Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #1

Dealer increases price on custom order after delivery

Curious what you guys would do if you were in my situation. We did a custom order for an Eagle HT 31MB back in January. After multiple delays, the RV arrived at the dealer last week. Jayco raised the price on the unit to the dealer (camping world) by over 5000 and the dealer is passing the entire increase down to me. There is nothing in our signed documents stating that we are liable for the price increase.

We have a signed purchased agreement, signed build sheet, and signed receipt for a deposit (which they told me was non-refundable at the time). None of which they are wanting to honor. Jayco is refusing to price protect the order and camping world is saying that I either accept the new price or they will be glad to let me out of the deal.

The discount was strong (msrp with options around 64k with an all in out the door price of 47K) when I negotiated the deal and I'm not sure, even with the extra 5k (new price around 54K), that I can replicate the deal or beat it.

I'm the type of guy that likes to fight for what's right but they win if I walk away (probably make more money) or if I pay the increased price. Everyone likes to talk about attorney's and I am debating it. The cost of following through with a threat like that may be more than the 5k though.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparr View Post
the dealer is passing the entire increase down to me. There is nothing in our signed documents stating that we are liable for the price increase.
Seller's market, so I think it's between you and the dealer. JAYCO has no control over the massive increases in raw materials. Just look at the price of lumber alone, it went up 250%.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #3

Tight spot. Question is a 5K plus lawyer worth fighting the extra 5k for the trailer? Camping World has more money to spend than you do with lawyers on retainer.
I have an idea though. If your on Twitter you could always dm Mr. Lemonis. He has been very gracious with his money lately to followers on Twitter. He may be able to "pull some strings" for you.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Tight spot. Question is a 5K plus lawyer worth fighting the extra 5k for the trailer? Camping World has more money to spend than you do with lawyers on retainer.
Especially since they will let him out of the deal. Which I assume means they will refund the deposit so he has no monetary loss to recoup.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Especially since they will let him out of the deal. Which I assume means they will refund the deposit so he has no monetary loss to recoup.
One could only hope. But with the current climate who knows. I brought up the Twitter idea because he has given away well over $100,000 for different things. Love him or hate him he's helped a lot of people lately.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #6

The dealer has nothing to lose in this situation. I guess one question is will taking the hit leave a long term bitter taste in your mouth? Every time you see the trailer are you going to be think "I was played"?

Everyone knows materials cost went up dramatically over the last six months. $5000 worth of increase on one trailer? I don't know.

I'd push back on having to absorb all the increase but if you really want the unit and can but the buying experience behind you AND you do an absolutely thorough inspection that shows you're not going to be revisiting this negative experience repeatedly by dealing with quality issues down the road then maybe the prudent thing to do is fork over the extra $5K.

Your experience is one of many that motivates me to only buy a unit a dealer has in stock even if I have to travel to get it. The idea that buying local to have the selling dealer readily available to deal with issues doesn't seem to apply here.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #7

Remember when a mans handshake was his word? Not that I am advising you what to do with that now free hand to remind him how that is supposed to work.
Many moons ago, a family member felt they were taken by a big box store. Parked his truck out front with a big sign in the back. They finally gave him what he wanted to make him go away.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #8

Dealer increases price on custom order after delivery

Pretty crappy on their part if they wouldn’t even offer to split the difference with you seeing how they are in breach of your contract.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #9

Camping World what do you expect.

In any of that paperwork does the word estimate appear. Does the phase subject to change appear. It may not be in your copy but it could well be in their original.

A Park Model manufacturer has just added a 5000 dollar surcharge to all orders as well as eliminating some items that were standard equipment such a window shutters and decorative lighting feature.

The 5k surcharge is to cover unknown material cost increases during manufacturing and is to be paid by the customer.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #10

Isn't a signed (by both parties) contract completely BINDING?

Unless you can find a clause in the contract that says "If it costs more to build, then they can bill you more", then they have to honor the price that both parties agreed to.. period.

Does your contract include the actual VIN on the trailer? If so, then you have the upper hand, as that VIN will be tied to you UNTIL you relinquish it - it can't be sold to anyone else legally as there is a binding contract on it. If they wanna play, tell them it can sit on their lot, repeatedly in the way and unsellable until the give you what they agreed to.

Yes, price of materials go up... but is it fair to stick 100% of that on the customer whe nit happens?... Because I know damn well, if the price of materials went down, they wouldn't be passing on the savings to the customer, would they? It's gotta work both ways and NOT always in the favor of the builder or the dealer.....
AUH #3220
Old 06-21-2021, 11:54 PM   #11

Not sure I'd deal with camping World in the first place. I'm a former employee.

I'm not sure what I'd do. I guess it depends on how truly special your custom features are, and how far the next closest brand dealer is to you.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:28 AM   #12

When this happened to me on my Seneca the dealer argued with Jayco on it and Jayco honored the original price. Mine had to deal with 2018.5 to 2019 year change though.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #13

Maybe the dealer will split the increase with you. I understand the shortage of material and increases right now, however if you order something the cost should be firm. Or a clear written clause, price subject to change.
Are they clamming force majeure? Act of god?
Old 06-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #14

I ordered my Eagle in March of 2018. In May I was told from the dealer that it would be a 2019 model. When it arrived in June, the dealer informed me that Jayco had a price increase for the 2019 model year. The dealer then stated it would not effect me as I ordered it in March and I had a signed purchase agreement. Unless your agreement states that price will be adjusted at time of delivery ( like when buying a new car) you should not be charged. Once you have a signed purchase agreement, that is the price you should pay. Sounds like another Camping World rip off.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #15

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will do my best to answer all of the questions.
Quote:
Seller's market, so I think it's between you and the dealer. JAYCO has no control over the massive increases in raw materials. Just look at the price of lumber alone, it went up 250%.
You’re not wrong that it’s a seller’s market and prices have increased. This was an order from January that was repeatedly delayed. Essentially, by delaying my order, Jayco forced me into a higher price. They then refused to price protect the order and camping world is refusing to honor the mutually signed purchase agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I have an idea though. If your on Twitter you could always dm Mr. Lemonis. He has been very gracious with his money lately to followers on Twitter. He may be able to "pull some strings" for you.
Yeah, this is what I’m debating (worth lawyer fees). I’m also debating if I should report to my state’s attorney general (Florida).
There is a Camping World Marcus VIP line for issue resolution: https://rv.campingworld.com/marcusvip
I did open a case and it did get someone to call me back from the dealer. They didn’t budge though. I have circled back to the person at Marcus VIP and I’m hoping they are willing to listen. Twitter is a good idea. May try that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Every time you see the trailer are you going to be think "I was played"?

Your experience is one of many that motivates me to only buy a unit a dealer has in stock
The "played" part but more importantly the principle of it all. I believe strongly that we should treat others as we'd want to be treated. This is the chief reason why I have remained calm and polite throughout this entire ordeal. I feel wronged but that isn't a reason to wrong someone else. I also feel strongly that when you give someone your word (and go so far as to sign a piece of paper memorializing it) you should honor it.
Agree on the "no custom order" thing for us. This is our first RV and we have learned many lessons already. We've been saving and planning for two years (before Covid for us) to do this. Regrettably, this whole experience has made us question doing the RV thing in its entirety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Remember when a mans handshake was his word?
I sure do. The world is a broken place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Pretty crappy on their part if they wouldn’t even offer to split the difference with you seeing how they are in breach of your contract.
Agree. No concessions offered at all. Full increased passed down to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Camping World what do you expect.

In any of that paperwork does the word estimate appear. Does the phase subject to change appear. It may not be in your copy but it could well be in their original.
Fair on camping world. They beat my other quotes by around 1,500 so I rolled the dice with them. I’m hoping they will still do the right thing but it appears I may be another cautionary tale. Would other dealers have done the same? I don't know.
Nothing in the paperwork indicating anything about estimate, subject to change, I’ll have to pay increased fees, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
Isn't a signed (by both parties) contract completely BINDING?
Does your contract include the actual VIN on the trailer? If so, then you have the upper hand, as that VIN will be tied to you UNTIL you relinquish it - it can't be sold to anyone else legally as there is a binding contract on it.
I would have thought so.
There is no VIN on the purchase agreement because this is a custom order. The manufacturer doesn’t have a VIN for it until it is in production. A VIN is issued pretty late in the game. Can't speak to the ins and outs of how / when a VIN is tied to someone. Would love for someone to educate me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
Not sure I'd deal with camping World in the first place. I'm a former employee.
I'm not sure what I'd do. I guess it depends on how truly special your custom features are, and how far the next closest brand dealer is to you.
I’m still holding out hope that they (or I can persuade them to) do the right thing.
Ironically, this dealer is already a couple of hours from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
When this happened to me on my Seneca the dealer argued with Jayco on it and Jayco honored the original price. Mine had to deal with 2018.5 to 2019 year change though.
I have spoken with the regional Jayco rep. He is saying the factory is refusing to price protect the order. I do plan on reaching back out and trying that angle again though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
Are they clamming force majeure? Act of god?
They are not. They are simply stating that prices have risen and they can’t sell it to me at a loss as their financing bank won’t let them do so. I don’t buy that answer but it’s the one I got. That and a lot of other commentary around how we signed the wrong forms (we signed what they asked us to sign), it’s not binding (I’m not a lawyer but that doesn’t make since to me), the purchase agreement is only an estimate (also doesn’t make since), etc.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
I ordered my Eagle in March of 2018. In May I was told from the dealer that it would be a 2019 model. When it arrived in June, the dealer informed me that Jayco had a price increase for the 2019 model year. The dealer then stated it would not effect me as I ordered it in March and I had a signed purchase agreement. Unless your agreement states that price will be adjusted at time of delivery ( like when buying a new car) you should not be charged. Once you have a signed purchase agreement, that is the price you should pay. Sounds like another Camping World rip off.
That's how I would have thought it would have worked. Our agreement does not state anything about prices being adjusted at the time of delivery.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #17

I only have one advise on this ....

RUN AWAY FROM CAMPING WORLD AS FAST AS YOU CAN!
Old 06-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #18

You might try contacting the BBB and see what happens.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #19

For what it's worth here are comments from a JOF member 2 years ago as well as a comment on a FOREST RIVER forum as well as KEYSTONE forum. So this situation is not new.

From JOF..

I quickly read the fine print at the office and it looked ok. Then reread it at home, and it has a clause that says if the factory price goes up while it's being built, that the dealer can pass the increase on to us.

From FOREST RIVER.

Forest River is among those passing their increasing manufacturing costs of raw materials and parts on to the customer, which is not a huge surprise, given the state of the RV industry.

Even if the dealership has a buying order and signed contract on a unit to be built, those without price protection should expect a price hike of some kind, if scheduled for delivery after June 1.

From KEYSTONE:

Hi all,
I hope to be a new owner of a Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1700BH. Back in early April I negotiated a price, signed a purchase agreement and paid a deposit. Today the dealer calls me telling me the trailer has arrived but that Keystone increased their price so the now cannot honor my agreed to price. They want another 12%.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
For what it's worth here are comments from a JOF member 2 years ago as well as a comment on a FOREST RIVER forum as well as KEYSTONE forum. So this situation is not new.

From JOF..

I quickly read the fine print at the office and it looked ok. Then reread it at home, and it has a clause that says if the factory price goes up while it's being built, that the dealer can pass the increase on to us.

From FOREST RIVER.

Forest River is among those passing their increasing manufacturing costs of raw materials and parts on to the customer, which is not a huge surprise, given the state of the RV industry.

Even if the dealership has a buying order and signed contract on a unit to be built, those without price protection should expect a price hike of some kind, if scheduled for delivery after June 1.

From KEYSTONE:

Hi all,
I hope to be a new owner of a Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1700BH. Back in early April I negotiated a price, signed a purchase agreement and paid a deposit. Today the dealer calls me telling me the trailer has arrived but that Keystone increased their price so the now cannot honor my agreed to price. They want another 12%.
Not sure if I feel better about not being alone or worse that this is a systemic issue. To be clear, no language on any of our signed documents indicates that this is an estimate or that prices are subject to change.
Closed Thread