Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

Condensation build up inside front cap

Has anyone experienced a moisture/water dripping from the front cap after a cold night below freezing? I have had on several occasions water dripping from the two holes where the switches are mounted and the cap above the hitch after a freezing night. I removed the four screws that hold the two front light switches and water ran out. After it warms up during the day, the water stops. Only noticed it after the weather got below freezing. Any suggestions on how to stop or prevent it from happening? I suspect condensation is freezing and then thawing.
Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS in GA.
mikew_photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

On our Eagle I had to remove the shelves in the back of the front closet. Heald in place by 6 screws inside the closet. Had a pin hole leak at the seam between roof and front cap. Fixed that with eternabond.

I had noticed the front closet got really hot in the summer and very cold in cool cold weather.
What I found was the insulation (pink fiberglass) did not get installed properly... It was about a foot short of getting to the bottom of the bubble and sides were not covered. BasicaIly it was a sheet of insulation 3 inch thick by 8 foot wide draped over the front edge of the roof about 5 feet long.. It needed to be like 6.5 feet long and needed to hang wider to do any real good. You could see the backside fiberglass bubble on the sides and bottom. We ended up buying a bundle of batt insulation
Filled the bubble space...like stuffed it full. Made a huge difference on the closet temperature in heat and cold.

YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:57 AM   #3

Check your marker lights on the top of the cap for any leaks. I had same issue and the grommets around the lights were dry rotted and let in moisture.

Magnolia Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply and info. I inspected the closet area today and there doesn't appear a way to access the bubble without taking out the paneling which is stapled in place. I'm going to try your idea of removing the shelves where the washer would go and see if I can access it that way. I'll post when I discover if it's possible without pulling the paneling out.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that and make sure it's sealed. I noticed the dripping on very cold mornings and some days without any rain. By mid day when it warms up, it stops dripping.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #6

I have that problem too. When Iím towing I look in the rear view and see water coming out the hitch trim area.
I only tow in the summer. I never gave it enough thought to check for any problems. I have enough other Jayco problems to think about lol
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewphotos.com View Post
Thanks for the reply and info. I inspected the closet area today and there doesn't appear a way to access the bubble without taking out the paneling which is stapled in place. I'm going to try your idea of removing the shelves where the washer would go and see if I can access it that way. I'll post when I discover if it's possible without pulling the paneling out.
Ours has shelves like a bookcase in the back of the clothes closet.. Thats what I pulled out...
Ours is stored inside a shed so haven't had issue with the marker light gaskets.. Front bubble has been sanded, painted and clearcoated. I have put uv protect ant on the gaskets as well.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #8

Hello to all, I have a Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS .When it’s parked leveled and it rains water collects in the front cap. When I go to hitch height water pours out by the pin box or drips out by the light switches. It’s at the dealership for the second time for this issue. First time it was there they said this happens because the front cap droops when it get old. This was at a little more than a year old at the time, can’t wait to see what they this time. I contacted Jayco Customer Service about it and they were not helpful either.
Case79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case79 View Post
Hello to all, I have a Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS .When itís parked leveled and it rains water collects in the front cap. When I go to hitch height water pours out by the pin box or drips out by the light switches. Itís at the dealership for the second time for this issue. First time it was there they said this happens because the front cap droops when it get old. This was at a little more than a year old at the time, canít wait to see what they this time. I contacted Jayco Customer Service about it and they were not helpful either.
Keep us updated
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote