Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2023, 06:52 AM   #1

Converting to dual motors

I have a new question. My present 5th wheel has a single motor landing gear and I am wanting to convert it to a dual motor landing gear. I'm good at this type of work, but I am wandering, is there a different in the different repair kits, because I will need to convert my passenger side to accept a motor drive. Do I have to the make of the landing gear or are the just generic?
kestertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Team

They can be offered by many different manufacturers and weight capacities. Look on the motor for a tag or identifying make.

Lippert, Stromberg Carlson, Venture, etc.. I have read about some that have converted them. I would call Etrailer with the make of your front jacks and ask them for advice. You may find some info on their website or You Tube.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #3

My motor it atwood
Old 02-12-2023, 07:35 PM   #4

Etrailer gave me a quote for the parts to convert our Atwood jacks to dual motors about 7 years ago but I went with just doing a 6 pt autulevel system so at one time could be done
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:08 PM   #5

My trailer only weight less then 9000lbs total with a max weight of 11000lbs so I think a 5500lbs motor should work, if not I'll put a larger motor in. It's only two screws that hold that motor on.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:25 PM   #6

Most dual motor lifts have the motor mounted vertically on top of the leg. My 5th wheel (an Eagle HT) does not have enough vertical clearance in the front storage compartment.

If/when I decide to upgrade to a dual motor, I will have to replicate the drive side lift on the follow side, and eliminate the tie bar. I also will need to add in a second lift switch, add and split the lift wiring for a two 30A loads. The remote will no longer be used for extend and retraction

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #7

I found a video on how to do a DIY and you just have to change you pin out to a power drive pin. I can do all of this myself and I'll let you know how it come out.
Also I guess at one time, etrailer did sell a kit for this as well.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestertr View Post
I found a video on how to do a DIY and you just have to change you pin out to a power drive pin. I can do all of this myself and I'll let you know how it come out.
Also I guess at one time, etrailer did sell a kit for this as well.
Please post a link to the video that you found

David

Old 02-17-2023, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_ski View Post
Please post a link to the video that you found

Here is the video I found:

The entire video is 7 parts
Old 02-17-2023, 12:00 PM   #10

The hardest part is replacing the pin, put the reduction gear on, install the motor, wire it. How easy can it get
Old 02-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
The hardest part is replacing the pin, put the reduction gear on, install the motor, wire it. How easy can it get
Other than wrestling out the old and in with the new landing gear, the challenge is routing new power for both the landing gear motors. At least on mine, there is a 20A circuit breaker on the remote control panel that is mounted behind the Jayco command panel.

To run both landing gear motors at the same time will reset the 20A circuit breaker on the remote panel. I have measured the current on the motor and it runs right about 18-20A lifting. Occasionally my circuit breaker will reset when I run the single motor for an extended time. A new circuit with 20A circuit breakers for each motor will need to be run from the main power shut off switch.

David

Old 02-17-2023, 01:27 PM   #12

You might think about routing a circuit straight from the battery with it's own breaker to your landing gear.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
You might think about routing a circuit straight from the battery with it's own breaker to your landing gear.
I have figured out how I want to route my electrical. I will add a bus bar after my add-on main disconnect switch, 30A circuit breakers, and a second landing leg control switch. Now I need to get the new wires routed from the switch to my power area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco Electrical.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	87687

David

Old 04-30-2023, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_ski View Post
I have figured out how I want to route my electrical. I will add a bus bar after my add-on main disconnect switch, 30A circuit breakers, and a second landing leg control switch. Now I need to get the new wires routed from the switch to my power area.

Attachment 87687
David_ski : Have you purchased, or decided where to purchase the new kit system to make this conversion? I have found a Stromberg Carlson kit (Model LG-5) which is the same height as my existing system. I have the 29 1/2" landing gear, which is probably what you have. Like you, I do not have enough vertical clearance above the existing landing gear to use a top-motor conversion.
I found the LG-5 on the Stromberg Carlson website, but haven't found a retail purchase source yet.
Any suggestions?
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
David_ski : Have you purchased, or decided where to purchase the new kit system to make this conversion? I have found a Stromberg Carlson kit (Model LG-5) which is the same height as my existing system. I have the 29 1/2" landing gear, which is probably what you have. Like you, I do not have enough vertical clearance above the existing landing gear to use a top-motor conversion.
I found the LG-5 on the Stromberg Carlson website, but haven't found a retail purchase source yet.
Any suggestions?
That is an interesting kit. However at $499 it seems a little high for the kit. Unless I am missing something. When you look at Stromberg Carlson parts on etrailer Lippert parts pop up as compatible. From etrailer (Amazon has some items cheaper): 29.5″ lead leg ($200), 5,000lb motor ($111), IP rated switch ($35), and gearbox ($68) = $414

I have not yet decided where to purchase landing gear parts. I want to get my wiring completed first.

I still need to figure out compatibility with motors, gearbox, and landing leg mating. There are wide range of prices for the landing gear motors ($110 - $487). It is unclear if they are interchangeable or not. I want get details on the specs for the gearbox for mounting the motor and to the landing leg. I probably need to ask some questions to etrailer on the differences between gearboxes and motors.

David

Old 04-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #16

David, Thanks.
I am communicating with eTrailer now; they contacted Stromberg Carlson for detailed information to put up on their website. They don’t currently stock this kit.
It may well be on the high price side, but I don’t know yet if there are any unique parts that would prevent us from buying individual components to build our own motorized leg for the following jack.
My setup does not have jaycommand, it is the simple switch directly wired with a circuit breaker. I can easily tap another lead and add a second circuit breaker.
I wonder what the actual combined amp draw would be with the two motors sharing the lift load, each would be working less doing half the work.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:45 PM   #17

Quote:
David, Thanks.
I am communicating with eTrailer now; they contacted Stromberg Carlson for detailed information to put up on their website. They don’t currently stock this kit.
It may well be on the high price side, but I don’t know yet if there are any unique parts that would prevent us from buying individual components to build our own motorized leg for the following jack.
My setup does not have jaycommand, it is the simple switch directly wired with a circuit breaker. I can easily tap another lead and add a second circuit breaker.
I wonder what the actual combined amp draw would be with the two motors sharing the lift load, each would be working less doing half the work.
I too have been communicating with eTrailer. I don't have Jaycommand either, but I do have the older remote that can control the lift legs along with the slides. That will be bypassed since I will have 2 switches each on a 30A circuit. I have measured the current on my single motor and I see typically 20-25A. When it starts to struggle it will get to 30A and then thermal circuit breaker will trip. I have to then wait 3-4 minutes to get it to reset and allow it to run for another minute. I repeat the thermal cutoff, wait for it to reset, and then lift until thermal cutoff trips again cycle several times.

Motor/gearbox with lifting leg interchangeability. That was one of my, main questions to eTrailer. I got a initial response, and they needed some more information about my 5th wheel

David

Old 05-01-2023, 11:01 PM   #18

Quote:
David, Thanks.
I had a long email conversation back and forth with eTrailer. Before they could give me conclusive answers, I needed to give them exact part numbers for my existing lifting legs, gearbox, and motor. Since the part numbers are not readable without complete disassembly. The part numbers might still not be readable after disassembly because of the factory black paint over all frame parts. From a Lippert Electric Landing Gear Identification chart, I deduced the landing leg part numbers.
Lead Leg 179013
Follow Leg 179014

From there they were able to recommend a gear box and landing gear motor.

Landing Leg: Item # LC179013 $183.
Gear Box: Item # LC276602 $65.
Landing Gear Motor: Item # LC142178 $399

I asked about the Stromberg Carlson landing gear motor that is $111 vs the Lippert that is $399.

Replacement Motor for Stromberg Carlson Electric Landing Gear - 5,500 lbs
Item # LG-142178 $111

I was told that their information on the Stromberg Carlson claims it to be compatible with the Lippert, however they could not guarantee it to be compatible. That was not the answer that I had expected from eTrailer since they sell both. I would like to order the $111 motor vs the $399 motor that are spec'd the same. I also would like to order from eTrailer since they helped me navigate through the parts selection, but no guarantee from them unless I buy the $399 motor.

Final takeaway. These parts are also all available on Amazon, and all have a free return policy. I can order from Amazon, dry fit everything together, and make sure everything mates correctly before assembly.

ccd_0002050-Identification.pdf

David

Old 05-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #19

I figured out how my wiring needed to get routed from the dual switches to the motors. The factory routing traversed through a vertical stud. I am unable to add additional wires to the new switch and motor following the existing wire channel. The wire new routing will snake through the propane bay from the switch bulkhead to the motors in the front garage space.

I decided that I did not need to order a new lead landing leg. I can convert my follower leg to a lead leg using the "Lippert 146059 Venture Lead Landing Gear Leg Repair Kit".

I will only need to order a new motor and a gearbox along with the repair kit.
* Lippert 146059 Venture Lead Landing Gear Leg Repair Kit: $45
* Stromberg Carlson LG-142178 Venture Standard LG Motor - 5000lb Landing Gear Motor: $111
* Lippert 276602 Venture Fifth Wheel Landing Gear Box Aluminum: $64

$220 for the leg kit/gearbox/motor + $35 for additional landing gear switch + fuses & wire.

David

Old 05-06-2023, 11:28 AM   #20

David,
Were you able to determine the total Amp draw when both motors are lifting together compared the Amp draw with the single motor when it is lifting both legs together as was the original factory set-up? Though not an electrical engineer, I think both motors lifting the same weight would be only a small amount more than the single motor.
I'd love to know from someone who has made this conversion, or from someone who knows the draw from two motors each lifting half the weight.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels