Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

Considering a fifth wheel

Hi everybody, my wife and I have had our Jay Flight for about a year and a half now and we love it! But since she is pretty long (35 ft), she is a handful to pull in a small wind than not I've noticed, even with the sway bar tightened. We've been looking at a fifth wheel and I wanted to know if it's easier to pull than a travel trailer. I've heard that it is, and it's simpler to hook up as well.

I also wanted to get an opinion of a good model that Jayco makes in a fifth wheel. The trailer we have right now is a rear living so it has two hide a beds that are decent but it makes a mess of the living room when we have to unfold them. That being said, we are pondering the idea of a bunkhouse, specifically the Eagle 34.5 BHTS. What are your thoughts?

Should we go for a fifth wheel if it's easier to tow? Or is there something I can do to make my Jay Flight easier to pull in a slight breeze?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

IMO get a better hitch with integrated sway control.

If my max loaded rav4 doesn't move in the wind yours shouldn't either.

Those tighten down types of friction sway bars are pointless IMO

plus it is a lot cheaper then the losses incurred to dump a fairly new unit.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

We have the same trailer and tow it with a Ford Excursion. We do not have any problems with sway in wind. When 18 wheelers pass me by The truck may move 1/4 inch to the left but thats t. I can run down the highway with one hand on the wheel, if I wanted. I think maybe your hitch might be out of wack somehow. One time coming back home we had a side wind about 35-40 mph and the trailer moved a little but not much. Not all over the road. Take the truck and trailer to somebody else and see if they can readjust it. That might be cheaper than buying a new fiver.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSabe07 View Post
snip..... Or is there something I can do to make my Jay Flight easier to pull in a slight breeze?
Shouldn't be experiencing sway with a slight breeze under any circumstances, and the root cause could be a number of possibilities (representative of):

* Underrated WDH, and/or not adjusted correctly (WDH should be rated at 1,400lbs minimum).
* WDH manufactures recommend using (2) manual friction sway control bars when exceeding 26ft TT length, one won't manage a sway event.
* Loaded tongue weight should be 13% to 15% of TT loaded weight on a 35ft TT, anything less sway potential increases.
* TT should tow level, or a little nose down. Nose up and sway potential increases.
* Under inflated TV or TT tires.

The 33RLDS is a heavy and long TT...., IMO a WDH with integrated sway control is highly recommended, like the Reese Strait Line WDH or the Equal-i-zer brand WDH.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:48 AM   #5
Site Team

I agree upgrading to a quality WD system/sway control that is properly adjusted would be the easiest and cheapest fix.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #6

Tongue weight.. best anti sway device out there...
are your weight bars set tight enough..
lastly how fast are you going? ST tires are only rated to 65 mph and going over that can cause all kinds of problems one of them being sway..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 09-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #7

Reading these replies, I am also wondering if I should look into upgrading my hitch setup. The one that the dealer sold us with the TT is probably at the lower end.

Rustic Eagle stated * WDH manufactures recommend using (2) manual friction sway control bars when exceeding 26ft TT length, one won't manage a sway event."

If that is the case then my 30' is in serious need of an upgrade.. I HATE getting on the highway because of the sway.. We have to tighten the 1 sway bar as tight as it will go and then release it when we get to the campground (to make the tight turns).

I have a Ultra-Fab WDH and Husky Towing anti-sway bar. http://www.ultra-fab.com/new_detail....gnum=35-946226

So I guess my question is.. in your opinions should I add a second friction style anti-sway bar on the other side of my hitch or should I upgrade to completely new system.. My biggest problem is spending $1500 + on a new system..

Also, does anyone know if there is a WDH/Anti-sway poll?

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Reading these replies, I am also wondering if I should look into upgrading my hitch setup. The one that the dealer sold us with the TT is probably at the lower end.

Rustic Eagle stated * WDH manufactures recommend using (2) manual friction sway control bars when exceeding 26ft TT length, one won't manage a sway event."

If that is the case then my 30' is in serious need of an upgrade.. I HATE getting on the highway because of the sway.. We have to tighten the 1 sway bar as tight as it will go and then release it when we get to the campground (to make the tight turns).

I have a Ultra-Fab WDH and Husky Towing anti-sway bar. http://www.ultra-fab.com/new_detail....gnum=35-946226

So I guess my question is.. in your opinions should I add a second friction style anti-sway bar on the other side of my hitch or should I upgrade to completely new system.. My biggest problem is spending $1500 + on a new system..

scrap it all and buy an Equal-i-zer hitch. they are not that expensive

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...y-control.html
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSabe07 View Post
Hi everybody, my wife and I have had our Jay Flight for about a year and a half now and we love it! But since she is pretty long (35 ft), she is a handful to pull in a small wind than not I've noticed, even with the sway bar tightened. We've been looking at a fifth wheel and I wanted to know if it's easier to pull than a travel trailer. I've heard that it is, and it's simpler to hook up as well.

I also wanted to get an opinion of a good model that Jayco makes in a fifth wheel. The trailer we have right now is a rear living so it has two hide a beds that are decent but it makes a mess of the living room when we have to unfold them. That being said, we are pondering the idea of a bunkhouse, specifically the Eagle 34.5 BHTS. What are your thoughts?

Should we go for a fifth wheel if it's easier to tow? Or is there something I can do to make my Jay Flight easier to pull in a slight breeze?
I'll go into the 5'er vs TT since it seems you are getting all the right advise on your current WDH setup and quick inexpensive fixes that might sway you to keep your current rig.

The unit you are looking at is nice, but if you are more that 5'11" you are going to hate the foward sleeping area for you and your better half. If your less than that then not an issue. The premiers offer 80" and the Eagles only 72". IMHO they should be the same as those 8" are alot when it comes to taller owners.

As far as towing goes, yes they handle well and do not sway at all. But if you have the right setup on your TT a good argument can be made that it's almost the same and negligible. That being said, hookup is easier for sure on the 5'ers IMHO. Overall length will decrease vs a comparable length TT since you are going over your TV. Turning you will have to adjust to and you also have to consider your clearances both for storage and possibly getting to some of your favorite CG's as you will gain 2ft+.

If your TV is a shortbed then you will need a slide hitch in most cases and these cost more. Other than that it becomes a personal preference on what you want. Bunkhouses are limited in the 5'ers, but rear livers are abundant in layout choices. If you only use the extra beds a few times a year then I would go with the RL and enjoy the added living space.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...highlight=poll
Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #11

We came very close to getting a 5er, but instead settled on the 26RLS TT. For us, the main reason against a 5er was the extra 2 feet of height and extra 2,000 lbs of weight, for about the same floor space. We have the Equalizer hitch, and when properly set-up, there are no sway issues. From time to time, I still find myself wishing for a 5er, then I remind myself of the two negatives above.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #12

nbhybrid,

Thank you so much for your replies.. I think that between the hitch poll, and the link you posted I will go with the Equil-i-zer setup.. Well within budget and maybe I will want to venture more than 20 miles from my home and get on the interstate... I am so tired of white knuckling it every time I get on the highways.. And the DW is tired of jumping out of the passenger door to tighten up the sway bar before we hit the highways and then jumping back out after we exit so we can make sharper turns on the back roads and campgrounds..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
And the DW is tired of jumping out of the passenger door to tighten up the sway bar before we hit the highways and then jumping back out after we exit so we can make sharper turns on the back roads and campgrounds..
yes no unhooking to back up or take sharp turns. Big advantage.

I ordered the Equal-i-zer ball as well just because I am like that. Just like things that are made for each other. I am sure other balls will work just as fine but.... also the installer or you will need a thin walled socket to install the ball as there is little clearance and a regular socket will not fit..

Progressive manufacturing sells the socket as well

Good luck I think you are making the right choice

go to their site and enter your measurements and weights and it will suggest the right hitch. I bought mine from Rv wholesalers because of free quick shipping and price YMMV.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

on edit: make sure you get the E4 and not the cheaper E2.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #14

This Reese system is what I used to use. Worked great for me for many years. Never had any sway issues with my TT.

Mine was actually the 1,200 lb version as I had a little over 1,100 lb tongue weight.

http://www.reesehitches.com/products...800_lbs_,66153

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Old 09-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
This Reese system is what I used to use. Worked great for me for many years. Never had any sway issues with my TT.

Mine was actually the 1,200 lb version as I had a little over 1,100 lb tongue weight.

http://www.reesehitches.com/products...800_lbs_,66153
that is a good hitch. it compares to the Equal-i-zer "E2"....the advantage with the Equal-i-zer "E4" is that like the others it has sway control on the spring bars but it also has additional sway control in the shank.

4 points instead of 2
Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The most effective Reese WDH with integrated sway control is the Reese Strait-Line with the Dual Cam system, which is an up-grade from the Reese SC WDH. I've been using the Reese Dual Cam system on my 8,500lb TT for 8 years now, and it's performed great.

The two main features I like about the Reese system is you can up-grade the spring bars without replacing the whole WDH (I went from 1,200lb bars to 1,500lb bars), and 2nd that the unique Dual Cam design is pro-active in managing sway (works at keeping sway from starting), and re-active as well.

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/we...qrPpp1KSMoYS1U

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66084.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
The most effective Reese WDH with integrated sway control is the Reese Strait-Line with the Dual Cam system, which is an up-grade from the Reese SC WDH. I've been using the Reese Dual Cam system on my 8,500lb TT for 8 years now, and it's performed great.

Bob
Yes that is definitely the better Reese hitch.

I considered it before the Equalizer but in my case where my trailer is so low to the ground the arms were in danger of hitting. Most trailers are considerably higher so it wouldn't be as big an issue.
Also it requires a bit more install with some drilling.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
snip..... in my case where my trailer is so low to the ground the arms were in danger of hitting. Most trailers are considerably higher so it wouldn't be as big an issue.......snip
True......, Trunnion style spring bars are angled downward at the tail, so ground clearance must be considered.

In applications with limited ground clearances the Reese Strait-Line WDH with the "Round" style spring bars would be the better consideration because they run closer and parallel to a trailer's frame.

I have found with the WDH's that I have installed the TT's with the ball coupler welded on top of the TT frame are better suited with Round style spring bar WDH's, and TT's with the ball coupler welded on the bottom of the TT frame are better suited with Trunnion style spring bar WDH's. It should be noted that this generalization doesn't apply to all cases, because each TV/TT combination is different.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #19

As far as the 5er vs TT question goes, yes they are easier to tow. Yes they hookup faster. And they are easier to backup. The pivot point being moved to over the rear axle is great. Also, I am 6'1" and I am very comfortable in the bedroom of my 29.5BHDS. Every unit is different though.

Fifth wheels are heavier and generally more expensive. It's just personal preference. I've had every style trailer but for what we do, our 29.5 is perfect.

As others have said, if your main concern is sway, that should be mostly correctable.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #20

Both Equalizer and Reese Dual Cam are both excellent WDH. I do not think you can go wrong with either. You should not be white knockle driving all the time. Sometimes in special circumstances that is a different story (ex construction zones). It is absolutely critical that the hitch is setup correctly. The only time I had any sway issue with our current setup was with an extremely high head wind and I did not check my tire pressures before leaving and found them about 5 psi low when we got to our destination. I always check tire pressures now as I believe it is critical to good handling.

Best of luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Closed Thread