Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

Dealer Won't Service?

I purchased a 2015 Jayco Eagle 323LKTS from a dealer in Abilene, Texas in March, 2015. That dealer has now gone out of business, and I have moved to Lubbock. There is a Jayco dealer here, Pharr RV. However, when I called to have my slides adjusted, they informed me they will not work on my Jayco unless I purchased it from their dealership. I contacted Jayco customer service, and they basically said they could not do much for me, and would not require their licensed dealer to schedule my rig for service. Now, if I need my Schwintek slide to be adjusted, I have to go to someone who is not a licensed Jayco service center and probably has little experience on these type of slides, or drive over 150 miles to the nearest Jayco delaer, who may have the same rule as Pharr RV?? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

I'm sure you probably have an independent RV repair shop in your town that is more than capable to make your adjustments. Schwintek slides are very common through out the industry and not uncommon to any repair shop.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Well I never had this problem as I do everything myself. Dealers are in-depended and have those bad ideas not to service anyone who didn't bought from them. It is a sick thought......but that's the way it is. You can go to any RV dealer as slides are a common product from lippert or any other slide manufacturer. So go to a dealer close to you and who you trust to do good work.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

Have never been back to my Jayco dealer once any warranty adjustments were made. Much prefer my independent RV service center (service and parts only; no RV sales).
The components on RV's are standard across the industry, so there is no advantage to "Jayco" after warranty. Most big dealerships struggle to keep staff and usually have lots of junior staff who barely know what they are doing.
A small independent with technicians who have been there for years is a lot more trustworthy. Ask around your area for recommendations. I found my guy in a little booth at the RV show. He was showing off a sweet restored vintage trailer that he had done. Knew that was the kind of guy I wanted working on my unit (for the stuff I won't do myself).

ETA: and his backlog is generally only a couple of weeks (faster if your unit is down), rather than the months my local big Jayco dealer always quotes.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #5

I had a similar issue with a different manufacturer and the compromise was finding an independent near me that was willing to negotiate with the manufacturer and agree upon an price for doing the warranty work.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #6

You don't need a JAYCO dealer to adjust slides. As was mentioned any Mobile RV tech or RV service center (dealer) should be able to do the work since it is on your dime.
(out of warranty)

And as JAYCO said they cannot force a dealer to work on your unit, dealers are independent(they carry multiple brands) unlike auto dealers who are franchised to one manufacturer.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #7

Its really in poor taste. Any Jayco dealer telling me that wont ever get dime one in business from me..................... ever! This is a Jayco Mother ship problem. They need to control there network and IMO is total BS!
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #8

[Jim....Its really in poor taste. Any Jayco dealer telling me that wont ever get dime one in business from me..................... ever! This is a Jayco Mother ship problem. They need to control there network and IMO is total BS!]

Jim, nothing to get excited about. It is the RV industry built in the USA. Someday the RV industry will pay for this poor service they give their customers, but until then many have to live with the situation as it is.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
This is a Jayco Mother ship problem. They need to control there network and IMO is total BS!
Many dealers won't touch any BRAND they sell unless you bought it there. They are just understaffed and over booked. JAYCO, FOREST RIVER, or any manufacturer can't force them. I remember when TV sales and service shops did the same thing.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

In Canada it seems not so bad from what I have heard, maybe someone has can pitch in from Canada. A lot has to do when a dealer repair facility is overloaded with work and that is usual in the high season. Learn, learn, learn to fix things yourself, special when you are on the road.......unless your wallet doesn't care.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #11

Just the opposite with me. Bought our Jayco a year ago, Made appointment 15th of April for May 15th. Boyer RV in Erie,Pa. Did a walk around they put tape were the issue are. Entrance door needs replace, air conditioner vent tough to adjust. 2 weeks later they called. They have to contact Jayco for warranty work to replace the door. WHAT! You didn't do it yet? Been busy with other none Jayco owners. That's were we make our money. Be one month on the 15th no camper yet. First and last TT from BOYER RV IN ERIE PA.
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
Just the opposite with me. Bought our Jayco a year ago, Made appointment 15th of April for May 15th. Boyer RV in Erie,Pa. Did a walk around they put tape were the issue are. Entrance door needs replace, air conditioner vent tough to adjust. 2 weeks later they called. They have to contact Jayco for warranty work to replace the door. WHAT! You didn't do it yet? Been busy with other none Jayco owners. That's were we make our money. Be one month on the 15th no camper yet. First and last TT from BOYER RV IN ERIE PA.
I think that scenario applies to many dealers. The appt is for drop-off not the start of work. Hear it all the time.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #13

LegalEagle
Just curious, which dealer did you purchase from in Abilene that closed?
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
I purchased a 2015 Jayco Eagle 323LKTS from a dealer in Abilene, Texas in March, 2015. That dealer has now gone out of business, and I have moved to Lubbock. There is a Jayco dealer here, Pharr RV. However, when I called to have my slides adjusted, they informed me they will not work on my Jayco unless I purchased it from their dealership. I contacted Jayco customer service, and they basically said they could not do much for me, and would not require their licensed dealer to schedule my rig for service. Now, if I need my Schwintek slide to be adjusted, I have to go to someone who is not a licensed Jayco service center and probably has little experience on these type of slides, or drive over 150 miles to the nearest Jayco delaer, who may have the same rule as Pharr RV?? Has anyone else had this problem?

Dealers not serving rigs they didn’t sell is very common in the industry. It’s up to the individual dealer. Some won’t come right out and say it, rather they’ll schedule you an appointment 6 months out hoping you won’t wait and will go away.
If your out of warranty, just go to an independent shop. I’m sure they are just as familiar with schwintek slides as the dealers are.

I think it’s good to form a relationship with a smaller shop.
No corporate BS.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #15

These horror stories are bad business for the dealers, a couple weeks ago I blew out my black tank, my error, distracted while flushing the tank.

I am living in the trailer while transitioning between my current job, and moving to my next job.

The closest Jayco dealer is 3 hours away (Starcraft trailer), contacted Starcraft with my VIN number, received an email on tank specs within minutes, took it to Gardner RV in Great Falls (awesome brand new facility by the way), they scheduled me in (2 week back log, same as their competitors), supposed to be a 1 day repair job.

I took it in to them yesterday morning. They ran into complications and were not able to complete the job by the end of business. They offered up that they pull the trailer out of their yard, let me connect to their 30 amp power supply in their parking area, (granted I did not have water or toilet because it had been dismantled) and stay in the trailer for the night. This morning they again put the trailer in their shop, installed the new tank on the second day, because the coraplast was in bad shape they needed to replace it. Their stock was not adequate, and they would have to get more from competitors parts desk. Because they were not able to button it all up on the second day (today) they are coming to my campsite at the local KOA in the morning to complete the job AT MY SITE! Original estimate was parts plus 4-5 hours labor. They computed the bill for me prior to leaving this afternoon and stood by their commitment, the bill was itemized out, and they billed me for only 4 hours labor as their verbal estimate stated. Only extra charge was the coraplast as they did not anticipate this needing replaced.

KUDOS to Gardner RV in Great Falls Montana!

And no, I did not purchase my trailer from them, and never did they question my presence with an off brand trailer!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #16

KUDOS to Gardner RV in Great Falls Montana!

Flyrotor; thanks for the heads up on gardner rv , I will keep them in mind next time I am shopping for an rv.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #17

Geeze...what a scary thread to read first thing in the morning! Where’s my Valium?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #18

This really is the problem that most RV service centers are booked solid.

I do expect to get preferential treatment when I take my trailer where I bought it. And, I expect to not get preferential treatment when I go someplace else.

Even with preferential treatment it takes me several weeks to get an appointment, even for simple stuff.

The RV park we are based in frequently has a mobile repair truck doing work on someone's rig. When I asked the tech about it he said he has as much work as he wants, at premium prices. And, he will do warranty work, IF the owner is willing to pay the difference, ie, he chages more than the mfg is willing to pay.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #19

Jayco Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post

In Texas, the Franchise Agreement so states that the dealer doesn't have to perform warranty or service work unless they sold the unit. Camping World does exist in Lubbock...and they are a licensed Jayco dealer.

I live 110 miles from Lubbock, 65 miles from Amarillo and will go to Lubbock rather than deal with the Jayco (Sisemore Travel Land-Aka Camping World) in Amarillo for that exact reason.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #20

We bought out of state (8 hours away) as the local Jayco dealer was $7000 more, and did not want to order a unit with the options we wanted. Really wanted us to pay more for a lot unit that was not equipped like we wanted. I even offered to pay $1500 more to them to buy local than the out of state deal. No dice.

Of course, they will not service my unit.

Another dealer 2 hours away is happy to service my unit.....Guess who I will look hard at when time to buy again comes up?
The practice of only servicing the units you sell seems very short sited to me.....