temps) with a small electric room heater. Side note: I do leave the cap off the plumbing drain, because it does extend below the belly of the RV.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie t View Post
Thinking of camping into the start of cold weather. If 5th wheel is already winterized can you still use toilet if you put a gallon or two of anti-freeze down the toilet? Also, can you use your furnace on the propane setting? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
How cold, is winter where you are at?

I have met a number of people that winter camp around Minnesota. They keep the rig winterized. And pour antifreeze down the toilet. They use jugs of water, and dump the water outside.

Propane, you can use it in the winter for heat. However, be aware the colder gets the less the propane will flow. At -40 propane totally stops flowing. At -10F you can notice it on a grill.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie t View Post
Thinking of camping into the start of cold weather.
Yeah - you got to define Cold...

Just about all 'stock' RVs get uncomfortably cold when the weather hits the teens. Yes, you'll run your furnace. Yes, you can pour antifreeze down the toilet.

Yes, you might burn thru a lot of propane.
Some nights, it seemed like our furnace ran every ten minutes.

We'll take our Class C out into the low 20s. But we find a place to plug in and use space heaters, electric blankets and the furnace to make the nights a bit warm.
pconroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
How cold, is winter where you are at?

I have met a number of people that winter camp around Minnesota. They keep the rig winterized. And pour antifreeze down the toilet. They use jugs of water, and dump the water outside.

Propane, you can use it in the winter for heat. However, be aware the colder gets the less the propane will flow. At -40 propane totally stops flowing. At -10F you can notice it on a grill.
In Wisconsin we grill all year long. Propane must be kept in the garage when it get zero or below. We stop camping once the water is shut off in the parks. We start Easter weekend and stop end of October each year then winterize and cover the RV and rap the tires.
2015 Chevy Silverrado 2500
14,000#/1400 Equal-i-zer 4-way sway bars
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #9

We cold camp every year during hunting season. (There's already some snow on the ground). I always winterize the camper, then we use a blue 6 gal. water jug that comes with a faucet and set it by the sink for washing hands, dishes, etc. You can get them at Walmart and elsewhere. For the ****ter . . . we keep a gallon of water (old milk jug) to rinse toidy out. I put car antifreeze in black water tank as well as some sidewalk salt. Might not be advisable . . . but it has worked with no damage to system.
If your propane bottles are exposed to the elements, you might have a problem with the valve not working properly in very cold conditions. Our old bumper pull had such issues. Our 5er has a compartment for the tanks and there has been no problems since. BUT! Make sure and have a spare tank of propane cause you will use a lot more and it always runs out in the middle of the night. Also need to keep batteries charged up cause the furnace fan eats up juice too.
dig4gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

Not sure if car antifreeze harms the rubber seals on the valves. We flush with rv antifreeze in cold weather.

JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote