Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Cotton Picking LCI landing gear

Just went to pick up our Northpoint at our local dealer after getting some plumbing issues fixed from our trip to Disney. Took out my remote control and started raising the landing gear to hook up and got the dreaded "error RF". I've seen it many times in the past and sometimes not even on the front landing gear when I'm not using the rear gear to hook up! I retracted it a few inches and started raising it again and KABOOM. Right front leg collasped and the camper shook violently. The service manager and I checked and the pin is set and intact but now the motor turns and nothing happens. I'm glad it happened at the dealer for if it happened at home or RV park I would not be able to hook up to get it to a dealer. Hopefully they find something that is easy to fix. Thakfully it did not hit our truck and didn't roll onto anything but still furious with these pidly underpowered gears and leveling system that Jayco puts on these big units.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #2

We had a real heavy toy hauler, replaced front land gear all the time.In our camper there was a pin on the drive which raises and low the jack.Those threaded shafts would strip or the pin to the drive motor would shear off.Knock on wood are 16 Eagle 321 RSTS jacks are OK!This seems to be an on going problem with Jayco big fivers. In the Sesimac sp the front pins are shearing off a lot. Some ones going to eventually get killed.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

Boy does that sound familiar. I had the exact thing happen to me. My door side leg “broke” and the trailer came down just like yours. Unfortunately for me, I was at a CG. Ended up buying a new leg, now everything works great.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

RV Dealer just called and told me that the leg is shot and need a new one. $350 for the leg, $75 shipping and their time will make it over $500
Old 04-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #5

Cotton Picking LCI landing gear

Kahoneys

I paid the same price but no shipping charge as my dealer tries to stock those. I changed it out myself. Not really hard to do but be prepared to cut off the bolts because the legs were installed before the fiberglass and they can’t be removed after you’ve loosened the nut.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Boy....I can’t wait.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

In the spirit of preparing for what sounds inevitable on my '18 Seismic, is there any guidance on what landing gear parts to keep on-hand should this happen at a CG? I don't mind doing the work myself, just interested in getting back up and running ASAP if this happens.
Jdmcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmcla View Post
In the spirit of preparing for what sounds inevitable on my '18 Seismic, is there any guidance on what landing gear parts to keep on-hand should this happen at a CG? I don't mind doing the work myself, just interested in getting back up and running ASAP if this happens.

I replaced mine myself. The new leg comes with a motor. (Mine was separate and I needed to salvage the bolts holding the motor onto the leg from the original—yes, that’s kinda cheap on LCI to not include it or have it already assembled). So basically just have a leg assembly on hand (and an extra pin as you need to reuse the old one) and you’ll have everything needed.

My original motor was good so I put the new motor away for a rainy day. As far as the install goes, if you look at the bolts that attach the leg to the frame, there’s no way to remove them in one piece because they were installed prior to the fiberglass body. So, you’ll need to cut them off and replace them with new ones. The new ones will be inserted on the rearward side with the nut on the forward side. From the factory it was done the opposite way.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

We just picked up our 2018 North Point 315RLTS last Friday. While we were going through the orientation, One of the servicemen was operating the front landing gear with the One Control app on his phone and the spring loaded pin on the left sheared off causing one hell of a scare. It appears the pin was defective in as much that it was barely making contact with the hole it protrudes through putting an uneven load on it...........looked like it was cut with a bolt cutter!! The great part about it all is that it happened at the dealership!!!!!
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

I am now wondering if I called Jayco if this may get some warrenty coverage?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
This happen at the dealer correct. Why isn't the dealer contacting Jayco on your behalf to get them to cover it? They have the pull and relationship at Jayco to get it covered.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
If it's still within the 2 year warranty period I would think that it would be covered. Worth a try! Also if you had not yet driven off with it, technically it was still in their possession when it happened...........sounds like a no brainer that they should have picked up the tab.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #13

Over the last couple of years we have read about a lot of those landing gear pins shearing off. But nothing ever from JAYCO!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Over the last couple of years we have read about a lot of those landing gear pins shearing off. But nothing ever from JAYCO!
Anyone know the part number or resource for the landing gear pin assembly. The dealer did not have one in stock so they had to steal one off another rig. It would be nice to carry one.........very easy to install and probably not that expensive.
Just found a source: https://store.lci1.com/385-bolt-on-pull-pin
Old 04-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #15

Hmmm. Brought my rig home last week after getting the DS front landing gear replaced and parked the RV next to our garage. Went to pull it out this afternoon to give it a nice soapy bath and KABOOM the ODS one went! Why did they both break? the ODS one only got one lift and lower cycle more than the DS one. I am not going to be able to keep replacing these. I want and need to go hydraulic and get rid of these undersized underpowered jacks.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
These problems with the LCI system is why when we upgraded to an auto level system went hydraulic.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote