Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #1

covers for RV's

I am wondering if I should use a cover on my RV or is its use a ploy to sell covers?

I see HUNDREDS of RV's with snow on them during the winter and they don't have covers. Aren't these things designed for outdoors? I get it with UV, wind, etc but is it really necessary to cover them? My 2020 JayCo Pinnacle roof is top of the line and the factory paint coating a wax job I put on it should give some protection you would think. And yes, I cover my tires! I might add that the rig is in Eastern Washington.

I can foresee this thread going 50/50 but do chime in, I am curious for some opinions. Thanks.
Winnabego Adventurer
Coachman Mirada
Jayco Pinnacle 5W
Motorhommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
CAG

Like you said some like them some don't. My thought is that moisture gets trapped under them, the wind blows them around causing wear marks is certain areas and they are a pain to get on and off. I see few around this part of the country and this is an area where UV does a lot of damage. A good coat of Rejex every 6 months will go along ways in preventing that problem.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhommie View Post
I am wondering if I should use a cover on my RV or is its use a ploy to sell covers?

I see HUNDREDS of RV's with snow on them during the winter and they don't have covers. Aren't these things designed for outdoors? I get it with UV, wind, etc but is it really necessary to cover them? My 2020 JayCo Pinnacle roof is top of the line and the factory paint coating a wax job I put on it should give some protection you would think. And yes, I cover my tires!

I can foresee this thread going 50/50 but do chime in, I am curious for some opinions. Thanks.
Usually my RV sits under trees in the fall and gets covered with leaves and needs a good washing in the spring. Last fall it was in Arizona in the fall...no leaves...and much cleaner right now after spending the winter under leafless trees.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #4

I had a cover for my last trailer. Because they’re so big it was a pain to get on and off. To me it was more of a hassle than it was worth. And they’re not cheap either.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Like you said some like them some don't. My thought is that moisture gets trapped under them, the wind blows them around causing wear marks is certain areas and they are a pain to get on and off. I see few around this part of the country and this is an area where UV does a lot of damage. A good coat of Rejex every 6 months will go along ways in preventing that problem.
Actually, moisture doesn't get trapped under them, because the A/C units and vents on the roof hold the cover up, allowing circulation. Plus, there are vent panels down the sides that allows air to get in and circulate.

Most covers have adjusting straps, and when adjusted correctly, the cover doesn't blow around, and stays nice and snug.

Third, my cover was easy to put on, I did it by myself, and I'm no spring chicken. There's an easy process how to roll it up and deploy the cover.

Fourth, I put the cover on to protect my custom vinyl wrap from UV damage over the Winter. Many people use covers for the same reason, to protect the decals on their rigs from UV over the Winter.

Lastly, people wash their rigs in the Fall, put on their covers, and when they take the covers off in the Spring, the rig is as clean as it was in the Fall. No exterior cleaning is needed to get all the Winter crap off of the rig.

So, in synopsis, covers are definitely worth it.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Actually, moisture doesn't get trapped under them, because the A/C units and vents on the roof hold the cover up, allowing circulation. Plus, there are vent panels down the sides that allows air to get in and circulate.

Most covers have adjusting straps, and when adjusted correctly, the cover doesn't blow around, and stays nice and snug.

Third, my cover was easy to put on, I did it by myself, and I'm no spring chicken. There's an easy process how to roll it up and deploy the cover.

Fourth, I put the cover on to protect my custom vinyl wrap from UV damage over the Winter. Many people use covers for the same reason, to protect the decals on their rigs from UV over the Winter.

Lastly, people wash their rigs in the Fall, put on their covers, and when they take the covers off in the Spring, the rig is as clean as it was in the Fall. No exterior cleaning is needed to get all the Winter crap off of the rig.

So, in synopsis, covers are definitely worth it.
You might want to take a minute or two and go to the Heartland RV sight and do some reading on this topic. Having been there for 9 years and having read the complaints of moisture and wear, I think I can say with some confidence that they do create those issues.

I'm glad it works for you but the majority use it a few times and dump it because of the issues and inconvenience.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #7

Over 40 years and never covered living in Ohio.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Over 40 years and never covered living in Ohio.
I have had an RV of one kind or another since 1999. During that time I have had the opportunity to talk with many RV owners as well as belonging to the Heartland Owner's sight for 9+ years. I considered, several times, covering my RV. My one-on-one conversations changed my mind. I pay for covered parking.

Most complained about wear from the cover rubbing during wind and we do get some wind during Monsoon. Some complained about moisture build up causing black mold. Contrary to the comment about the air conditioner creating circulation, it would seem to me that would be a major trap for moisture since the rest of the cover is tied down (as much as you can tie down).

In any event more than a few complained about that issue. Most said that it became tedious putting it on and taking it off. We have a 12 month a year RV season here so they do not get put into "storage" but do need some protection.

The OP needs to make his own decision but from 20+ years of experience I would not and did not.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Since you've asked for opinions, and you know it's going to be split, here's mine. We've covered out TT since new in 2012, and for some of the above mentioned reasons. It's just as clean in the spring, as when we covered it in the fall. No leaves, pine needles, maple 'helicopters', bird droppings, or black streaks.

A really good cover can be had at substantial savings online right now. The cover on it right now will be retired after eight years of service in Western NY winters. It's an Adco brand, for reference. The next one's already in the garage for next fall. We bought one from National RV Covers (no affiliation, just a customer), per reviews and a good discounted price. It has yet to be used, so I can't say on it's longevity, but we expect at least the same service years.

https://www.nationalrvcovers.com/?ut...Kickoff+Sale+2

No, you won't see them covered at dealers. Too many of them, and too many sizes. Too much money to cover them all. Just my opinion here, since you asked.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Not everyone lives in the desert or has covered storage. The top half of the country has thing called Winter, every year, and people have to leave their rigs outside, exposed to it, when not being used.

Besides the A/Cs holding the cover off the roof, many rigs have multiple vent covers, a ladder, TV antenna, solar, awning, satellite dish, fridge vent, skylights, etc., which all help keep the cover up off the roof, and allow air circulation. It's tough to get mold and mildew when it's 30 degrees out.

Did I mention good covers also have multiple vent flaps down the side to also help with air circulation?

Also, did I mention the cover keeps all the Fall and Winter crap off the rig, specially if it's parked under trees, and keeps the rig completely clean during it's storage period? No black streaks....
Old 04-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Not everyone lives in the desert or has covered storage. The top half of the country has thing called Winter, every year, and people have to leave their rigs outside, exposed to it, when not being used.

Besides the A/Cs holding the cover off the roof, many rigs have multiple vent covers, a ladder, TV antenna, solar, awning, satellite dish, fridge vent, skylights, etc., which all help keep the cover up off the roof, and allow air circulation. It's tough to get mold and mildew when it's 30 degrees out.

Did I mention good covers also have multiple vent flaps down the side to also help with air circulation?

Also, did I mention the cover keeps all the Fall and Winter crap off the rig, specially if it's parked under trees, and keeps the rig completely clean during it's storage period? No black streaks....
Haha you have not been here in the summer I can see.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Haha you have not been here in the summer I can see.
And I should add our summer runs fro April to November.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Like I said above, not everyone lives "here".
Old 04-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #14

I bought a cover from National for our Eagle. We live in California and the uv here tore our last rig up. The cover arrived a couple weeks after we ordered it. I was down with a cold for a couple weeks and wasn't able to put the cover on unfortunately till the following week. I had ordered a cover for a 37' long rig but they sent me one for a 39 footer. Needless to say it's too big and the wind has a hayday with it even with the straps pulled tight. I tried to return it but they have a strict 30 day return policy and wouldn't take it back even though they sent me the wrong size. If you buy from national be sure you got what you ordered and read their reviews about returns...not good. Now I have a cover I'll need to list on craigslist. A few of the rigs where we keep ours have the Classic industries one....cant remember the name but they are light and keep the uv off the rig, That's going to be my next cover.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Yep, size and design seems to be really important, so the cover fits correctly and tight. Just like buying pants, if the waist size you buy is 2 inches larger than normal, you'll have lots of "slack" in multiple areas, affecting fit.

I bought a Adco like this one below, and it was on my rig for 5 months through the crappy Winter. I took it off last week, checked all the corners of the rig, and everything looks good, no wear marks, and a clean rig.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #16

If you buy a cover, do NOT buy one of these:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ney-34186.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #17

Interesting topic. We purchased a cover for our 2008 Cameo but never used it - still in the box in the garage. We even purchased the mechanism to help me load & take to the top. We have had trailers off & on since 1977 and never covered. Why did we purchase the cover in 2008? Because our plan was to cover the unit. But something happened that winter & we never got it covered before the winter storms. Then in the spring of 2009, an acquaintance had their unit broken into - while they had a cover on it & they didn't think anyone would break in. Once they went to open for the season sure enough, they were hit.

As you said you will get different opinions...you do what you feel you need to do.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #18

All my older friends say it's to hard to get it up there, put it on and get it off. We have better things to do with our money, like a TPMS system.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Like I said above, not everyone lives "here".
And we are very happy with that.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #20

I would not cover because I listen to people older than me. Always have. If you do cover do not cover it with POLY anything. The cover must breath.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote