Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Craftsmanship lacking

I purchased 2012 30.5 RLS & have had it back to the dealer 5 times for poor workmanship ranging from leaking hot water tank, leaking vacuum valve in water system, misaligned door frames. damaged cabinet doors,split cabinet doors all which thankfully were replaced or repaired by the dealer A few issues I fixed myself as it is a hassle to haul the Fifth Wheel down to the dealers for some cosmetic issues. I have owned 4 Jacyco's & the quality has really diminished. I still am a Jayco fan in-spite of the issues with this new one. Glad Jayco has a 2 year warranty.
matt1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your issues.

The fit & finish in our Pinnacle is....well...beautiful. The comments we have received (have been asked "do you mind if we look") are mostly 'Wow'!!

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Matt,

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems and I have to agree with you. Our first Jayco was a 1998 265 and the fit and finish was expertly done. Our 2011 (which was recently destroyed by a tornado) looked like they cut the pipe runs with a chainsaw, our crown molding had slight gaps and the overall finish definately showed they have xxx amount of time to complete each unit. I emailed them my concerns and am hoping our 2012 will be better. We shall see.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #4

Our Eagle is the best 5er we've owned. I figure we got what we payed for and more. Only a couple minor issues like a burned out bulb and a missing window knob which I took care of myself. Maybe your 5th wheel was built on a friday before a holiday weekend and the workers didnt have there minds on there work.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1946 View Post
I purchased 2012 30.5 RLS & have had it back to the dealer 5 times for poor workmanship ranging from leaking hot water tank, leaking vacuum valve in water system, misaligned door frames. damaged cabinet doors,split cabinet doors all which thankfully were replaced or repaired by the dealer A few issues I fixed myself as it is a hassle to haul the Fifth Wheel down to the dealers for some cosmetic issues. I have owned 4 Jacyco's & the quality has really diminished. I still am a Jayco fan in-spite of the issues with this new one. Glad Jayco has a 2 year warranty.
"Craftmanship" to me means one craftsman built whatever you get- "Workmanship" is what you get on a production line- It's true we deserve better workmanship from whomever we make a purchase, but "craftsmanship" is an unreasonable expectation in my opinion- The manufacturers of rvs use the presence of Amish in Indiana to promote their product- I have had factory tours in that area- I didn't see any homespun clothing on the crews assembling the rvs- JHMO- DD
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

One can only do so much so fast. Seems like quantity is winning over quality 99% of the time. We picked up our new 23.5 RBS last Friday. Found several minor problems during PDI and lots more once we got home. Nothing major at home just minor adjustments. Steps became loose, excess caulking cleaned up and trim excessively long strings on curtains. Frame welds look real good but the factory installed trailer hitch looked like it was welded on by a goose with the runs if you know what I mean. It still looks a lot better than some of the other brands I looked at when RV shopping. So far I am somewhat satisfied in my purchase but time will tell.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

We didn't purchase a fifth wheel, but we also had a number of issues to get fixed after we picked up our camper. I guess what disappointed me the most was that most of the issues were the simple almost silly items that should have never made it out of the factory. My dealer didn't do their job of cleaning up the issues before I bought it so I got to inventory all the stuff and make sure it got taken care of. I don't feel I should have had to do that. Seems to me it's more expensive to address issues after the fact. It also doesn't do much for my confidence in all the stuff I can't see. You're right that Jayco's 2-year warranty is the saving grace. I wouldn't consider their trailers without it given what I've personally experienced. This is our second Jayco, our first was a 2011 28BHS. There were many more quality issues with our 2012 32TSBH. I don't know why, I just know there were.
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgvn77 View Post
We didn't purchase a fifth wheel, but we also had a number of issues to get fixed after we picked up our camper. I guess what disappointed me the most was that most of the issues were the simple almost silly items that should have never made it out of the factory. My dealer didn't do their job of cleaning up the issues before I bought it so I got to inventory all the stuff and make sure it got taken care of. I don't feel I should have had to do that. Seems to me it's more expensive to address issues after the fact. It also doesn't do much for my confidence in all the stuff I can't see. You're right that Jayco's 2-year warranty is the saving grace. I wouldn't consider their trailers without it given what I've personally experienced. This is our second Jayco, our first was a 2011 28BHS. There were many more quality issues with our 2012 32TSBH. I don't know why, I just know there were.
I think you have had a period of time with your unit and have gained "experience" which is a good thing to have- Next time you will have had even more "experience"- JMHO- DD
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
My Father used to say, "There's never enough time to do it right but there's always enough time to do it over."

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote