Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2021, 11:47 PM   #1

Creaky interior stairs

Our new 355MBQS (we just got it brand new in July) has terribly creaky steps. The bottom step is worse than the second step and both are worse on the side next to the bunk room and on the outer wall side.

I can't figure out how to get the steps off. If I can do that I can trim just a 1/16th of an inch off the one edge so it doesn't rub on the wall.

Any idea how to remove the steps and still be able to put them back in without having to drive screws through the vinyl flooring?
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

My 17 Northpoint 375 HAD the same issue. My bottom step was really bad on the interior wall side. I tried powder and all.sorts of staff with no luck. I solved mine by going into the basement (pass thru storage area) and removing the back wall. That gained me access to the steps and all sorts of good stuff in there. I found the step treads are poorly supported. I cut a couple pieces of 1x, made the fit a little on the tight side enough you need a hammer to set them in there, and used my air nailer to k secure them to the inside framing. Solid as a rock and not one bit of squeak anymore.
You should be able to do the same.

Add,... the screws they use for pretty much everything on these are a square head, #2 I believe. If you dont have any you can get them at any of the box stores, Lowes, HD, etc...
Old 01-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
My 17 Northpoint 375 HAD the same issue. My bottom step was really bad on the interior wall side. I tried powder and all.sorts of staff with no luck. I solved mine by going into the basement (pass thru storage area) and removing the back wall. That gained me access to the steps and all sorts of good stuff in there. I found the step treads are poorly supported. I cut a couple pieces of 1x, made the fit a little on the tight side enough you need a hammer to set them in there, and used my air nailer to k secure them to the inside framing. Solid as a rock and not one bit of squeak anymore.
You should be able to do the same.

Add,... the screws they use for pretty much everything on these are a square head, #2 I believe. If you dont have any you can get them at any of the box stores, Lowes, HD, etc...
Same issue, getting ready to fix it, going to do the same thing you have done for the fix----
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #4

I wish I had a better pic, but i think you guys will get the idea.
This is looking to the back thru the right side basement door. I've removed the back basement wall. The silver box is my transfer switch. I moved that out of the way. If you blow the pic up you can see the louvered kick plate of the first step. Once you get in there you'll see what I'm talking about of how the step tread flexes so much from the lack of support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200308_174053.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	66814
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I wish I had a better pic, but i think you guys will get the idea.
This is looking to the back thru the right side basement door. I've removed the back basement wall. The silver box is my transfer switch. I moved that out of the way. If you blow the pic up you can see the louvered kick plate of the first step. Once you get in there you'll see what I'm talking about of how the step tread flexes so much from the lack of support.

Attachment 66814
I do not have a picture of my location yet tomorrow, but mine is wide open, no real crap in the way, 321 RSTS unit 2017

Did find a photo of my step issue, not much in the way, left side of photo
Attached Thumbnails
20201210_154639[1].jpg  
Old 01-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #6

Unfortunately my model is a bit different from yours. It has the outdoor kitchen between that basement compartment and the stairs. The kitchen compartment has a large heavy metal base that the fridge is attached to. I'd have to remove the fridge (can't figure out how it's attached) and go through the wall of that compartment to get to the stairs I think. I'm going to try to take that wall off in the storage hatch and see if I figure out how to maneuver over there.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #7

I'm hoping to see an answer on how to get the treads off, I have the squeak and would spray some WD40on the edge of them but it only lasts for a little bit.
Chris
Past Travel Trailers:2003 Flagstaff 25LB, 1993 Terry 35V, 1982 Serro Scotty 18', 1976 Dutch Craft 25', 1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-OneRanch View Post
I'm hoping to see an answer on how to get the treads off, I have the squeak and would spray some WD40on the edge of them but it only lasts for a little bit.
Chris
I haven't figured it out myself just yet. I'd be concerned about the affect of WD-40 on the materials.

My guess is that the treads are tacked down before the vinyl flooring is put down. I'm going to try to take off the edge piece one of these days and then pull up the vinyl. It should come right up as it's not supposed to be glued down. Will let you know what I find.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #9

Well took the front of the stairs apart, and used 32 longer screws and pre-drilled pilot holes and just started to add them were I thought they were needed, no more squeaky stairs----

Tags
creaking noise, flooring, squeaky loose floor noise, steps