Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BHS ECO View Post
While we are in the " Jayco Bashing mode" stupidity seams to run rampart in my '13 28DSBH . Rear door to the bath has 2 steps while the main door has 3 steps. All the upper cabinet doors lift up with no means to hold them up. The little fridge in the pass thru storage doesn't have a shut off. Just say'n
I am not just bashing Jayco, I am bashing the entire trailer/RV industry.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Where is the incentive to improve? Thor has $14 billion in back orders, basically sold out of 2022 models already. The bean counters don't want to change a thing.
Bingo.

As soon as Jayco starts paying large warranty repair costs, then there will be an incentive to change.

Since there's no change, that means, to me:
- warranty costs are not that big -- OR
- the margins on these things for Jayco are astounding
Old 07-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #23

RV and Auto manufacturers all fall under the same Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1974.

And the biggest factor of all, you bought it after inspecting it
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #24

[QUOTE=Grumpy;982517]Car manufacturers, for the most part, build many of their own parts.

42 years in the auto industry. GM used to make most of their parts. Now, look at a window sticker. Transmission, france, engine, mexico. glass, mexico, many small parts china, even pigments in the paint, china. Everything is outsourced to the cheapest supplier. A batch of bad parts gets charged back to the supplier as is the cost to replace that part. The suppliers are being constantly squeezed for better quality and lower cost. If the bean counters think they can save a few pennies they will make things happen.

I would like to see RV manufacturers step up their QC.
2020 GM 3500 Duramax, ZERO issues.
2020 pinnacle 32rlts, 30 warranty issues. Most but not all were assembly related. Over driven and off location screws, cracked trim parts, lots of scratches, adhesive foot and hand prints, mis-matched trim.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #25

[QUOTE=ARoamer;982605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Car manufacturers, for the most part, build many of their own parts.

42 years in the auto industry. GM used to make most of their parts. Now, look at a window sticker. Transmission, france, engine, mexico. glass, mexico, many small parts china, even pigments in the paint, china. Everything is outsourced to the cheapest supplier.

But for the most part those plants are owned by GM, FORD, or FIAT/CHRYSLER. That is just where their plant is. Also you can't go to a FORD dealer for a CHEVY part, but I can go to any RV dealer and order a Coleman part, stove part, water heater part, or any part for an LCI system to use on a JAYCO, FOREST RIVER, WINNEBAGO, etc.

FORD owns the window & glass plant in China.. My wife's cousin, a FORD EMPLOYEE was in upper management there. Transferred from Detroit

That is my point.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #26

You are correct….it is the entire industry. We’ve owned several RV’s over the past 30 years and you can see the quality of product dwindling year after year.
Or last good unit was a 2009 Mobile Suites that was built like a tank and the quality in and out was top notch. There really needs to be some form of oversight as far as consistency in construction of these units.
I just can’t imagine the auto industry surviving if the put cars and trucks on the road with the deficiencies these new RVS have.
And to the guys that say you have to be able to repair things yourself…I’ve done lots from installing new plumbing to changing hot water tanks in a campground…that doesn’t mean you should have too on a brand new 5th wheel.
Beachbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum2 View Post
Or last good unit was a 2009 Mobile Suites that was built like a tank and the quality in and out was top notch.
And what is that "PRICE POINT" in comparison, almost 30% more

$165,000 vs $120,00 for a PINNACLE
Old 07-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #28

Our last 3 fifth wheels have been Excels which featured a fully boxed, house built frame and guaranteed not freeze to 10 below. Our last one had 17.5 inch wheels, disc brakes and MorRyde IS. The cabinets were solid hickory. Gave us almost zero issues in 8 years of use but if you opened the panel behind the storage bay there was a rat's nest of wiring. I never gave it much thought as everything worked as it was supposed to.

When we bought the Pinnacle over a year ago I braced myself for the numerous issues I figured I would have but to date they have not come. One slide adjustment is all it has needed. We actually like it better than any of the Excel's we owned. It tows and rides better than any fifth wheel we have owned and heats and cools as well as any of our Excels. The fit and finish on ours is really good but if you open the storage bay panel the rat's nest is there. Since everything works I don't worry about it, just close the door and don't look at it. This is fifth wheel number 7 for us in the past 40 years and so far it is our favorite.

Maybe we just got lucky.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #29

Yes…but whether it’s a $300K home or $30 million they still make sure the roof, walls, taps etc are all installed correctly.
I’m not talking about cabinet or Lino quality…but siides and awnings should function, plumbing shouldn’t leak and floors should not squeak when you walk on them regardless of price disparity.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum2 View Post
And to the guys that say you have to be able to repair things yourself…I’ve done lots from installing new plumbing to changing hot water tanks in a campground…that doesn’t mean you should have too on a brand new 5th wheel.
I agree.

But the sad fact is that the industry is making junk and people are waiting in lines to buy it. And pay extra.

There are a few high quality manufacturers out there. And you pay $$extra for it.

The 2020 Industry Sales numbers clearly indicate that manufacturing high quality motor-homes is dumb. Just make cr*p like the rest of the big guys and rake in the profits.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
There are a few high quality manufacturers out there. And you pay $$extra for it.
Well, that's the crux of the entire matter. The market determines what we get. So long as people want rock bottom prices, low quality is what we get. The only way to change it, is if everyone just decided to stop buying them. The industry would panic and scramble to figure out what to do. But of course we know people will just keep on buying them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #32

Stop buying, they will build quality units! Until then, expect and get junk!
Old 07-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #33

And that is the sad reality…and maybe like the auto industry they should be forced into providing a minimum 4 year warranty. Maybe then quality control will improve.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Stop buying, they will build quality units! Until then, expect and get junk!
Bingo.

The underlying law of purchases: You the Customer want High Quality, High Performance, a Low Price.

The Salesman/Producer: I have all three...Pick Two.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #35

The problem is…they’re telling you they have different levels of quality like Chevy has Cadillac and Ford has Lincoln. Jayco has Eagle North point and Pinnacle.
But the difference between all of them is cosmetic and that’s about it. Not like they have Red Seal carpenters working on the Pinnacle.