Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
As Pappyt2, Westray, Christb-24, a few others and myself have mentioned, there are hoses with different suppliers that will fit. (just make sure you get the right one). You screw the hose into the grill where the bottle fits in, don't even remove the regulator from the grill, the other end into the trailer quick connect. no modifications to either, and you can unscrew the hose off the grill (or other 1 lbs bottle equipment) and screw on a small bottle right on. I carry a few 1 lbs in case we wander away from the RV site and want to grill on a picnic. .. just remember as a to turn the gas valve off at the trailer quick disconnect when done. I don't trust those little grills, a small bottle is one thing to leak out if a problem, but to have a large tank hooked up with all that LP all the time. I like cooking with gas, but don't trust it.
The situation you're describing sends the gas through two regulators, right? One at the front of your trailer and one at the grill; doesn't that reduce the flow?
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
The situation you're describing sends the gas through two regulators, right? One at the front of your trailer and one at the grill; doesn't that reduce the flow?

Not necessarily.....It could, if the first restricts the flow too much. ...Think of a each regulator as a dam reducing the amount of water that passes.

If the first regulator reduces the pressure say down to 50 psi, it only lets 50 psi past it, if the second one is set at 50 or less then it is passed thru or reduced more and will work, but if the first is set at 50 and the second needs 75 psi will get thru because the first one limits the whole line and you might not get enough.

(FIY Fire department SCBA tanks and DIVE SCUBA tanks all run 2 regulators, each reducing down more to breathable air).

However I never looked, I figured the second would regulate it if to high and if not enough it wouldn't work.

I've had no problems, Anyone else?
Old 05-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #23

With both regulators on our Weber Q flame was barely visible. Removed one on the grill worked like a champ.But as other member mentioned now your grill is for camper use only! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxLP Camping 3-18.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #24
Site Team

Not really. I modified mine and when not near the rig I just use a 20lb bottle with a regulator at the bottle. Works like a champ.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #25

I removed the regulator on my weber and installed quick connects. I can use a hose to the trailer or use the bottles with the regulator. I put a quick connect on my regulator so I can still use bottles if needed.

Regulator should be removed from the grill. It will cause the grill to not be efficient. The quick connect on the RV has been through a two stage regulator. The one on the grill isn't needed and WILL cause it to not function properly and take longer to heat up and run at lower temps. You do not want to regulate it a 3rd time.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
Not necessarily.....It could, if the first restricts the flow too much. ...Think of a each regulator as a dam reducing the amount of water that passes.

If the first regulator reduces the pressure say down to 50 psi, it only lets 50 psi past it, if the second one is set at 50 or less then it is passed thru or reduced more and will work, but if the first is set at 50 and the second needs 75 psi will get thru because the first one limits the whole line and you might not get enough.

(FIY Fire department SCBA tanks and DIVE SCUBA tanks all run 2 regulators, each reducing down more to breathable air).

However I never looked, I figured the second would regulate it if to high and if not enough it wouldn't work.

I've had no problems, Anyone else?
No, you can't run two regs in series. Has been a while but I'm pretty sure my dive tank connects straight to the main and secondary regs with no other reg in line but I'm not digging it out to check.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
No, you can't run two regs in series. Has been a while but I'm pretty sure my dive tank connects straight to the main and secondary regs with no other reg in line but I'm not digging it out to check.

yes you can..That's exactly what the 2 regs do, if they are set to the same pressure, the second one restricts nothing..........., the pressure in the SCUBA bottles starts about 3000 PSI, the first stage regulator attached to the bottle only allows max 125-150PSI past it to the secondary reg at your mouth, Second stage regulator reg reduces it down to ambient or breathing air. once your tank drops below 150, the first stage regulator does nothing because it's not restricting anything, the second stage still reduces it down to breathing air, that's why you can breath a SCUBA tank dry if you don't watch your pressure.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #28

Convert my grill from the 1lb bottles to a quick connect. What do I need to get?

Picked this up, it doesn’t work well enough. Get very low flame. I’m guessing that my grill requires more gas than my quick connect can supply. The QC says it’s rated for a max of 42,000 or so BTU. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	39696
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #29

My grill is 20k BTU, the QC valve should be plenty, but it’s not. I’ll have to look for a kink or something.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #30

Sry, I've been out of town on a family emergency or I'd see what my grill and its BTU is. (as well as a photo of the set up)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #31

I ended up going to a barbecue supply store and bought a tee that screws on my door side tank with a quick connect on one end to connect my camp chef to.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #32

Been messin' around trying to find parts to do exactly what you did. Great info, Thanks !
B&W Companion Hitch
Westyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
Picked this up, it doesn’t work well enough. Get very low flame. I’m guessing that my grill requires more gas than my quick connect can supply. The QC says it’s rated for a max of 42,000 or so BTU. Attachment 39696
You using the regulator on the grill? If so that's your issue. Remove the regulator.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
Picked this up, it doesn’t work well enough. Get very low flame. I’m guessing that my grill requires more gas than my quick connect can supply. The QC says it’s rated for a max of 42,000 or so BTU. Attachment 39696
There's a reg at the trailer tank and you have a 2nd one in the BBQ. That'll reduce the flow and you won't get the heat you should.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #35

I just bought a hose to hook up my Weber Q2000 to the 20lb bottle. I don't want to have to cook off the back end of my rig nor remove the weber regulator so I just set up wherever I want to. I like that much better. I have plenty of spare 20 lb bottles so just carry one along.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #36

On my 2011 Embark the quick connect on the motorhome (female) is smaller than the male quick connect fitting that supplies my grill. Does anyone know the proper terminology for the available sizes?
Misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
On my 2011 Embark the quick connect on the motorhome (female) is smaller than the male quick connect fitting that supplies my grill. Does anyone know the proper terminology for the available sizes?
On our 2016 Eagle I would have swore mine was the wrong size too.Kept playing with it, and it was a very tight fit but it worked! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Grill.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #38

Thanks for the reply, but, I cried "Uncle" and went the local camping store. Their parts book shows two sizes, so to support the local business, I went ahead and ordered the smaller size (expensive!) from them.
Misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote