Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Continuing Slide Out Problems

I know I have posted about this frustrating problem several times now. And several of you have been as mystified as I am why it continues to occur. After all, the slide mechanics are pretty simple and should be able to be easily adjusted. But with each trip, the slide becomes more and more out of whack. The largest gap has been in the picture below, over 3 inches away from the wall at the bottom of the slide. After this, the dealer and Jayco replaced the entire motor and gear mechanism, and the gear pack. I picked it up from the dealer, it worked smoothly there and went out almost the entire way and was within a 1/4 inch flush with the wall. I drove it 300 miles to see our grandson, and it started all over again. 3/4 of an inch gap in new Mexico, then 1.5 inch gap on our arrival home. I have sent these pictures and 2 videos to the dealer, who is once again discussing with Jayco the next move. What in the world is wrong with this rv that this keeps happening? With each trip the slide gets more and more out of alignment.
Attached Thumbnails
20160209_102948_0.jpg  
Old 03-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #2

Are you installing the travel lock when you're towing it?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

probably does not have travel locks. Something is definitely slipping somewhere. Are you traveling really bumpy roads, enough that it would bounce out??? We have a 2014 Eagle 5th wheel and have never experienced any problems with any of the three slides. We also go out every month with it as well so it really gets used. I'm wondering if the adjustment rod is not locked down good when it is adjusted. Seems like something must be turning with all the movement and it is backing out from its adjusted position.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

Only thing I've ever seen do that is a sheered drive shaft pin / bolt or stripped gear teeth. Sheered bolt is pretty instant, gear teeth can do it gradually. However, it's all been replaced. Now I am bumfuzzled big time.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #5

Since the dealer is doing the repair it sure sounds like they keep missing something especially, since like BigJohn said, it's all new.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

I do not use travel lock, and according to Jayco they aren't necessary. I should not have to purchase an after market lock when the manufacturer says it is not a requirement for the slide to function properly. Jayco should be able to make this fifth wheel operate properly. I travel only paved roads, mostly state highways or the interstate. When the drive shaft was replaced, the problem persisted in spite of a couple of teeth being broken on that shaft when it was replaced. They then replaced the gear pack, which they also said was loose. When I picked it up at the dealer, the slide worked smoothly with no popping sound it has when it is out of alignment. But when I arrived at my New Mexico destination, the first slide out hung at the top, then loudly popped, and did not go out all the way. I am beginning to think I got a lemon trailer and the frame or walls of the fifth wheel are not true, which causes the slide to bind and not operate properly.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

With great hope, perhaps the Lippert Industries rep has gotten to the bottom of my slide problems. I received a call from Lippert on Friday of last week. He asked for a picture of the tube on the slide room as it entered the female receiver. I took the picture as he requested and posted it below. He immideately said this is my problem. Notice the "crown" at the top of the receiving tube. That should not be there. And it means that the tube that slides out is crowned, or bent, and when it goes in and out it causes the top of the receiving tube to bend in order to receive it. He said you can adjust the slide a thousand times, but if that tube is not straight, it will continue to get out of alignment. Lippert is sending a rep they have stationed in Texas to repair this problem at my residence.

While they have not actually done the work yet, at least they seem confident they know what the problem is, and that it can be fixed. What a breath of fresh air Lippert has been, after Jayco ignored my initial complaints, then told me they would do nothing more since this was "not an issue" and I basically needed to get over it. The dealer has been great and very upfront that they had never encountered such an issue and did not know where to go from here. And Lippert knew exactly what the problem was the moment they saw a picture. Why did Jayco downplay it, then tell me to pound sand? I had to ask to speak to the head of Jayco Customer Service in order to get a referral to Lippert.
Attached Thumbnails
Tubes.jpg  
Old 03-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Great to see Lippert stepping up. Good luck with the repair. Please keep us posted.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:22 AM   #9

LegalEagle,

I suspected back in the beginning that this was a timing issue. There are a couple reasons that cause it to happen. This is the worst case issue that causes it and I was hoping this was not it. But, I am very glad it has been discovered.

This is Lippert's inboard flush floor system. Don't be surprised if the Lippert tech doing the repair needs to take the underbelly loose in that area to gain access to the gear pack assembly to adjust or, replace it.

Another thing he may be doing is placing a shim inside or, above the head of the plastic wear tab shown in the picture located at the the top of the receiving tube, as you call it. It's technical term is outer tube. The tube with the gear rack welded at the bottom, which is in contact with the gear pack, is called the inner tube.

Never-the-less, any issue with these systems is easily repaired. This is a case were it took a trained eye to find the problem and I am hoping, training is going to happen with a tech from your dealer which, would be very valuable knowledge!

This is the worst case scenario that can happen! Just sorry it happened to you.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #10

Odd of Jayco, and odd of Lippert at the same time. Just glad it's probably going to get fixed. This is actually pretty rare and odd.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

Guess this applies to your inspection and photo...

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vspf...s/pdf/0065.pdf

I guess my question is how does the upper tube section get crowned. Is this welded in place to the RV frame I guess...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #12

Roy, to answer your guestion, the outer tube is welded to the frame. It is done by Lippert during the construction of the frame. The frame is then supplied to Jayco with the slide room mechanism already installed. Atleast, that is the case with these flush floor systems.

As for how the top of the outer tube gets crowned, it has to do with physics and the stresses that are created as that room moves in and out. As the gear pack assemblies are driving the gear rack, it forces the inner tube up. With the natural reaction for the inner tube to lift and the additional weight of the room as the room moves past a certain point....the result can be the crown.

I do think Lippert needs to consider welding a reinforcement strap across the top of the outer tube to prevent or lower the incidence of this happening. Keep in mind, steel quality also plays a part in this issue. And, we all know where most of America's steel comes from, right?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #13

I think Lippert needs to learn how to build a frame period. Even with better steel they'd barely be good enough to hold what they hold. I know, Manf requests a frame at certain specs, Lippert supplies. Sorry, I just don't like a company that has practically monopolized things and still puts out junk. I miss the smaller players.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #14

BigJohnD, I totally understand what you are saying. Thing is, the little guy starts a small business with a product that may or may not compete with Lippert. Lippert comes along and pays the guy heavy money to buy the business and it goes into a circle. Eventually, Lippert puts the small guy out of business because, they can usually produce the product cheaper.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #15

It's why I always admire the ones who won't sell. Compete or not, they take pride in their product. A very small scale example is stuff I build in my shop, or have had built according to my design. Mostly Rv related of course. And on one occasion a few years ago, had the offer to send the prototype to somebody for mass production. Nope. Not in my shop. I take pride in all mods, the things I build Etc Etc, and there is no price for that. Of course I'll always help out most fellow RVers.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #16

LegalEagle,

Any update?
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #17

I'm crossing my fingers.....
I picked the fifth wheel up on Tuesday. The Lippert Rep had been to the dealer and showed them what was wrong. He then welded some shims into the tube that receives the female tube. This works to prevent the female tube from crowning the top of the female tube. The big test was when I arrived home after the 90 mile trip, and the slide worked properly. Moved out quietly, no popping sounds and no lurching of the slide room. And it is flush against the wall. I plan on taking a 350 mile each way trip next month, so it will really be put to the test then. If anyone else has this recurring problem, contact Lippert directly. Jayco's delay in their willingness to do so cost me about 5 180 mile round trips to the dealer with no fixing the problem.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #18

LegalEagle, this is one of the best threads I've read... A problem with horrible results and potentially a lifetime of grief and no one would take you seriously....to a solution that had to go over the heads of Jayco which most people would have never done.
Now here is the proven cure for all to see for who ever might run into the same problem you had. (If they ever find this thread)

I hope my weak brake issue works out like this, as I have my dealer going over Jayco's head right to Lippert.

Although it was a rough road for you, but, congratulations on a job well done!
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #19

In my view, Jayco is not a manufacturer, but an assembler.
Watch all the structural parts that make up your equipment and check that manufacture them.
I have also a problem with my side out and not always adjust after one year.
I have many problems with the floor, it is deformed in some place.

Popsy
2015 Jayco Eagle 27.5 BHS
2015 Sierra 2500HD
popsy225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Glad to hear that your problem is fixed. Would you mind to post a picture of the repaired area. It may help some of the more advanced DIY'S in the future.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote