Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #1

Covers on couch and dinette seats

Still doing my research before we (rather *I*!) decide what to purchase.

I have to tell ya, the interior decor options leave a lot to be desired for someone that really doesn't like brown or tan. Or knows her eyes will boggle after a while looking at the patterns they use. (My brain always tries to find things inside of patterns, which can be fun some times and a real bother at other times.)

Anyway, hubby suggests covers. Are they readily available? Do they stay in place or are they more of a pain to deal with?

Right now I'm looking at an Eagle HT 26.5RKS with the almond colorway. But also liked a few Eagle Premiers (331RKTS and 351RLTS).

Or will I just need to suck it up and deal with whatever color I pick out or they have on the lot if I don't want to order one?

Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #2

They need to do something a little more exciting on these interiors. Browns are boring, dull and gloomy and with so few windows you would think lighter colors would be a natural.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #3

Well, I did see one Class A at the recent Seattle RV show that was *too* light. It was basically white paneling for the cabinets. I forget what the furniture color was as the white paneling wasn't my style and I wasn't able to figure out at their web site if it came in other color options, so I crossed it off my list.

Now, if they used blues, we'd be talking! Or even grays! But browns and tans. Yuck. Maybe I can get zebra striped furniture covers. In purple! That'd sure brighten it up.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:23 AM   #4

This looks like a cream and I could work with this color? At least you can do something with it, giving it some life, fitting your oun personality into it. Would cheerful be a good way to describe this one?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

Personally, I like tans, rusts, and browns (note my user name)! I find them to be very warm and soothing. They're certainly better than the baby blue and pink flowered interiors of the 80's; or the maroon and navy blue paisley interiors of the 90's. Just a man's opinion!

You can always brighten things up with some colorful pictures, throw pillows, throw rugs, or (as your husband suggested) slip covers.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

The good thing about the neutral color schemes is that it has been easy (and inexpensive) to add color. Even the dog bed was an opportunity lol.
Attached Thumbnails
20150215_075834.jpg  
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #7

Flowers or paisley?!?!?! Horrors!

What I'm mainly wondering is if anyone has put slip covers on their furniture and do they stay in place. Slip covers that slip (HA!) around are quite annoying, to say the least. I already know I'm not using the bed spread that comes with the unit - ghastly!

If slip covers have used by others, are there any that are better than others? I did have someone make custom basket liners for my product display for when I sell at craft bazaars and I'll probably ask her at some point if she can make custom slip covers in the fabric of my choice. It won't be cheap though!

Thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
The good thing about the neutral color schemes is that it has been easy (and inexpensive) to add color. Even the dog bed was an opportunity lol.
Very true! Love the doggie bed. I'm going to travel with my kitty and she has a leopard print fuzzy basket that will be coming along. As well as an electric zebra patterned throw for those cooler days/evenings.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #9

No No No, tried to find a better pic. at 2:00 in the morning but couldn't. I'm not into the flowers or paisley either I was just trying to show how much easier it would be to decorate the inside by not having UPS brown all around. 50 Shades of Grey sounds better than 50 shades of brown. Like you, I would like to see more than a pillow and a throw rug to look at. TT tend to look all the same inside at least that's what I saw at the RV show but the motor homes take on a whole new look from floor to ceiling. Some I liked and some I didn't but they had more life to them.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
It won't be cheap though!
One thing I have found is that the furniture in RVs is not of very high quality. Neither the padding nor the material. My plan is to replace on the 3 year plan.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
One thing I have found is that the furniture in RVs is not of very high quality. Neither the padding nor the material. My plan is to replace on the 3 year plan.
Ah, that is good to know. Was not aware of that. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #12

To answer your main question about throw covers, I bought 2 for the sofa in my TT. My dog likes to "dig" before laying down, and I wanted to protect the vinyl sofa from scratches. First one was a full cover: The arms of the sofa are so close to the sides of the refrig. and wardrobe in my slide, that I couldn't get the cover over the arms. Second was more of a "throw", designed to cover the cushions, but not the sides. It slides around on the vinyl sofa, and ends up being bunched up at one end or the other. I ended up throwing both away, but they might work better on a cloth sofa. If you have a booth dinette, I would think that sliding in and out would also cause a slip cover to slide around and bunch up - regardless of the fabric. You may want to do a Google or Yellow Pages search for someone in your area that can sew new cushion covers in a fabric you find more appealing.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #13

Thanks Brownie. This is exactly what I was looking for. And kind of what I suspected. Guess I'll just have to suck it up in regards to whatever I get.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

How are your sewing abilities? My wife follows a camping podcast that always gives her ideas to improve our decor. Here is a link she got from it referencing the pop-up princess, who made her own covers.

Reupholstering Your Camper Cushions - The Pop Up Princess
TravelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #15

No kidding! our first 5er was "Mauve"...or so I think they called the color. I just figured it was dark pink! Basically it was ugly but that was also back in the late 90's.
The next one had dark brown with green accents...not too bad but the brown showed all the dust. We opted for "Almond" in the new Eagle. It's a nice compromise. Doesn't show dust, is dark enough to hide routine soil and lightens up the interior nicely.
All personal preference I guess.....
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote