Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #11

Well said norty1! I also tow a lot and have learned to take my time and enjoy the scenery.

"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #12

I tend to cruise around 67-70 mph when towing. ST tires are load tested to 65 mph. That means that if your tire is rated for 3000 lbs at 60psi, they start to lose that weight rating when your speeds exceed that 65 mph mark. Some manufacturers specifically state that you can exceed the 65 mph speed limit, but you need to over pressure your tires by 10psi.

I am still a working stiff, so my vacation time is precious to me. When I retire, I'll probably try to drive at 55 mph and see if my mileage improvements are worth it. For now I am willing to sacrifice a couple mpg's in order to have more time at the campground!

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #13

I know my truck with 4:10 gears power band for my Cummings is at 2000 rpm which with my 315 tires is 70. I might go back to just bigger than stock and put the power back at 65 mph
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #14

ST tires are speed rated to 65 mph; if they fail, and there's signs of you going over that, there's no recourse. With only 1 or 2 exceptions, ST tires on heavy TTs and FWs are a joke. I figure my Carlisle RH, which are rated for 87 mph, should do me just fine for a long time as I only drive 65 max. I prefer 60 for the ~1.5 mpg mileage increase, but sometimes mama wants to get there a little faster. IMO, anyone who runs STs > 65 mph is just asking for a tire failure, usually catastrophic. LTs are a different story, and if you've got them on your rig, I'll wave as you pass by. :-)

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
ST tires are speed rated to 65 mph; if they fail, and there's signs of you going over that, there's no recourse. With only 1 or 2 exceptions, ST tires on heavy TTs and FWs are a joke. I figure my Carlisle RH, which are rated for 87 mph, should do me just fine for a long time as I only drive 65 max. I prefer 60 for the ~1.5 mpg mileage increase, but sometimes mama wants to get there a little faster. IMO, anyone who runs STs > 65 mph is just asking for a tire failure, usually catastrophic. LTs are a different story, and if you've got them on your rig, I'll wave as you pass by. :-)

Lyle
My Maxxis 8008's are speed rated (Q) 99 mph. Still I don't go over the speed limit.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
My Maxxis 8008's are speed rated (Q) 99 mph. Still I don't go over the speed limit.
Is that marked on the tire? I just put Maxxis on my trailer, and their website still lists the standard "65" rating. From what I understand, that was an import requirement that has since expired, so you're finding ST tires with higher speed ratings now. It should be marked somewhere on the tire right?

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #17

I set the cruise at 62 or slower if in heavy traffic.

Everybody talks about having a blow out on the trailer or FW. My biggest concern would be on the TV, I have G-614's on the FW. I don't care what tire you have all it takes is a small chunk of something on the road to cause a blow-out. My uncle had the happen and the only thing that saved him from ending up on the opposite side of the X-way (can we say head-on) was the fact the trailer flipped and hit the passenger side of his car and sent it straight up the median.

I'll spend the extra hour on the road, rather than taking the chance.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I set the cruise at 62 or slower if in heavy traffic.

Everybody talks about having a blow out on the trailer or FW. My biggest concern would be on the TV, I have G-614's on the FW. I don't care what tire you have all it takes is a small chunk of something on the road to cause a blow-out. My uncle had the happen and the only thing that saved him from ending up on the opposite side of the X-way (can we say head-on) was the fact the trailer flipped and hit the passenger side of his car and sent it straight up the median.

I'll spend the extra hour on the road, rather than taking the chance.
I agree it only takes once. I had a close one before with my 14k boat on a tri axle trailer and most people have never had to stop now or swerve while towing a very heavy load more than the tv. Yes the tv will wave the dog and u will never forget that
Rock
That one took several years off my life
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Is that marked on the tire? I just put Maxxis on my trailer, and their website still lists the standard "65" rating. From what I understand, that was an import requirement that has since expired, so you're finding ST tires with higher speed ratings now. It should be marked somewhere on the tire right?
I've never heard this. I =have= heard that ST tires run right at the edge of their "envelope", with little safety margin. The speed limit is simply to keep the tires from self-destructing if run > a certain speed. Frankly, this is true of =all= tires.

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #20

Well, now I'm confused. I found this AAA Trailer Speed Limit chart (clicky) and it provoked several questions:

1) Sounds like I have really been speeding in Louisiana:

Boat or utility trailer, same as passenger car; house trailer, 55 mph, day, 50 mph, night for brake-equipped trailers 15 to 32 feet long, 50 mph for trailers without brakes less than 15 feet; all others, 45 mph.

So how fast can I (not should I) tow my fifth wheel on an interstate in LA with a posted speed limit of 70 mph??

2) Generally, my fifth wheel is not a "Mobile Home" or "house trailer", is it?

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote