Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

Compare Jayco to Heartland

I'm looking at Jayco Eagle and Heartland (Bighorn to be specific). I was looking at Cougar but have moved on from there. Anyone with experience with both companies?
farsidefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #2

I can't comment on Jayco yet because my first trip in our new North Point isnt until this weekend....cant wait! However I did just trade in a 2014 Heartland Cyclone. Their customer service was very good. I did have some issues such as the slide in the living room had no wrap or covering around the floor board on the outside so it did warp slightly at the ends from exposure to weather (we fixed), and we had a TV in the garage part that nobody was every able to get working properly (something in the wiring). Really pretty minor stuff. There were things such as trim, door hinges, etc that were also fixed the first year under warranty. Heartland does only have a one year warranty though.
Dober2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #3

The Jayco Eagle and the Bighorn are in 2 different categories as 5'ers go. I would compare the NP or Pinnnacle to the Bighorn to be honest. You'll get a better comparison as both are considered as luxury models by the manufactures
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

We just traded our Heartland Elkridge 5er for a Jayco Seneca... so can't comment on the Jayco 5er's, but we LOVED the Elkridge. Only a few issues with cabinets that we fixed ourselves (hinges were loose). We traveled about 14k miles in 7 years with it, and put it through 7 seasons of college football tailgates... with 30-40 people in attendance at each... it held up GREAT! and the Elkridge is one of their lower priced models (the new ones are also considered "lights"... ours was not)... I've heard nothing but good things about the Bighorns.

The Heartland Owner's Forum is an amazing wealth of knowledge (and one of the reasons we choose the Elkridge) - kinda like the Jayco guys, here!

Heartland has become a Thor company... which makes me sad... but I'm not sure if the Thor mentality has filtered down there, yet. But, I see Jayco is now a Thor company, too... don't we have anti-monopoly rules in this country anymore??
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Always wondered, why no rear bumpers on heartlands? Must be optional or something.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Always wondered, why no rear bumpers on heartlands? Must be optional or something.
Our Heartland-Elkridge had a back bumper (that's where we stored the sewer hose). Our Jayco Seneca does not.

I think it has to do with the pretty formed fiberglass end caps - bumpers would distract from the free-flowing beauty. LOL.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #7

I had a heartland Elkridge before my jayco. The elkridge was nice but the kitchen storage was terrible. Not enough pantry space for a big family. Plus, we had a big rear bunk that took up a lot of square footage that was only used for sleeping. We really had no problems with it, similarly we haven't had many with the jayco either. As stated before, the big horn is more in line with the north point or pinnacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #8

My Jayco isn't really in the class of a Big Horn and we haven't been out yet so I can't really compare.

My In Law's are on their second Heartland Big Horn and had a Montana before that.

The Montana was great. Really little to no issues with it other than a power spike that killed the bedroom TV which I fixed by replacing some caps.

1st Big Horn, they had a lot of problems with. Some of it strange stuff like the shower door latch failed, came open in transit and shattered. Also the Cable TV wasn't wired right. We have full hookups for them and they had to run a cable in through the window because the living room TV had such a poor signal that the cable box couldn't pickup any channels. They bought it in Florida where they spend the winters so it didn't have the cold weather package or insulated windows. Not really a Big Horn fault there but rather how it was equipped. I think they had that unit maybe 2 years then ordered a new one correcting the cold weather package oversight. The AC units would always freeze up on them but they went to the rally and were talking to reps there and they explained how to use them. I think they had them set too cold or not running the fan enough. I also want to say they had some issue with the cabinets breaking.

2nd Big Horn has been better I would say. It doesn't have the TV issue the first had which really caused him the most frustration. He had a problem with power and it turned out to be a loose wire on a circuit breaker. It kept tripping on them. He also had a water pump fail. They also had a problem with the washing machine but that turned out to be something that got left in his pocket and jammed up the washer when it went through the laundry. A loose wire happens and the other stuff not really a Heartland issue.

Largely like with any brand it will come down to dealer network and warranty support. The closest dealer isn't very close so it is a long trip to get work done. I would say they are OK but I would say the reviews on the Jayco dealer which is about 1/4 the distance is much better in terms of reviews.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

Thanks to all of you

As you can tell by my questions I'm a newbie. Never done any Rving before. Excellent insights. I'll try to get better comparables.
farsidefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #10

Heartland vs. Jayco

We have a Heartland Sundance, that will turn into a North Point 387RDFS on Friday (3/28/17). We looked at the Jaycos and Heartlands, both, since we have great luck with the Sundance. While shopping, we found that the Heartland cabinetry was not as sturdy, and the Jayco floor plans were more interesting. Price and size were both comparable.
dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dives2little View Post
We have a Heartland Sundance, that will turn into a North Point 387RDFS on Friday (3/28/17). We looked at the Jaycos and Heartlands, both, since we have great luck with the Sundance. While shopping, we found that the Heartland cabinetry was not as sturdy, and the Jayco floor plans were more interesting. Price and size were both comparable.
The 387 is the one I am most interested in...very nice

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Bigpuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #12

North Point 387rdfs

The layout, features, and storage sold u, plus the finish quality, compared to the Heartlands.
dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
jsk

We bought our 387 for the storage and rear living with the TV in the slide. This allowed us to have a couch I could stretch out on without hanging off. But the thing sure is long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
I'm looking at Jayco Eagle and Heartland (Bighorn to be specific). I was looking at Cougar but have moved on from there. Anyone with experience with both companies?

Our last 5er was a 2014 Heartland Gateway. On the virgin way home from the dealership after the PDI the moulding fell off over the slide. Took it to California 6 months after purchase and the sink fell out of the counter top. It had hydrolic slides and leveling and we loved the leveling due to the power but the slides would not stay in during travel! Basement doors would open almost every day of the trip. Had multiple trips to the dealership to fix all the issues and they were never corrected or couldn't figure out why the issues were occuring. Had the Heartland less than 2 years before buying our Northpoint. The DW and I are soooo happy that we made the switch for the quality difference is huge and although we have have a few issues with our Jayco they were easy fixes
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #15

We were considering the bighorn vs the Eagle. Floor plans were similar and I was leaning toward the bighorn but went with the Jayco due to the 2 year warranty.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote