Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

Covered Bicycles hide my Pinnacles License Plate

I love that the Pinnacle has the 2 inch hitch. We have used it to mount a bicycle carrier and have thoroughly enjoyed using it.

I never gave it any thought ( although I should have) that when I covered our bikes when the weather was bad, the cover hid the license plate.

On a recent visit to Canada while crossing the border, this was brought to my attention.

I also think that the law enforcement would have an issue with me having my license plate covered up as well.

So my question is, has anyone relocated their license plate at the back of their pinnacle and if so, where did they put it? Is there any legal requirements that must be met in the mounting of the license plate?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

Do you have a ladder and could it be mounted there with something as simple as cable ties?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Do you have a ladder and could it be mounted there with something as simple as cable ties?
That is a good idea. I have done some research and it must be secure (not moving), at least 12 inches off the ground and be lit at night.

So some kind of mount to the ladder could work for day. I wonder if I could add some solar lights to light it during night time driving.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

Not sure what rack you are using, but some racks (and most cargo racks I have seen) have license plate mounts on them for just this purpose. You can add a light wired to the trailer pigtail socket for nighttime use, if not already available with the rack.

Of course the downside of this is that the plate has to be moved back to the vehicle if the rack is removed.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #5

We carry our bicycles that way also but do not cover them. License plate is visible but not very well. Have never worried about it. In fact we went over a toll bridge last year that had cameras and would send you a bill for the toll. Never received one. Guess the camera couldn't read the plate.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Not sure what rack you are using, but some racks (and most cargo racks I have seen) have license plate mounts on them for just this purpose. You can add a light wired to the trailer pigtail socket for nighttime use, if not already available with the rack.

Of course the downside of this is that the plate has to be moved back to the vehicle if the rack is removed.
Yea, I have seen cargo racks with that set up unfortunately our bike rack doesn't have anything like that.

Tricky to mount it to our ladder but I would like to figure out a way while still being able to use the ladder.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharris205 View Post
We carry our bicycles that way also but do not cover them. License plate is visible but not very well. Have never worried about it. In fact we went over a toll bridge last year that had cameras and would send you a bill for the toll. Never received one. Guess the camera couldn't read the plate.
I have been running like this for 2.5 years with this trailer and a year with our Eagle. I know it will be only a matter of time until it bites in the butt. Want to do something about before it does.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #8

I really think you got a 90 want-a-be. If it was me I'd keep doing what ever your doing. If a RV'er is doing something that would put others in danger I'd believe that they would get pulled over. Sounds like the guy at the border didn't have his coffee yet. I wouldn't change a damn thing, but that's only my opinion. You do what you think you need to. Happy travels, criminal... LoL
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb-24 View Post
I really think you got a 90 want-a-be. If it was me I'd keep doing what ever your doing. If a RV'er is doing something that would put others in danger I'd believe that they would get pulled over. Sounds like the guy at the border didn't have his coffee yet. I wouldn't change a damn thing, but that's only my opinion. You do what you think you need to. Happy travels, criminal... LoL
Border guards are the last people in the world I'd want to piss off, north or south of the 49th. For no reason at all they can choose to do a complete teardown of you and your vehicles. Been there and wasted the time.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb-24 View Post
Sounds like the guy at the border didn't have his coffee yet.
The guy does his job and gets snarky comments from you? Nice...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

For anyone who is interested in what I came up with to solve my "license plate covered by bikes" problem, here is a photo of my license plate relocation.

I am using a solar light to light the license plate at night. Sorry about the orientation, when I rotated it, it wouldn't save it.
Attached Thumbnails
LicensePlateRelocated4.jpg  

Tags
license plate holder, pinnacle 36 fbts