Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Convertor making high pitched noise

Just pulled into campground. Got everything settled and stayed at camper for a couple hours. Went to dinner and came back to a whining convertor. I can turn it off and it stops, back on and the noise is back. Anyone have any suggestions.

This noise might drive me crazy!!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #2

I'm no electrician but in my experience if there is a whine coming from something electric that is not a motor, it is not a good thing. I'd get it checked as soon as possible.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Your converter needs to be changed out and hopefully under warranty. I had mine done several years ago due to the same pitch. The lower to draw the lower the pitch and vice versa.

Best to let the dealer know now and make an appointment so the parts are there when you arrive.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Your converter needs to be changed out and hopefully under warranty. I had mine done several years ago due to the same pitch. The lower to draw the lower the pitch and vice versa.

Best to let the dealer know now and make an appointment so the parts are there when you arrive.
It has not made a sound this morning. I turned it off via the breaker for a couple hours last night. Turned it back on when we went to bed and no noise. No noise so far this morning.
I had a thought, could it be starving for power from the campground pedestal???
I do not have an ems but think that is my next purchase!!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

Mine will occasionally make a hissing noise and the dealer said that is normal. Mine almost sounds like running water and don't know if that is what you're hearing?
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

Hmmm... Ours has done this since day 1. I thought it was normal from the converter cooling fan turning on when there was a high 12v load and the trailer was plugged into campground power.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

Mine makes that high pitch sound also, but at first I thought it was my tennitus.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

I had zero 12v load last night when we returned. Turned on one light, still same noise. Turned on all lights for 10 minutes and the noise never changed.
This is not a bad fan.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

It's in the transformer or circuitry of the converter and when under load it changes pitch. The stronger the draw the higher the squeal. The unit has 4 total modes it charges/de-sulfur in and as the battery or demand requires it will cycle through these and adjust accordingly. Float being the lowest draw mode and lowest squeal.

You need to replace the guts of the converter, which is inside the breaker panel. It is not the cooling fan going or making that noise. That squeal is torture IMHO.

Call your servicing dealer and tell them what is going on ahead of your arrival. Jayco even too, so you can get a service ticket going and parts shipped in. You could wait 2-4 weeks for parts.

If within the 1 year then Coach net is a good option for mobile service, but start with Jayco to avoid delays.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
It's in the transformer or circuitry of the converter and when under load it changes pitch. The stronger the draw the higher the squeal. The unit has 4 total modes it charges/de-sulfur in and as the battery or demand requires it will cycle through these and adjust accordingly. Float being the lowest draw mode and lowest squeal.

You need to replace the guts of the converter, which is inside the breaker panel. It is not the cooling fan going or making that noise. That squeal is torture IMHO.

Call your servicing dealer and tell them what is going on ahead of your arrival. Jayco even too, so you can get a service ticket going and parts shipped in. You could wait 2-4 weeks for parts.

If within the 1 year then Coach net is a good option for mobile service, but start with Jayco to avoid delays.
We are still camping and the noise has not returned.
Thanks for the response....that is what I was thinking it was after looking around on the internet. The unit is only 1 month old.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

Make sure that the noise is not the cooling fan first. Whirring rather than whining.

Some noise (400Hz) from the converter when under load (recharging the battery) is normal.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote