Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Confused on stated lengths, 377

New to 5ers, can someone explain the stated lengths below of the 377:

Exterior Travel Length (Pin box to bumper) 41' 8"
Total Exterior Length 43' 2"

What makes up the total additional 1' 6" exterior length beyond the pin box to bumper? When they say pin box, are they referring to the box receiver in the frame, or the tip of the installed box? Is the extra length from the ladder on the back?

And, related question, when a campsite says it is 40' long, best to assume it is *exactly* that long, not "40ish" feet long? I see 40' a lot in state campground specs, didn't know if that was generic...

Todd
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #2
Site Team

It's a crapshoot on the campsites. I find that the stated length is generally on the the conservative side. Many SP's have a length posted for instance 40' and won't let you make a reservation. Mine is 38.5 and when I get there I can park my truck and trailer on the site with plenty and more room. I really don't think there any commonly used guidelines by campgrounds. I would not push it to much and take a chance that it may ruin a trip, unless you have scoped it out and know your rig will get in there no matter what the reservation site shows.

On the rig length info from the mfg, there are lots of leeway they use, sometimes you see conflicting info on different brochures, not way off but differences like a ft or so. I just take a tape measure and make my own measurements. On my rig the front cap of the trailer extends a few inches farther than the pin so what do you use?

Another tip is to measure your truck bed height before you look at a trailer, especially a fifth wheel and then measure the pin height on the rig if it is level. There will be a few inches of squat when it's hanging on your bed.

Sorry for the epistle but I am up early. Got some cooking to do.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:12 AM   #3

Pin box to bumper is from the length from the hitch point to the rear bumper. The total length is from the furthest forward point on the front cap to the rear bumper.

As far as getting into campgrounds it depends on how you look at it. If I know I can easily fit in (I'm just under 41' overall) then I say it's 36' when booking (it's a 361REQS so I claim that number). Many places seem to cut you off at 40'.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

We camp mostly in state parks and always use 40’ as the length of our rig. Some parks are more big rig friendly than others but we’ve not had a problem finding a spot so far. Granted, sometimes those spots aren’t the best sites as far as slope, proximity to bath house, trees, shade, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
We camp mostly in state parks and always use 40’ as the length of our rig. Some parks are more big rig friendly than others but we’ve not had a problem finding a spot so far. Granted, sometimes those spots aren’t the best sites as far as slope, proximity to bath house, trees, shade, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What Tom said. I tell them on the reservation that I'm 40' in length and I haven't had a problem yet..."knock on wood"!