Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Confused and bewildered - Trying to find a truck

Okay, trying to find a truck to tow a 377rlbh. Trying to find something used, hopefully under 30k and have 3-6 months to find it. I guess I thought finding a truck would be the easy part. Figured if it was a 350/3500 with 6.7L diesel, dually etc.....I'd be fine.

Well, now that I start looking at the towing guides it seems to not be so simple. Guess the towing capacity depends upon year model, engine, transmission, gear ratio, etc., etc. And to make things worse, the ones I find for sale online, typically do not list transmission or gear ratio. Do you just have to contact each seller/dealer and get the info?

It seems as if I see on different forums and websites, individuals listing or in their signature.....a truck towing a 16,000 lb 5th wheel, but when I look it up in the towing guide, I can't even find any model of that year listed for that much weight. Am I over-looking something?

I know a little about a lot......but I know nothing about trucks. Any one able to point me in the right direction of how to go about finding a used truck to tow 16k? Thanks!

kmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #2

well there are a lot of variables. To start the motor is the least of them. All of the big three with diesels have the power,and duallys are most of the time capable depending on the year, but with srw the axle ratio is most of the time in the 3 range which makes it have to grunt more probably to keep pulling too heavy to a minimum. The newer dodge duallys have a ton of towing capability, but you need to look at gvwr and add your trailer weight and what all you will have in truck including occupants and see how it aligns with the gcvw. You can look up the tow rarings on any truck if you have enough info and I would look at the ones you like then look up what the ratings are and go from there. My F250 2011 will tow a max of 14500 on bumper and 15700 in a fifth wheel but I have to add the 8000 pounds the truck weighs and then my family and stuff, say 800 lbs then the weight of the camper 10500 lbs and if I am under the 22500 gcvw I am good ... hope this helps

Old 03-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

OH and it also depends on trim level and double cab or crew cab, 8 ft bed or 6.5 foot bed. All of these change the weight of the truck which changes the amount it can haul
Old 03-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

I tow my 377 with an 06 f350 drw. I can tell you I paid way less than 30k for my truck a year ago. You could pull it with a single rear wheel 1 ton (heck even a 3/4 ton) but you'll be much happier and safer with a dually.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmergen View Post
Okay, trying to find a truck to tow a 377rlbh. Trying to find something used, hopefully under 30k and have 3-6 months to find it. I guess I thought finding a truck would be the easy part. Figured if it was a 350/3500 with 6.7L diesel, dually etc.....I'd be fine.

Well, now that I start looking at the towing guides it seems to not be so simple. Guess the towing capacity depends upon year model, engine, transmission, gear ratio, etc., etc. And to make things worse, the ones I find for sale online, typically do not list transmission or gear ratio. Do you just have to contact each seller/dealer and get the info?

It seems as if I see on different forums and websites, individuals listing or in their signature.....a truck towing a 16,000 lb 5th wheel, but when I look it up in the towing guide, I can't even find any model of that year listed for that much weight. Am I over-looking something?

I know a little about a lot......but I know nothing about trucks. Any one able to point me in the right direction of how to go about finding a used truck to tow 16k? Thanks!
I hear ya brother!
I originally started out looking for a 2007 Tundra to pull a little bit bigger trailer. Then found that the price of 3/4 ton pickups were about the same. That meant I could get a bigger trailer!
Finally decided I wanted a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, used, say 3 years old with 35K-40K miles. These all ended up being in the $30K range. Here in the northwest these large truck hold their value very well!
Then I had to ask myself, "Do I want a truck that someone has towed a 37ft 5ver up mountain grades with the cruise set to 75mph (Yes, you see this all the time) for its whole life."
Oh, and lets not even "think" about the cost to repair one of these monsters, if you end up with someone else's lemon.
I finally just ordered a new one, it ended up being about 15K more than a used one, has full warranty, and I know its history. Plus, since these things hold their value pretty good, I won't lose all that much money, if I sell it later.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Here is a link to the Trailer Life Towing Guides. This should give you the information you need.
Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #7

We tow a 351 RSTS loaded at 16,500lbs with a SRW 2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn crew cab. 6.7 Cummins with the Ausin tranny. I'm legal at 16.5k both gcwr and pin weight. I can't help on truck prices but you should be able to find something.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #8

I tow a 16500 th with 3100-3300 on the pin (depending if rzr is in garage) with 2014 ram 3500 srw. I'm at max combined, truck gvwr and rear axle. 16500 is way upper limit of 3500 srw imo. Fwiw my payload is 4074 per the door sticker and cat scaled several times. Dually is a better fit imo
Old 03-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmergen View Post
... Figured if it was a 350/3500 with 6.7L diesel, dually etc.....I'd be fine.
Any one able to point me in the right direction of how to go about finding a used truck to tow 16k? Thanks!
What you stated your looking for (i.e., 1 Ton w/ Diesel, DRW), you would be fine with any truck (GM, Ford, or Dodge). All would have sufficient capacity and specifications to handle your 377rlbh.
A SRW would even be sufficient, but the DRW would give you more capacity and towing stability.

Spec's may vary from year to year, but not to the level that it would impact the capacity for what you need.

Since you're looking for used, you may want to do some research to see what years to avoid for each type of truck. Each make has their own forums that you can view for info. Do a Google search for "Truck Forms", "Ford Truck Forums", etc. You may find individuals advising to avoid certain years do to issues with engines or other components. I can't help you here, but I'm sure others here on the forum can.

The link Silverado2500HD provided for the Trailer Life Towing Guides is a good one. Make sure you're looking at the 5vr tow ratings and not the conventional tow ratings.

Also, the trucks GCWR, GCWR, and GAWR of the rear axle are important specs to look at. But I can't imagine any 1 Ton Diesel, DRW not providing more then sufficient capacities then you need.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #10

If you can get the vin number from the trucks you are looking at, there are websites that list the specs of that unit.

garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote