Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #21

Fresh Cab inside the TT, NOT moth balls! Like John said, moth balls will leave you with a VERY stinky TT for a LONG time.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #22

Nobody asked , How did the raccoons get on the roof of the trailers? I've never seen a coon climb a ladder . Just saying.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #23

I've seen coons climb ladders, but two of the seven didn't have ladders, so we (collectively) were figuring that they got between the camper and the cover and made their way to the top.

Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:28 AM   #24

Interesting!
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #25

Attached Images

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #26

Raccoons have something close opposable thumbs. (Not really opposable, but the thumb and “pinkie” fingers can touch the palm of their paw.)
Pretty much anything you can do with your hands, a raccoon can do too.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #27

I would suggest that renting a enclosed storage unit from a self storage facility is looking like a pretty good option here. Some people balk at the cost of a unit that is big enough, but when you consider the potential damage from critters, hail and the extended life of the camper by keeping it out of the elements, it's not such a bad deal. I keep mine in a storage unit that has electric, so the battery stays charged and I can pre-cool the fridge before I take off for a weekend.

Although, i am not making an unbiased suggestion here... I own the self storage facility.

PS even if you put it in an enclosed storage unit I would still suggest some basic prevention... be sure to clean out ALL food, the dryer sheets are a good idea too. Some people also believe that putting out soap bars deters rodents. Also, there are traps called "tin cat" that do a pretty good job of catching small rodents. I have them in the storage unit with my camper just in case. But not IN the camper since dead mice stink pretty bad.
wi-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #28

As a fulltimer, i am always looking for ways to improve things. Since I was invaded by mice a couple of years ago while living in my rv, I am rather paranoid. In my winter park a 5th was invaded by field mice who totally destroyed the 5th wheel. Those of us who used LED lights under our rigs were not bothered.

So, if you are interested buy 3 or 4 lengths of Led rope lights, good prices at Harbor Freight. I use a long rod with clamper on one end to put lights where I want it, coil the rope, throw underneath fromfront and lay out w rod. Same for back. Middle section takes a little more work but well worth the effort.😊😊😅 good luck! Bobbie
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #29

In addition to cleaning everything, I take all the condiments,toothaste, dishtowels and bedding out. PUt dryer sheets everywhere in every drawer, lift all the cushions up so there is no place to hide and keep cabinet doors open. Of course I'm worried about mice and red squirrels. So far so good. I also have it in my yard and check it weekly or so....If your not too far away check on it more...
And we cover it for sure in Northern NH lots of snow and ice!( that we shovel and I know folks don't cover or shovel but the weight of wet snow and ice here makes us feel that it is the right thing)
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #30

Dryer sheets

Our TT is kept at a seasonal campground. The gas lines are wrapped in aluminum foil to keep the squirrels from damaging them. When we close up, all food is removed & dryer sheets go everywhere. They go in the cabinets, the outside storage compartments, under the mattresses, on top of the mattresses, in the closets, etc. A small dish of charcoal goes in the fridge, which is left ajar. We also use kitty litter in pans & dry-rid to collect excess moisture.
Macshane43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #31

When we bought our trailer, the Jayco dealer told us he didn't recommend covers. He said covers cause more damage vs protecting the RV. I get headaches from scents so we can't use any of the scented remedies to ward off critters. We empty our trailer before winter storage to offer nothing of interest to critters - mice is what we worry the most about. We never leave food of any kind in our trailer and we make sure the floors are vacuumed and the kitchen is spotless. We don't have a covered underbelly so hubby was able to go under the trailer and fill any holes he saw. We do put mice poison bait in the trailer but so far, we haven't seen any signs of any visitors.
LBLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #32

Can this be used when your at a CG, or just for when the unit is stored? Does it work for mice?
Acaltag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #33

The led lights can be used anywhere. Solar lights, sorry i think i forgot that little detail, the sun keeps the lights charged so you dont have to be next to electrical outlet. I can say I have not been bothered by mice since I started with these lights. And neither have any of my friends.

I keep the lights on pulsing. The mice, any kind, dont like the lights, so a strand down the middle under your rig does the trick. Makes them go elsewhere. ����
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #34

There is something that reminded me of something I read a long time ago. It might help. If you do cover your camper I would put red cayenne pepper flakes along any where the varmints can get into. If they lick their paws they are in for a rude awakening. If anything more then using ghost peppers to really keep them away. Might work. Organic and might deter? Good luck. I think it was for squirrels. Our dogs keep them at bay. Just remember to remove them before touching your else you will be drinking milk to calm the throat.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
For raccoons, I’d try coyote urine or the scent from a predator. Check the hunting section at Walmart or a sporting goods store.
I’ve never had much luck getting a coyote to pee in my trailer...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote